Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2017, 03:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
2019 27' Globetrotter
2017 25' International
Chicago , Illinois
Honda EU2000i and Companion Questions

So, I recently purchased the lovely Honda EU 2000i and Companion. They say that the generators can do 3.6hrs under Max load. Is that your experience?

Also, What all do you keep on or off when you are running your AC?

Last question - How much fuel do you generally bring?
WBCCI #31337
StreamingEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:39 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Strongly suggest you convert the carbs to propane. Much safer and simpler.
Both together run our everything the 30a system in our 25FB. Just don't run the microwave while running the AC.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:48 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
2019 27' Globetrotter
2017 25' International
Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSH View Post
Strongly suggest you convert the carbs to propane. Much safer and simpler.
Both together run our everything the 30a system in our 25FB. Just don't run the microwave while running the AC.
How much does that drain your LP?
WBCCI #31337
StreamingEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If I had that setup, I'd seriously consider the remote tank.
It holds 6 gallons, and "Y's" to feed into both gas caps.
Because the Honda 2000 has a fuel pump, it can pump from an external tank. I understand the Honda has to have some gas in it.
Doesn't work with the EU3000 which is gravity fed.
http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/...FUVXDQoddIYNKw
Back when I used outboard tanks on a boat, they never sealed as well as I liked. So it will smell and possibly drip at the connections.
I liked the old fashioned 6 gal metal gas tanks, but they disappeared with the Passenger Pigeons, I guess.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
We use two Honda 2000i in parallel. We also have a 6 gallon external tank which feeds both generators. They will run for 10 hours plus. Lots of time we run just one generator to charge the batteries and it will go forever.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:34 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
I may be an outlier, but I usually bring only one generator with me to top off batteries. With their one gallon internal tanks, I usually bring only another one gallon of non-ethanol gas with me. That combination lasts me more than a week. I bring both generating units along when I need AC, along with a 2 gallon tote. Don't like to schlepp 5-6 gallons of gas around with me. But you'll get a much better feeling re your pattern of use/gas demands once you start using your camper more. Safe travels. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
When we take both generators with us we take a 5 gal gas container and a 2.5 gal container... I fill the gennies from the 2.5 then fill it again when empty...because it's just easier to manage when pouring.

I don't mind taking extra gas with us if there's room in the bed of the truck...we like having a little extra gas not only for the gennies but also if we should we need to add to the truck's tank while traveling in the middle of nowhere. On the final leg of a trip to go home, we put whatever gas is remaining into the truck...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:04 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamingEagle View Post
How much does that drain your LP?

If you plan to run your A/C constantly then I can't answer but if you are doing normal use for fridge, occasional microwave, heat COOL for a couple of hours, lighting and so forth then about 2percent a day from the 40 gal tank at low pressure. The Honda sips fuel and even for AC, once you get the mass inside cool (.not cold), it's more a function of maintaining temps. So you try to be clever on airflow with fans during cool night temps, not cooking inside during AC times of day and running the AC at 80 set during the day to avoid working too hard to cool down.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:07 PM   #9
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
You could have gone slightly cheaper by getting a single 2000 and installing the Micro-Air 364 on your AC. That device allows you to use a single generator to run your AC (or Microwave, not both simultaneously). More here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f206...er-161955.html

I purchased the Honda pair almost eight years ago. You'll soon discover coupling the second unit is not needed to run anything except the air conditioning and, depending on when/where you stay typically, that use will generally be just a few times a year.

In my experience, boondocking and some parks are where your two generators will get used. A preponderance of parks have rules regarding when generators can be used. Many, if not most, are limited to a few hours in the morning and again late in the day. The built-in tanks are sufficient to cover those periods.

I travel with a single generator ten months a year. I do have the separate 6 gallon tank with twin feeds which has only been necessary out West and prairie states on off-grid, summer trips. It is rare to find a place in the East that is without power except rest stops or parking lots. Surprisingly, I have had very limited use for the tank in over 45,000 miles of continental travel. However, when its needed, a pair with an external tank is a godsend per the spouse.

Be sure to get a dogbone or coupler so you can connect your trailer umbilical to the companion so you can swap use between the pair individually. By swapping you can spread the hours of use more evenly between the pair for care and maintenance reasons. I predict that will be your typical pattern of use.

FYI, you will also discover the Hondas' do an excellent job of matching power output to draw and running at max power for the duration of the built-in tank will not occur.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 03:13 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
I just added Micro Air to ours and have one honda propane generator, very surprised on how little propane we use during trip.

I can run it as long as I needed it.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 03:44 PM   #11
2017 FC 28 Twin

Plymouth , Indiana
I carry a Honda 3000 because it was what I had, since new I converted to LP so much easier and cleaner to carry fuel in fact I only carry a 20lb in the TK bed w/ the gen if I need additional I just hook to one of my 30's on the AS plug it into the gen same setup as I used before. Regarding usage I've ran my 3000 for 12 -13 hours on a 20 in eco air running during day just to maintain temp humidity nice thing is cleaner burn more efficient, oil never gets dirty,I use synthetic change every 2 yrs just because just as clean as the new, also LP is never an issue to obtain with swap stations every where if needed , down side some say there is a loss of Output when on LP which I've tested and never have seen another when running on LP and you decide to switch back to Dino fuel not a good thing engine life just doesn't seem to last however if you stay on LP engine life is extended this of course is based on studies in the LP / Dino fuel industries and has been experienced in our own LP company
Old 07-01-2017, 05:57 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
I bought 2x Honda EU2000s while haven't used them on a road trip yet, they tested out fine powering the AS... While I think the L.P. conversion is a good one, it does limit you in using the generator for other than AS powering due to having to drag a seperate tank along. In my experience, the biggest
danger to a generator is not using them, because sometimes they won't start when you need it to... : ( I try to exercise them regularly around the property as they are
easily handled... I built a rack on the access
door over a storage area (?) between the L.P.
tanks and the front of my Excella and carry
one (covered) all the time, the other goes in
the back TV on longer trips... Looking at changing the A/C's start up capacitor so I could use only one EU2000 to run it as others have reported doing... Good luck and safe travels... : )
MAJORJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
In response to the question on propane consumption: I have a pair of Honda EU2000s (one standard and one companion). I've run propane consumption tests and find that at full throttle, the propane consumption is about 2.0 pounds per generator per hour. So, that's a maximum. As others note, it's rare (even for us Floridians and other varieties of southerners) to need both running at full throttle. Generally I run one for battery charging on Eco mode. I have not measured that burn rate but I'd guess a little over a pound per hour. Since adding a 200 watt Renogy suitcase, we use the generators even less. On a recent 7 week trip to the Rockies and back I didn't use either generator even once.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:02 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
I love my Honda 2000's

I carry 2 2.5 gal tanks and one 1.5. With both generators running you can pretty well run everything in you trailer. My generators were older and I had a gauge on one that told be how much electricity things were using so I could go look, but with 2 I never had a problem.

Two things that I found important. Pull the starting cord out slowly until you feel the "pull" then pull fast to start. Just grabbing an pulling can "mess things up". Do not over fill with oil. Fill just until it starts to run out when on a level service.

Good luck, they are jewels.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:35 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Yes the Honda eu2000is is a fantastic device. The fuel tank is 0.95 gal. It's rated at 8.1 hours at 1/4 load and 3.4 hrs at full load.

However, I have the EU3000, just because I knew them, and didn't want to worry about shutting down if I turned on the AC and electric toothbrush together.
I worry about carrying gas, so I purchased the metal 2.5 gal from Justrite. If I like it I'll get another, otherwise Eagle cans. I have a station that sells Ethanol Free near me (Wa-Wa) and I'll stick to that.
I'm thinking that one does not need to carry full gas cans all the way because it's still America, not Antarctica. I'll bet there's gas within 50 miles of your campsite.
More and more stations sell ethanol free gas as people learn what a boondoggle ethanol is. (especially for ATV's, boats, chain saws, generators...hmmm sounds like the forest and lakes.)
Here's a source of Ethanol free stations:
https://www.pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html

Maybe someday I'll take the propane plunge, and then sell my Honda on Craig's list (fast, I'll bet) and get the Champion.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:48 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
Power Cord Question

During certain parts of the year I am able to not use the AC in my 50 amp rig so I connect my single Honda 2000 up for power. I have 2 power cord options for the hookup.

I can use my 50 amp cable with the appropriate connectors to plug into the 30 amp generator plug.

I can use my 50 amp to 15 amp dog bone on the trailer side and run a regular extension cord and plug into the 2 prong generator outlet.

Is one preferable to the other? Using the dog bone in option 2 is certainly much easier. If that option is used, is the extension cord gauge important?

In this mode we are not using AC, WH or microwave.

Thanks
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:28 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
You can do either one, as long as you do it right. If you want to use the 15A outlet, you need an extension cord rated for 15A. That would be #14 wire or larger. As you suggested, you will not be able to use AC or electric option on water heater. You might be able to use microwave, depending on wattage.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:02 PM   #18
ETA
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Glenville , New York
Generator affecting inverter outlets

Hello,

I am new airstreamer with a 2018 FC23CBB. I took it on its maiden trip yesterday, a quick overnighter. I was using a Honda EU2000 and EU2200 Companion (verified to work together) in parallel and operating in ECO mode. I had the external 6 gallon gas tank with marine quick disconnects and that set up worked great.

The problem i experienced was when the AC turned on it reset the inverter outlets on the TV and in back bed area at least. The AC would turn on in an "idle" mode and then a second or two later would go to full power and "trip" those outlets.

Does anyone have experience with this? I am thinking it may be due to the fact i was running in ECO mode on the generators. I plan on testing this.

Thank you.
Ed
ETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETA View Post
Hello,

I am new airstreamer with a 2018 FC23CBB. I took it on its maiden trip yesterday, a quick overnighter. I was using a Honda EU2000 and EU2200 Companion (verified to work together) in parallel and operating in ECO mode. I had the external 6 gallon gas tank with marine quick disconnects and that set up worked great.

The problem i experienced was when the AC turned on it reset the inverter outlets on the TV and in back bed area at least. The AC would turn on in an "idle" mode and then a second or two later would go to full power and "trip" those outlets.

Does anyone have experience with this? I am thinking it may be due to the fact i was running in ECO mode on the generators. I plan on testing this.

Thank you.
Ed
You let the clutch out at idle.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:23 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
As an experiment, try running with just the generator into which the trailer is plugged on normal mode (not ECO) then try both. That would tell you if it is a problem related to the delay in reaching full power output.

I think there was a design change in the inverter system between my trailer (2014 model year) and yours, so this may not apply to you, however... in my trailer the inverter should not be in use when on shore power or generators. It makes 120v power from the 12v system when there is no external power source. With the generators running the TV (I assume you were referring to television and not tow vehicle!) should be powered directly through the 120 volt system. On our 2014 I would turn off the inverter and move the plugs for any devices I was powering with it from the inverter-driven outlets to the direct 120v shore power connected outlets. I also use a power monitor with my generators just as with strange campground power to make sure I protect devices in the trailer in the event I overtax the generators and cause a voltage drop.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote