Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2017, 06:25 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblee1950 View Post
I called GC and talked with tech, who said it sounded like a bad spark plug. I thought, hmmm never heard of that but I wanted to rule it in or out. I just happened to have a new plug so installed and started it up, wow! Surge was gone. Seems there are some plugs in a bad lot that run for a few minutes and then break down causing the symptoms I had. All seems well for now.
When I received my conversion kit, they sent a new spark plug with it, did yours include a plug and was this the bad one?
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:07 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Hey, Randy. No they didn't send me a plug. It was the one delivered with the gen.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:46 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
That's interesting, might be because I have the larger generator, it was last year but I believe the paperwork said the gap was different.

Yup, just checked their PDFs, just the large ones do.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:16 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblee1950 View Post
Hope this helps someone with a new h2000. I fired up my new Honda that I had converted a few weeks ago and it ran good while I had it plugged into AS. After checking things out, about 15minutes I came out and within a few minutes the gen started gasping for breath. It would die if set to Eco and still surged on normal. Didn't know what I could have done wrong installing conversion kit so I took it apart again to check everything out. Didn't see anything obvious so put it back together and had same thing. I called GC and talked with tech, who said it sounded like a bad spark plug. I thought, hmmm never heard of that but I wanted to rule it in or out. I just happened to have a new plug so installed and started it up, wow! Surge was gone. Seems there are some plugs in a bad lot that run for a few minutes and then break down causing the symptoms I had. All seems well for now.

Update. I ran gen this morning plugged up to AS for 30 minutes on Eco and operated a few small draw things in camper. Not a hickup! Then turned on the AC and it kicked in beautifully. I ran gen another 20 min and then turned off AC, gen went back to Eco mode and ran smoothly. If you're wondering, I have the east start installed on my AC unit.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:58 AM   #45
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I think mine (not converted to propane) may have this spark plug issue. Symptoms described are identical to what I'm seeing.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:15 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
I think mine (not converted to propane) may have this spark plug issue. Symptoms described are identical to what I'm seeing.

Easy to check. Doesn't matter if on gas or propane.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:36 AM   #47

Halifax , Nova Scotia
Anyone have product numbers of the generator and conversion kit? Im looking on the Canadian honda site here and it says nothing about propane.
maxpower29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:06 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower29 View Post
Anyone have product numbers of the generator and conversion kit? Im looking on the Canadian honda site here and it says nothing about propane.

Not sure about product numbers but this thread is about theHonda eu2000i generator. The conversion kit I used came from Genconnex here:
http://www.genconnexdirect.net/honda...opane_kits.htm
Think there is only one for the 2000.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:12 AM   #49

Halifax , Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Not sure about product numbers but this thread is about theHonda eu2000i generator. The conversion kit I used came from Genconnex here:
http://www.genconnexdirect.net/honda...opane_kits.htm
Think there is only one for the 2000.
Thanks. Great site also. I am new to camping and not overly familiar to airstreams other that a boss at my work has an old one he asks me every day to come do some sheet metal work on the inside lol (im a certified sheet metal worker and hes a pipefitter)
maxpower29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:07 AM   #50
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Ran my genconnex propane converted eu2000 for the first time last weekend. I found it took many more pulls to start than when it was gas. 2 pulls with gas, 10 give or take with propane. I did purge the line for 4-5 seconds first by pulling up on the purge valve. Ran great once started, love the cleanness of the install and the ease of propane.

As a side note I was at 8000 feet and had installed the high altitude Venturi that was provided.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:00 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Haven't cranked mine up in and while,I need to do that but as I recall it took a few pulls to get it going initially.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:08 PM   #52
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I find that if I "burp" it a little longer, the generator starts with fewer pulls. Did not get the high-altitude Venturi. Is that something you can easily insert / remove for those times when you're camped above 8K feet?

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 03:10 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Ran my genconnex propane converted eu2000 for the first time last weekend. I found it took many more pulls to start than when it was gas. 2 pulls with gas, 10 give or take with propane. I did purge the line for 4-5 seconds first by pulling up on the purge valve. Ran great once started, love the cleanness of the install and the ease of propane.

As a side note I was at 8000 feet and had installed the high altitude Venturi that was provided.

Wondering if elevation is the issue? I need LESS pulls to start with LP vs gas...

Very glad I did the conversion...
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:01 PM   #54
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
I find that if I "burp" it a little longer, the generator starts with fewer pulls. Did not get the high-altitude Venturi. Is that something you can easily insert / remove for those times when you're camped above 8K feet?

Same. I need to wait until I actually hear gas flowing through. Then it starts right up.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:09 PM   #55
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Yes...very easy. Just open the access panel, pull the fuel supply hose down and off the fitting, the orifice is on the end of the fitting. Unscrew with a supplied Allen wrench, replace with other orifice, and pop the hose back on. Two minutes.

They actually have two they will send, one for 5,000-8,000 feet, and one for 8,000-11,000 feet. I keep them in my parts kit in a baggie.

As for performance impact, here are the comments from Genconnex when I ordered mine (I had questioned them on altitude performance, because I live at 6,000 feet but do camp at 8,000+ as well as all the way down to sea level.) At higher elevations it can impact your AC if you are using an Easy Start, but also just less performance when charging your batteries.

I have also included a note to send you the free orifice kit for high altitude. It should be changed out if you’re above 5-6k or you may not get enough power output from the generator to run you’re a/c. Generator power (all versions) is reduced by about 2% per 1000ft above sea level but is even worse if you don’t change to the correct fuel orifice. Effectively, that number can double because it’s not only thinner air but not properly balanced with the fuel. Your 2000Watt peak power could be as low as 1300-1400Watts at 7-8k.

As for starting the generator, I burped it till I could smell propane, but will try a bit longer. It also might simply be because I was at 8,000+ feet, even with the other orifice installed. No big deal, it started and ran great, and I love the propane conversion for sure.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:51 PM   #56

Elsinore , 84724
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post

Hey pcskier, give this a shot. Check your serial # with those in the video. Your genny should start on the 2nd or 3rd pull, max.

https://youtu.be/FkdOYlICfGA

Thanks!!

- Hutch Mountain Propane Conversion
HutchMtn is offline   Reply With Quote