Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: What would you pay to make your generator near silent?
I think honda and yamaha's are quiet enough - I have no issue running them all night in a campground 5 19.23%
I would pay up to $200 to reduce noise to near silent levels (35db) 12 46.15%
I would pay up to $500 to reduce noise to near silent 5 19.23%
I would pay more than $500 to reduce noise to near silent 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2011, 10:51 AM   #41
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
That's only 2400 pounds. You can fit those in your pickup bed.

I recommend flooded cell L16s as giving you more watt hours for your dollar though.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:58 AM   #42
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkspeed View Post
Yes it would work as long as there were no overhead structures to reflect the sound. The real goal is convert sound waves to heat and then dissipate said heat. Shhhh....

Or just freeze the sound in blocks and use it inside your Igloo cooler where it only makes a little noise as it thaws slowly...
Old 06-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #43
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer
That's only 2400 pounds. You can fit those in your pickup bed.

I recommend flooded cell L16s as giving you more watt hours for your dollar though.
L16's are a good choice. You could have a scaleable battery bank and only take with you what you needed for that trip.

If money was no object - supercapacitor
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
Chauvin , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
"Silent generator"=solar panels...
When I camp, the trailer is used to sleep in and store food/camping gear in, no tv, radio, coffee maker, air conditioning, xbox, blender, waffle maker etc. There to enjoy nature, family and friends, don't get me wrong I love my AS, but I spend as little time in it as possible!
lpatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
I was able to source some thin copper sheeting. I first sprayed an acid gel on the airstream, and the layed the copper sheeting over the entire trailer. I riveted those together with copper rivets, and then riveted the copper to the aluminum using a plastic glass impregnated rivet. The copper airstream really looks beautiful. The weight has icreased by maybe 700 lbs, but it is distributed evenly.

I just attached electrical leads to the trailer and the copper cover and run that through a resistance circuit module from an old solar array to modulate the power at 12v.

It's been great. I'm not sure the exact output yet, but it will run everything I need. The metals seem to heat up a little, and there is some off gassing from the acid matt, but other than that it's been great!

I have also noticed the trailer seems to get lighter over time, but I'm sure that's just my imagination.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #46
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Rob you gotta watch out for filiform corrosion with that setup.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #47
one of those

2011 27 FB International
nuther acid freak.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
What if.......the generator was sitting in a dish or box, attached to the top of the trailer (or TV) and the dish or box was sound insulated so that very little sound radiated to the sides, but was all reflected straight up. This would also allow heat to dissipate, and exhaust. But it should be feasible to make a baffle for the entire lower hemisphere of space below the generator so that people standing under it couldn't hear it.
Sounds like a little R&D and send off for a patten application
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Noise canceling frequency generator.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
I was able to source some thin copper sheeting. I first sprayed an acid gel on the airstream, and the layed the copper sheeting over the entire trailer. I riveted those together with copper rivets, and then riveted the copper to the aluminum using a plastic glass impregnated rivet. The copper airstream really looks beautiful. The weight has icreased by maybe 700 lbs, but it is distributed evenly.

I just attached electrical leads to the trailer and the copper cover and run that through a resistance circuit module from an old solar array to modulate the power at 12v.

It's been great. I'm not sure the exact output yet, but it will run everything I need. The metals seem to heat up a little, and there is some off gassing from the acid matt, but other than that it's been great!

I have also noticed the trailer seems to get lighter over time, but I'm sure that's just my imagination.
Rob do you ever park under a high voltage transmission line for a quick charge? I bet a lot of induction would go a long way with your setup.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #51
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsmith

Sounds like a little R&D and send off for a patten application
We did a roof mounted compressor in an open top box lined with dynamat extreme and it worked great until it was parked next to a warehouse block wall, then it could be heard due to reflection.
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #52
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I would not pay $200 to quit a generator. They are engines. Getting them to be 35db would be almost equivilent to background noise.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:33 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

Evergreen , Colorado
So far this thread has been really informative. I would have guessed that 75% or more would want a quieter generator. But honestly the majority of respondents have stated they are quite happy with the current noise levels put out by Honda's and Yamaha's. Guess that means we shouldn't expect them to work on this as there doesn't seem to be a demand - though the post about the other potential improvements included some nice upgrade ideas.

Appreciate all the honest feedback though so far.
Nightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:02 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwatch View Post
Well we all know that honda and yamaha generators are fairly quiet - around the 58 db range. But if you have ever gone tent camping in a campground with RV's/trailers you know that even these quiet generators create quite a bit of noise. Ideally - generators would run at about 35db in my opinion, which would allow people to run them at night without other campers really even hearing them at all. I can think of several instances where this would be nice - running AC, CPAP/Oxygen machines etc.

So my question is, what would you be willing to pay to lower your honda or yamaha generator to the 35db range?
Hi, although polls aren't always worded to reflect the feelings or thoughts of the posters, my polls included, I think that if the first question stopped at the first sentence, more people including me would have voted. I do think the Yamahas and Hondas are reasonably quiet, but I don't and wouldn't run mine all night long. Therefore I cannot vote for any of the choices given.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:37 AM   #55
one of those

2011 27 FB International
ah, but if nobody could hear it at all, would you run it more?
Old 06-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
ah, but if nobody could hear it at all, would you run it more?
Hi, good question, but it would more than likely be wasting fuel, and have more exposure to theft and vandalism. [I can't hear my generator anymore; Has it run out of gas, or was it stolen?]

I wouldn't let my car run all night, I wouldn't let a camp fire burn all night, and I wouldn't leave a generator unattended or running all night either. All about the same thing to me.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 06-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #57
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Well, you didn't exactly answer the question about whether you would use the generator more if it was totally quiet. I think you said that no, you wouldn't because it would be wasting fuel, and might get stolen in the dark without you knowing.

lots of truck drivers leave their engines running all night. But man, them are some noisy places.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:49 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Also, I don't think anyone is asking if you would run the generator at night just for the sake of running the generator. If the AC quit blowing cold air and you starting sweating like a pig, you would probably notice.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Well, you didn't exactly answer the question about whether you would use the generator more if it was totally quiet. I think you said that no, you wouldn't because it would be wasting fuel, and might get stolen in the dark without you knowing.

lots of truck drivers leave their engines running all night. But man, them are some noisy places.
Hi, Gringo. Let me see if I can answer your question in another way. I only use my generator when I need it so the amount of noise [or lack of noise] isn't a factor. But I'm sure if I owned a contractors generator, It might effect how long I run it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 06-18-2011, 05:23 AM   #60
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Okay, I think I got it.

So, the way you're set up right now, if you were camping someplace in Arizona or Texas, and it was 100 deg. at two in the morning, and you wanted your air conditioner on, you would fire up your generator at 2 am, whether it made noise or not.

I am thinking that I would tend not to use a "conventional" generator in the middle of the night, whereas I would probably use one of the mythical silent ones that this thread is about.

Of course, this completely skirts the issue of air conditioner noise in and of itself.