Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2022, 01:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
The A/C is electric; they're using the propane to run their generators (ie, you can convert your Honda to run on propane).
I just went back and reread the OP post and realized I misread it.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 03:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
I just went back and reread the OP post and realized I misread it.
No worries! We all do occasionally. And for everyone who doesn't ask the question, there's several others who are wondering but not asking about, so it's always a good thing to clarify when needed....
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 10:28 PM   #23
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Smiles View Post
My 2005 30' Classic also has 40# propane tanks. When I get a completely empty one filled the valve shuts off the fill at just over 9 gallons (let's say 9.3). So at 4.11 pounds/gallon, that is 38.2 pounds of propane. Pretty close to 40 pounds. Sorry for the thread highjack!!
Hi

Here's the gotcha:

They aren't supposed to use the internal shutoff as the limiter when they fill. Yes, they do indeed do it this way at various places. Instead they are supposed to do it by weight. The weight limit is *lower* than the internal shutoff.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 02:18 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Nope, if they only give you 24 lbs in a 30# cylinder it is not filled to 80%, a 30# cylinder holds 37.5 pounds minus 20%.

Yes most of the exchange cylinders do only have 15 lbs, that is just to trick people into thinking it's the same price or cheaper to exchange then to get your cylinders refilled.
The “exchange” cylinders are usually properly marked as to their fill…so it’s not a “trick”. Since you exchange cylinders, the reduced fill is to offset the costs of recertifying and culling old tanks which are traded-in but cannot be refilled.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 09:57 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
St. Louis , Missouri
Expect One LPG Tank Per Day Per A/C

One LPG tank/AC/day is a good planning estimate on my trailer. Actual consumption varies with the actual weather, and with other demands for LPG. Due to the comparative hassle of refilling our 30# LPG tanks vs. refilling our 2.5 gal gasoline cans and generator gasoline tank, we always prefer to burn gasoline in the generator. We use LPG in the generator only as a backup measure.
Skrausestl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:36 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Here's the gotcha:

They aren't supposed to use the internal shutoff as the limiter when they fill. Yes, they do indeed do it this way at various places. Instead they are supposed to do it by weight. The weight limit is *lower* than the internal shutoff.

Bob
I don't know about where you live, but almost all propane sellers around here do not use weight. I think I have been to one that does that in my 30+ years of having tanks filled. They do always open the vent screw that starts spewing liquid propane when full, this happens at about the same (or slightly before) time the internal valve shuts the flow off.
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 06:52 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
The “exchange” cylinders are usually properly marked as to their fill…so it’s not a “trick”. Since you exchange cylinders, the reduced fill is to offset the costs of recertifying and culling old tanks which are traded-in but cannot be refilled.
Then why is it that on a trip to an exchange place everyone of about 30 tanks had the label folded over so it covered the "properly marked as to their fill" on the label?
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:31 AM   #28
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Smiles View Post
I don't know about where you live, but almost all propane sellers around here do not use weight. I think I have been to one that does that in my 30+ years of having tanks filled. They do always open the vent screw that starts spewing liquid propane when full, this happens at about the same (or slightly before) time the internal valve shuts the flow off.
Hi

At the places I go around home, they read the numbers off the side of the tank, put it on the scale, and set the scale to trip out at that number. No gas spraying around and a very safe process.

Yes, at some campgrounds they do it a bit differently. They blow off a bunch of expensive gas in the process and charge you for it ... Having that gas spray all over is not exactly ideal from a safety standpoint.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:01 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Milpitas , California
I have a Champion 3400 that I run only on propane. I carry two 20lb propane tanks just for the generator. I can run one AC in my FC30RB (I don't have soft starts) for 14 hours on a single 20lb tank. I live on the west coast and I have never had any trouble finding propane, but I have not had my rig east of Louisville yet. Perhaps propane is harder to find on the east coast?
2015 Ram 2500 Cummins 6.7L
JayOhBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 06:31 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Then why is it that on a trip to an exchange place everyone of about 30 tanks had the label folded over so it covered the "properly marked as to their fill" on the label?
Soooo….You NOTICED the label which “properly marked” the amount…..but still cannot figure out how much propane is in the tanks?
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:21 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Soooo….You NOTICED the label which “properly marked” the amount…..but still cannot figure out how much propane is in the tanks?
I noticed it and that they tried to make it so people wouldn't.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:58 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Propane use in this scenario is 90% about your AC usage. Assuming an electric fridge, the rest is the small stuff: stove, oven, external or regular tank LP for grill/fire pit, etc. Not counting solar too much here for the power issues.

If it 85-100 plus outside and you start with an internal temp that is ambient from sitting outside (85-100 degrees inside depending on temp, sunlight, shade, humidity), it will take a few to several hours to cool the trailer down. This will kill your propane tank level. If you have 2 Champions at 2.5k watts each (the only way you can possibly run 2 AC units) running together for 2 AC units (Easy Start) you very quickly can use 50% of a 30# tank just to get to 78 or so over about 3-4 hours. Remember to close all the blinds and put the awnings out as well.

In my experience, if you start the generators up in the morning when the temp is 60-75 outside and run to that same 85-100 degree heat of the afternoon, you can actually run on Eco some of the time and use 25% of one tank for a whole day which is pretty good in that heat and way better than 50% for 3-4 hours.

This is like the endless debate about heating and cooling your house with a programmable thermostat. For me, with 2x home AC/heat pump units that are Lennox HE units that are beyond the old 1,2 or 3 stage units of the old days, it runs in increments of basically 1-100. I have found it is way more efficient to let these run all the time at a set temp during seriosu heat or cold than to drastically change it during the day or night and have a huge ramp up for several hours straight to make up a 10 degree deficit.

All things being equal, same for your Champions and running the AC in your AS.
WellSaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote