Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #21
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

I always use sta-bil during storage. I do leave the treated gas in tank.

Ours has dual use LPG conversion, I shut down gas supply, (top clamp above yellow LPG line), run 'til it stumbles, shut down and drain carb. SFSG.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HONDA CONVERSION add vid pix2-3 006.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	548.6 KB
ID:	150468  
Old 02-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
So, do they have propane carbs for Honda or Yamaha gens?

Propane lasts much longer ...
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
DO NOT PUT ETHANOL in your generator. It is sits more than a few weeks that stuff will cause corrosion. If you use pure gas and something like Stabil you can probably go 6 months. Stabil does not work with Ethanol. If you can run it periodically that would be the best. Maybe once a month. Shutting off the gas and running it till it dies will help a lot. If you leave the gas on it tend to evaporate from the carb and then more comes in and it evaporates till you have a lot of gunk in the float bowl. This gunk won't ignite even if it makes it through the jets. It will fowl your plug.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #24
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOutDoors View Post
So, do they have propane carbs for Honda or Yamaha gens?

Propane lasts much longer ...
GoD,

Yes....same carb, modified venturi to accept the LPG supply line.

Yamaha too...

I was able to use the Honda during a power outage this Winter without having to fill the gas tank, nice feature.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PROPANE CONVERSION, HONDA 2000 001.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	150484  
Old 02-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
GoD,

I was able to use the Honda during a power outage this Winter without having to fill the gas tank, nice feature.

Bob
Well, that's the way to go: forget the gas and all the related issues and go with propane!

For this reason I went with a propane outfit (Onan Microlight). Mounted it under the queen in the back, starts from a switch inside, and runs off the propane tanks of the trailer.

Don't have worry about it walking off and don't have to worry about fouled carbs.

Propane - its good for what ail's them!
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Propane is a great idea. Many home backup generators use propane because of the ability to sit for long periods of time and start right up.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #27
Noob

2009 22' Sport
Columbus , Texas
I'm applying information gleaned from the wildland firefighting community regarding portable pumps.

When I shut down my generator, I use this sequence: While the engine is running, shut off the fuel petcock. As the engine starts to stumble (from lack of fuel), push the choke lever to full choke. It will smooth out. When it starts to stumble once again, shake the genset a little bit. (This will get the last drops of gas that may be 'hiding in the corners' somewhere.) I find this easier than taking carb bowls or drains loose.

I keep stabilizer in the fuel at all times. Generator starts right up, first pull nearly every time (unless it's really cold outside, then it's the 2nd pull.)

I also run the generator every 30 days, under some load.