Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2021, 07:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cleveland , Tennessee
How do you wash / wax under the solar Panels?

I am new to this forum and have only recently ordered a Flying Cloud 23 FB. I'm just wondering, with so much said about washing, waxing and polishing on other sub forums, aren't those roof surfaces just as important to include, if not more so? Then if much of the roof is covered with solar panels, how is that surface area dealt with? Can the panels be detached from the brackets securing them to the roof easily, one at a time? Or is this considered altogether unnecessary since the panels tend to protect the underlying surface? Is anyone cleaning and waxing underneath, how often, and how easily?
koberudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
I've had the solar panels on the roof of my 25FB Globetrotter for about a year and haven't cleaned under them yet, although I wash the rest of the roof with a long handled RV brush and car wash soap.

I think the panels probably protect the roof underneath from most of the damaging effects of the weather but it no doubt gets pretty dirty under there so it should probably be cleaned eventually. When the time comes I won't remove the panels completely.

Mine are secured by 4 bolts to brackets that are fixed to the roof. I will remove the 2 bolts closest to the side of the trailer and loosen the two rear ones so the panels can be pivoted upward slightly. That should give enough room to get underneath to clean without having to completely remove them from the trailer.

That's the plan, anyway.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
We use a power washer directed under our one solar panel. Usually knocks a lot of leaves, pollen, and dirt out.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:37 PM   #4
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
How do you wash / wax under the solar Panels?

Short answer is no for me. Rain takes care of that. Don’t overthink cleaning / Re-sealing elements on the painted roof. It’s a once every 5 year thing for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0604.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	401212  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:08 AM   #5
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
20 years just power wash under each Spring then hose under them each time I wash the AS. Basically there is about one inch of clearance - not much you can do with than :-)
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
I don't like the idea of power washing an Airstream because water can be forced into seams and joints that might not leak otherwise. I use a wash mitt on a short pole that can pivot almost flat to get under things like the solar panels. A standard stream from a hose can then rinse away dirt loosened by the mitt. It doesn't take much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wash Mitt.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	401226  
Old 08-07-2021, 11:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
I have maybe an inch of clearance under my panels so no wash brush or other device is going to fit under there, I also stay away from power washing because I don't want to chance forcing water into places it shouldn't be going, like the cable connections under the panels.

I don't think it's necessary to clean under the panels every time I wash the trailer but it's guaranteed that dirt and crud will accumulate over time so I'll lift and clean every once in a while.

Old 08-07-2021, 11:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrowne View Post
I don't like the idea of power washing an Airstream because water can be forced into seams and joints that might not leak otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
I also stay away from power washing because I don't want to chance forcing water into places it shouldn't be going, like the cable connections under the panels.
As mentioned above, I use a power washer for cleaning under our solar panel. Not only that, for nearly 20 years (since the trailer was new) I have power washed the entire trailer. After every power wash, I do check inside the trailer to see if anything has leaked, much preferring the thought of finding any leak then rather than while camping with the Airstream. During those nearly 20 years, no leaks have been associated with my power washing.
Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
As mentioned above, I use a power washer for cleaning under our solar panel. Not only that, for nearly 20 years (since the trailer was new) I have power washed the entire trailer. After every power wash, I do check inside the trailer to see if anything has leaked, much preferring the thought of finding any leak then rather than while camping with the Airstream. During those nearly 20 years, no leaks have been associated with my power washing.
Tim
The last time I power washed my previous Classic, I inadvertently forced water into a couple of side marker light housings where it continued to reside for months, so I switched to an RV brush. Besides, I now use a water deionizer which isn't compatible with a pressure washer.

With the solar panels on my current Airstream, since I can't examine how weather proof the connection points are underneath the panels, I've been doubly loathe to spray high pressure water under there. Maybe I'm being over-cautious, but to each his own. I'm glad you've had no issues with pressure washing your trailer and panels so far.

Old 08-08-2021, 08:21 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 Atlas
Charlotte , North Carolina
My panels have T-knobs that let me lift them or tilt them. Their main purpose is really to let me wash underneath them. I use a ladder propped against the AS with enough cushion, and raise the panels and wash, scrub, clean under the wires, inspect the caulk and wire connections, etc. it definitely needs washing under there. I tend to use shade to keep the rig cooler when I can(irony) but trees deposit stuff. It is the dirtiest part of our rig.
Old 08-08-2021, 09:48 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cleveland , Tennessee
What is a "T knob"? Is that similar to a wing nut?
koberudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:22 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
I'm supposed to wash & wax under solar panels??????
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:55 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Crescent City , California
Car detailing pressure regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrowne View Post
I don't like the idea of power washing an Airstream because water can be forced into seams and joints that might not leak otherwise. I use a wash mitt on a short pole that can pivot almost flat to get under things like the solar panels. A standard stream from a hose can then rinse away dirt loosened by the mitt. It doesn't take much.
You can pick up a regulator that lowers the pressure from any fine auto detailer. They are used on high-end autos to avoid precisely what you said. Can't have water droplets on that fine leather!
Gun2Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:49 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Backing up a bit:

Why are we even doing this? Wax (at least most of them) contains abrasives. It will deteriorate your roof rather than improve it. It's only value is appearance. Nobody can see the roof under the solar panels so .... hmmmm....

Washing out dead squirrels I do understand. A very normal garden hose will blow them and any leaves out.

What you *do* need to do every so often is to mop off the *top* side of your solar panels. Nothing fancy, just simple soap and water. Use a nice soft mop with no sand or grit in it from a previous use. Rinse well with the garden hose when done.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote