Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2019, 03:52 AM   #1
"Hey, I know you!"

Chapin , South Carolina
Honda eu220i safety and emission recall

Found this today - Dated 2/12/19
Dear Honda Power Equipment Dealer, American Honda is issuing a Stop Sale Notice for certain EB2200i and EU2200i generators. In some units, the screws used to assemble the fuel valve may loosen during use and can leak fuel. If gasoline or gasoline vapors leak, a fire or explosion could occur. A fuel leak caused by this issue typically is identified as a result of smelling a strong fuel odor before, during, or after operation, or seeing fuel underneath the generator.

Affected Units American Honda Inventory: Currently all affected American Honda warehouse inventory is on hold.Units in Dealer Inventory: Tag affected units and place them in a secure location to prevent retail sale or rental. We have attached a printout showing non-registered units within the affected ranges that have been purchased by your dealership from American Honda. Units within the affected serial number ranges cannot be sold or placed into service until they have been repaired, as required by law. If a dealer sells an unrepaired unit after being notified of this safety/emissions recall and stop sale notice, any injury or damage that occurs as a result is the responsibility of the dealer.Retailed Units: Customers with affected units, that have been registered, will be notified of the recall by letter after release of the service bulletin. If you have sold, but not yet registered any units, please register them immediately. Replacement Parts: Replacement parts will be available with the release of the service bulletin. American Honda will be issuing a service bulletin with detailed repair instructions, expected in early March. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this issue may cause.If you have any questions, please contact your Honda District Sales Manager or District Service Manager.

http://www.hanessupply.com/content/p...ll_2-12-19.pdf
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the heads up!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:29 AM   #3
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Dear Honda Power Equipment Dealer, American Honda is issuing a Stop Sale Notice for certain EB2200i and EU2200i generators. In some units, the screws used to assemble the fuel valve may loosen during use and can leak fuel. If gasoline or gasoline vapors leak, a fire or explosion could occur. A fuel leak caused by this issue typically is identified as a result of smelling a strong fuel odor before, during, or after operation, or seeing fuel underneath the generator.
[...]
I've got a winner! My EU2200i was registered with Honda but no word (yet) by mail.

Thanks Boog!
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
I have one of the propane 2200i Companion converted units from Genconnex. The serial number is within the range specified on the notice. I’ve written Genconnex to see whether this issue affects their propane-converted units. I’ll report back when I get a response.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Had my 2000i and companion for more than 5 years. No problems,
Old 02-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
I have one of the propane 2200i Companion converted units from Genconnex. The serial number is within the range specified on the notice. I’ve written Genconnex to see whether this issue affects their propane-converted units. I’ll report back when I get a response.

Received email confirmation from Genconnex that this does not affect propane conversion units.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:52 AM   #7
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Had my 2000i and companion for more than 5 years. No problems,
This recall only applies to EU2200i and EB2200i generators.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:45 AM   #8
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
I bought a new 2200i on January 14,2019 to replace one that was stolen in December. It stopped running three weeks later. As soon as it started to take on a load it would stall out. I called several Honda service centers but they had no clue. I called Honda Corporate and they told me what the problem was and that they anticipated a recall in March, and that there would be a replacement part. I am running a Honda 6500 in the interim...
Old 02-25-2019, 02:45 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post

Affected Units American Honda Inventory: Currently all affected American Honda warehouse inventory is on hold.Units in Dealer Inventory: Tag affected units and place them in a secure location to prevent retail sale or rental. We have attached a printout showing non-registered units within the affected ranges that have been purchased by your dealership from American Honda. Units within the affected serial number ranges cannot be sold or placed into service until they have been repaired, as required by law. If a dealer sells an unrepaired unit after being notified of this safety/emissions recall and stop sale notice, any injury or damage that occurs as a result is the responsibility of the dealer.Retailed Units: Customers with affected units, that have been registered, will be notified of the recall by letter after release of the service bulletin. If you have sold, but not yet registered any units, please register them immediately. Replacement Parts: Replacement parts will be available with the release of the service bulletin. American Honda will be issuing a service bulletin with detailed repair instructions, expected in early March. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this issue may cause.If you have any questions, please contact your Honda District Sales Manager or District Service Manager.

Thanks for posting this. I am curious how you found it? I purchased a Honda Generator EU2200i in July, 2018 but forgot to register it at the time. When I got it, I converted it to propane for the purpose of not using and carrying gasoline. Thanks to you, I now know mine is amongst the recalled ones AND I have now registered it so that Honda can notify me when they release the service bulletin. So, thank you again!
911Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:19 PM   #10
"Hey, I know you!"

Chapin , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911Airstream View Post
Thanks for posting this. I am curious how you found it?

I read rumors about a problem with the eu2200i’s. The Honda dealers had all the other models listed with a price and the 2200i’s listed as “call for information”. I was going to call the local dealer today, but I found the information that I posted early this AM. I don’t have one yet, but I was in the process of scouring eBay and Craigslist. I think that I’ll hold off for now, or buy a cheapo.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Presumably [?] Honda has corrected the problem, so that models currently for sale are OK?

Honda's website lists: https://powerequipment.honda.com/gen...models/eu2200i

https://www.amazon.com/Honda-2200-Wa.../dp/B079YF1HF6

I would call a dealer and check. Probably water over the dam and under the bridge already IMO.

Peter
Old 02-25-2019, 08:50 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Even though I don't plan on using gasoline, I still want to have the repair made by Honda because, you just never know.
911Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:16 AM   #13
"Hey, I know you!"

Chapin , South Carolina
Here's the official gubment notice: https://www.cpsc.gov/recalls/2019/am...d-burn-hazards
Old 03-22-2019, 04:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI

Click on orange arrow to go to new thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoCox View Post
For those who own the 2200. FYI.

[URL="https://powerequipment.honda.com/support/recalls-and-updates"]

American Honda is recalling about 200,000 portable generators that can leak gasoline from the fuel valve, posing a fire and burn hazard. The Consumer Product Safety Commission says Honda has received 19 reports of fuel leaks involving EU2200i and EB2200i portable generators.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:47 PM   #15
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Honda service centers are starting to get parts for this recall. I just got my repaired EU2200i back today.