Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2008, 11:12 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray5
68 db is MUCH louder than 58db. A regular construction generatr is rated at 80db and they are obnoxious even at fifty feet.
Bob,

I agree with jayray5 about 68db being louder than 58db, but what I have found is that MOST of the other campers have similar gens (70db or greater) and unless you are alone or with only folks with 58db gens, "it dont' make no difference." I never hear my Yamaha 3000, mostly because I hear everybody elese's gens. I have also found that most camgrounds don't police the noise issue until well after the gen time.

As for the Onan vs Yamaha, heck, I really liked the Yamaha 2400, but with the same engine as the 3000, and a fuel tank half the size, the run time was too short for me. The larger fuel tank and the PRICE would push me to try the Onan. If it works out to be too loud, keep it as a back up for the house.

time
Old 05-31-2008, 02:18 PM   #62
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The first night that I was stranded by a winter storm last weekend there were six trailer stuck in the snow. Each had a Honda Generator (4 2000's & 2 1000's). During the storm covered with ice and snow at 8200 feet in elevation each started on the first pull and ran with no issues. It would have made a great commercial. Here is mine (EU1000i) a day or two later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1553.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	61469  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:06 PM   #63
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, I'm pretty much sold on the Yamaha 2400 generator, but I just came up with another option; Onan 2400....
hi robert

onan has some nice reliable gensets and they do have a WIDE dealer/service network.

regardless, resale is easier and higher for red or blue ones...

i think o' does make a 'quieter' series now too...

the unit u list is about 4 TIMES louder than the yam' listed.

that's a lot IF it is running anywhere near full capacity.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/208822-post12.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/439416-post13.html

think about it this way...

INSIDE your trailer with the a/c running u will NOT hear the yamaha...

INSIDE your trialer with the a/c running u WILL hear the onan...

and so will the neighbors.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:20 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Costco - Cummins Onan Inverter Generators

Costco. Onans with the quiet pack. JUST ANOTHER THING TO THINK ABOUT. But, after doing extensive reasearch why..or why would anyone buy anything but a Honda?????? If cost is NOT a big thing. If cost is a big thing...then I understand.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:54 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFord79
Costco - Cummins Onan Inverter Generators

Costco. Onans with the quiet pack. JUST ANOTHER THING TO THINK ABOUT. But, after doing extensive reasearch why..or why would anyone buy anything but a Honda?????? If cost is NOT a big thing. If cost is a big thing...then I understand.
Hi, DFord79. I also looked at the Onan Inverter generators, and for what they cost, they are too close in price to the similar Honda's and Yamaha's. So for about another $100.00 I would buy the Honda or Yamaha. But I'm comparing two generators that are similar in abilities with a hugh difference in price. [$1080.00 vesus $350.00] 1/3 the price. The two biggest draw backs, for me, are weight and noise. Is that worth $730.00? I can afford any generator that I want, but I have to ask myself if it is, "Penny Wise or Dollar Foolish?" And I'm always open to your opinions, that's why I posted this in the first place.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:20 AM   #66
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
Cheyenne , Wyoming
used eu2000i on craigslist

for those in the Portland area I just saw this as on Craigslist
for a eu2000i $550
Honda EU2000i Generator
Blog
WyoRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:59 AM   #67
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
ROBERTSUNRUS,

I agree completely. The balance of money versus fuction is always important. I love when people share opinions. Actually I have been lookin hard at the Onan 4300 NOT because of price or quiet ( quiet is very impotant though) but because it is a 4300 watt genny. It fills a gap between the Honda 3000 and the Honda 6500 quiet gennys. Yamaha has a 4500 quiet pack genny just introducted last month also. It retails for about $3,300 dollars though. but the Onan fills that gap.

I would jump at the Honda EU 3000 if it would do everything I want it to do. But its just shy of enough genny to boondock with A/C running and wanting to run the micro and charge the batteries at the same time. A 4,300 watt or bigger will also run at idle where the smaller gennys might be screaming full song while multitasking. And the Honda EU 6500 will definitly fill the bill....at close to 4 grand though. But I would also have a great house backup with the Honda 6500.

When I do finally jump in and make my final decisions (your probably wondering why I am taking so long, I have hip replacement surgery schedualed for July 7th) I want to do this right. NO second thoughts. I want to buy what I need and not look back. After all this is retirement and time is running out. I will probably buy with a bit of overkill in mind but at least I won't look back and say "I with I had spent a few more dollars and got the best". At least thats my plan. God willing, hip surgery successfull and the creek don't rise.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:51 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
I was just planning on buying a Honda 2000 until I started to do more research. In the end I spent the extra $100 on the chance that the Yamaha 2400 watt would run my A/C. I went through Wise Sales and it was on my doorstep the next day with free shipping.

It powered up the A/C like there was nothing to it. My A/C draws 15.8 amps and the generator provides 16.7 amps so there's not much room for anything else, but at least I have the option for A/C if I need it.

I figured the A/C would have that baby revved up pretty high but it didn't sound like it was much higher than the idle speed. Very impressive. My vote is for the Yamaha.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:22 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLoaf
I was just planning on buying a Honda 2000 until I started to do more research. In the end I spent the extra $100 on the chance that the Yamaha 2400 watt would run my A/C. I went through Wise Sales and it was on my doorstep the next day with free shipping.

It powered up the A/C like there was nothing to it. My A/C draws 15.8 amps and the generator provides 16.7 amps so there's not much room for anything else, but at least I have the option for A/C if I need it.

I figured the A/C would have that baby revved up pretty high but it didn't sound like it was much higher than the idle speed. Very impressive. My vote is for the Yamaha.
Although I ended up with the Yamaha 3000, I first tried the Yamaha 2400, and as TinLoaf states, the 2400 ran our 13,500 AC with no problem, at least at sea level. At idle speed, the 2400 is louder than the 3000, but it really didn't sound any louder than the 3000 at full load. It is my understanding that the two share the same gas engine. The difference in the price and weight is huge between the two, roughly twice for the 3000. The 2400 is witjout doubt a better financial deal over the 3000.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
The Yamaha 2400 is 2400 watts max output. It is not rated at 2400 continuous load. Would you operate your vehicle continuously at the red line or just beneath it knowing full well you are still "within" operating limits? I think operating your AC with the Yamaha 2400 is asking for trouble in the short term as in premature failure of your AC or a very short life of the generator. Better financial deal, I'm not convinced. Having purchased the Yamaha, I quickly got rid of it and might have opted for the 3000 with boost, but I think the best investment lies with two Honda 2000"s as it gives plenty of power and many options available with running one or two depending on your needs du jour.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Has anyone tried a Honda i1000 and a i2000 together to run A/C?? Just curious...
Old 06-01-2008, 06:03 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
Quote:
Would you operate your vehicle continuously at the red line or just beneath it knowing full well you are still "within" operating limits?
After the initial surge the 2400 was only running at about half speed to power the A/C. Not even close to redline. These little generators are built for the severe duty of running long periods of time on a load. I don't think it will be a problem. Besides, I will probably use the generator to run the A/C maybe 10% of the time.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:08 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLoaf
After the initial surge the 2400 was only running at about half speed to power the A/C. Not even close to redline. These little generators are built for the severe duty of running long periods of time on a load. I don't think it will be a problem. Besides, I will probably use the generator to run the A/C maybe 10% of the time.
Same here..A/C not always needed in Michigan and If I need it I do have a 3500 Honda on wheels that works great..I also have a little i1000 to keep batteries topped off too. I very seldom use it because Im usually in a RV park with 30 or 50 amps...
Old 06-01-2008, 07:45 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Port Orchard , Washington
I have read other forums about EU1000 and EU2000 being run together.
They have stated, the generator owners, that it works fine.

My drawback to the situation?
If I hook up my Jack Russel with the neighbors black lab,
to pull my dogsled, whick one pulls more?
And would my Jack still like me when it's all over?
He has a good memory,
and knows how the power door locks to the truck work.
Ask me how I know.

I think the EU1000 will try to put in half of the power,
And work it's little guts out.
Druupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:30 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

1981 27' Excella II
Lynnwood , Washington
Quote:
I also looked at the Onan Inverter generators, and for what they cost, they are too close in price to the similar Honda's and Yamaha's. So for about another $100.00 I would buy the Honda or Yamaha. But I'm comparing two generators that are similar in abilities with a hugh difference in price. [$1080.00 vesus $350.00] 1/3 the price. The two biggest draw backs, for me, are weight and noise. Is that worth $730.00? I can afford any generator that I want, but I have to ask myself if it is, "Penny Wise or Dollar Foolish?" And I'm always open to your opinions, that's why I posted this in the first place.
I've not looked at the Onan at Costco but at $350 it sounds like a China (throw away) special so buyer be ware! I doubt if a Onan dealer would be much help for service. Both the Honda and Yamaha have good track records and IMO are worth the extra $$.

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Ifihadtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:46 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
What a timely thread. My 1000 Watt 150 dollar Chinese generator bit the dust yesterday after 2.5 years of use rebuilding my boat the generator lasted a year and half longer than I expected. I have read all the post and opinions and at first favored going with the Yamaha 2400 but after talking with the wife we will do a Honda eu2000. The reason is simple it is a modular system, buy one eu2000 now and if more power is need add a second. Weight is a big issue I used a 82 pound generator today to finish some repairs and it is on the outer limits on what I can handle. 70 pounds for the Yamaha is still heavy so the Honda wins. The wife can also move the Honda around if need be.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:36 AM   #77
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Mixing the two genny;s 1000 and 2000 according to Honda is a NO. Although I read in these forums it has been done. But, Logic should tell you its might not be a good idea.

The Onan inverter Generators that Costco sells on thier WEB SITE are made in the US. They are NOT cheap. Price range is similar to Yamaha.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:48 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druupy
If I hook up my Jack Russel with the neighbors black lab,
to pull my dogsled, whick one pulls more?
And would my Jack still like me when it's all over?
He has a good memory,
and knows how the power door locks to the truck work.
Ask me how I know.

I think the EU1000 will try to put in half of the power,
And work it's little guts out.
Great analogy, particularly using the JR example.

I also learned never to leave Molly the JR AND the keys in the car at the same time - after I had to call Sam to bring me the extra set of keys so I could back get in!
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:24 AM   #79
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
As somewhat of an "aside," I have an Onan 6500 Home Power generator and it is the most cantankerous machine to start (---electric start) I've ever owned. I've been back and forth with the dealer on what the problem might be - but to no avail. Generally, it'll start just fine during the summertime monthly exercise periods and become more difficult as the winter closes in - but when you really need it during a winter outage - no way! On the other hand, I have two of the Honda 2000i generators plus a Honda-powered mower. Any one of the Hondas will start within 3 pulls of the starter rope - no matter how long they've sat - and always on the first pull if they are being regularly used (i.e. - the lawnmower!) I've even thought about putting a 100 watt lightbulb shining on the Onan carburetor during the winter (---to keep it warm) - but that's truly a bit ridiculous! Oh - I forgot - I had an Onan 2800 on my old Winnebago motorhome that was also a bit cantankerous. It had a remote starter inside and if it didn't start right away you had to wait 10 minutes and try again. Otherwise you would simply run the battery down. Personally, I'll never buy another Onan powered piece of equipment - but perhaps others have had better luck.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:50 PM   #80
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
As somewhat of an "aside," I have an Onan 6500 Home Power generator and it is the most cantankerous machine to start (---electric start) I've ever owned. I've been back and forth with the dealer on what the problem might be - but to no avail. Generally, it'll start just fine during the summertime monthly exercise periods and become more difficult as the winter closes in - but when you really need it during a winter outage - no way! On the other hand, I have two of the Honda 2000i generators plus a Honda-powered mower. Any one of the Hondas will start within 3 pulls of the starter rope - no matter how long they've sat - and always on the first pull if they are being regularly used (i.e. - the lawnmower!) I've even thought about putting a 100 watt lightbulb shining on the Onan carburetor during the winter (---to keep it warm) - but that's truly a bit ridiculous! Oh - I forgot - I had an Onan 2800 on my old Winnebago motorhome that was also a bit cantankerous. It had a remote starter inside and if it didn't start right away you had to wait 10 minutes and try again. Otherwise you would simply run the battery down. Personally, I'll never buy another Onan powered piece of equipment - but perhaps others have had better luck.
Onan- Gas propane or LNG?

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote