Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-14-2024, 03:43 PM   #1
Vermont Airstream "Maple"
 
Greggnvt's Avatar
 
2024 27' Flying Cloud
Franklin , Vermont
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 26
Honda EU2000 - GE Profile AC's

Wanted to see if the EU2000 (Gas, not propane) would run the AC's (15,000 btu and 13,000 btu) (I think!). Hooked everything up, turned on the 13,000 AC - AC ran nice and cool. Turned off the 13,000 btu AC and went to the 15,000 btu AC, same thing, AC ran nice and cool. Ran it for about 10 minutes. Will say the Honda was running at max RPM. I do not have soft starts on the AC units. Was thinking about a propane conversion but I've read that there is a slight decrease from the generator. Just wanted to share these results.

Gregg
Greggnvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 04:32 PM   #2
diesel maniac
 
ITSNO60's Avatar
 
Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggnvt View Post
Wanted to see if the EU2000 (Gas, not propane) would run the AC's (15,000 btu and 13,000 btu) (I think!). Hooked everything up, turned on the 13,000 AC - AC ran nice and cool. Turned off the 13,000 btu AC and went to the 15,000 btu AC, same thing, AC ran nice and cool. Ran it for about 10 minutes. Will say the Honda was running at max RPM. I do not have soft starts on the AC units. Was thinking about a propane conversion but I've read that there is a slight decrease from the generator. Just wanted to share these results.

Gregg
Did the generator struggle for a second or two when starting the units? What elevation did you test at? And yes, propane will reduce your generator's output as there are less BTUs in propane compared to gasoline.

I also have a 2000 but it struggles to start my 13.5K unit where I live at 2,200 feet. I tried a Spartan soft start early this week and wasn't real pleased with it so I returned it and ordered a Micro Air Easy Start which arrived today. It's installed and I'm doing the learning procedure now and will soon know how it works.
__________________
Brian
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 05:21 PM   #3
Vermont Airstream "Maple"
 
Greggnvt's Avatar
 
2024 27' Flying Cloud
Franklin , Vermont
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 26
My elevation (I didn't know until just now!) is approx. 770'. I first started the 13,000 (13.5K?) on eco mode. It had already ramped up some because of the fan. After I shut the 13,000 unit off, I turned off the eco mode and started the 15K unit - it was hard to hear because the fan was running first but I'm sure it took a "hit".

I have another Airstream (I really don't want two Airstreams...) a 2022 Caravel with a 13.5K Dometic AC unit w/Micro Air Easy Start - and used this generator on the Caravel/limited AC use.

Hope the Micro Air works better for you. I thought it was interesting that the GE Profile units did not have a soft start and started/ran on the EU2000.
Greggnvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 05:38 PM   #4
diesel maniac
 
ITSNO60's Avatar
 
Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggnvt View Post
My elevation (I didn't know until just now!) is approx. 770'. I first started the 13,000 (13.5K?) on eco mode. It had already ramped up some because of the fan. After I shut the 13,000 unit off, I turned off the eco mode and started the 15K unit - it was hard to hear because the fan was running first but I'm sure it took a "hit".

I have another Airstream (I really don't want two Airstreams...) a 2022 Caravel with a 13.5K Dometic AC unit w/Micro Air Easy Start - and used this generator on the Caravel/limited AC use.

Hope the Micro Air works better for you. I thought it was interesting that the GE Profile units did not have a soft start and started/ran on the EU2000.
Just finished with my Micro Air and I was pleasantly surprised that it easily starts my unit on ECO mode. The Micro Air also delays the compressor about 5 seconds which gives the fan time to ramp up. I am very pleased with it.
__________________
Brian
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 03:22 AM   #5
Vermont Airstream "Maple"
 
Greggnvt's Avatar
 
2024 27' Flying Cloud
Franklin , Vermont
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 26
Nice! Glad to hear that the Micro Air worked for you.
Greggnvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 11:38 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member
 
2020 23' Flying Cloud
Portal , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 30
Wondering if your unit is the Micro-Air Easystart 364-X36 with Bluetooth?
ant guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 12:43 PM   #7
diesel maniac
 
ITSNO60's Avatar
 
Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant guy View Post
Wondering if your unit is the Micro-Air Easystart 364-X36 with Bluetooth?
Yes, that's the one. If you buy from Hutch Mountain it's $10 less than Micro Air plus he gives you the install kit free. I ordered on Wed and received on Fri. Shipping was USPS under $7
__________________
Brian
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 01:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
jeffmc306's Avatar
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 2,321
Blog Entries: 4
I ordered the original 364-X20 from Amazon, sold by Hutch Mountain with the install kit for $289 and next day delivery. It came yesterday.

In the box was a piece of paper that read you paid too much - scan this code to get $20 back. Maybe this is their way around selling for under MSRP?

Works for me, filled out the online form and submitted it. By the way, their YouTube install video really helped. Easy peasy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0344.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	444369   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2715.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	444370  

__________________
2019 27’ Globetrotter FBT Walnut/Dublin Slate
2018 FC23FB
2019 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi Laramie Blue Ox 1000#
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 02:46 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
 
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Woodway , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 165
Honda 2000eu for AC

We'd been using ours a couple of times each year when we boondock at the picturesque WalMart parking lot in El Dorado, KS on the way to Iowa. Never had a problem starting either unit but kept to the 13,500 one for the wattage margin.

Gong to be leaving again next week and excited since we've installed Micro Air units on each; there IS a noticeable difference in the 'lag' experienced without one! Big plus is that the relay in the Progressive EMS doesn't 'chatter' when the compressor kicks in while operating on a 2000W generator!
emelaich01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 05:19 PM   #10
diesel maniac
 
ITSNO60's Avatar
 
Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
I ordered the original 364-X20 from Amazon, sold by Hutch Mountain with the install kit for $289 and next day delivery. It came yesterday.

In the box was a piece of paper that read you paid too much - scan this code to get $20 back. Maybe this is their way around selling for under MSRP?

Works for me, filled out the online form and submitted it. By the way, their YouTube install video really helped. Easy peasy.
No, the non BT model was $299 on Wed on their website but Thursday or Friday it went down to $279 so I suspect they decided to lower the price as the BT model was probably out selling it and they would not want to piss anyone off who had ordered one at the old price. I considered the non BT model but I'm pretty much a nerd so decided to spend the extra $25 which is now an extra $45 if you factor in the reduced price of the non BT
__________________
Brian
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 09:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
jeffmc306's Avatar
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 2,321
Blog Entries: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
No, the non BT model was $299 on Wed on their website but Thursday or Friday it went down to $279 so I suspect they decided to lower the price as the BT model was probably out selling it and they would not want to piss anyone off who had ordered one at the old price. I considered the non BT model but I'm pretty much a nerd so decided to spend the extra $25 which is now an extra $45 if you factor in the reduced price of the non BT
Brian, I considered the BT model but since I already had one without installed in the 15K unit, decided to save the coin. I needed it “next day” so Amazon sold by Hutch Mountain was the quickest way. The $20 back was a bonus.
__________________
2019 27’ Globetrotter FBT Walnut/Dublin Slate
2018 FC23FB
2019 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi Laramie Blue Ox 1000#
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 10:32 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member
 
1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 243
OK. try the test again and see how long it runs. I've tested a couple 2ks and they died after 20 minutes. Propane? Fughedaboudit
If u wanna run the 13, get a 3k running watts like Champion 4500 Remote start. The HF 3500 did OK but get the extended warranty.
If ya wanna run both then you'll need a far heavier gen or the same weight in batts. Either way, that's a lotta juice
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 10:42 AM   #13
diesel maniac
 
ITSNO60's Avatar
 
Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthForkAS View Post
OK. try the test again and see how long it runs. I've tested a couple 2ks and they died after 20 minutes. Propane? Fughedaboudit
If u wanna run the 13, get a 3k running watts like Champion 4500 Remote start. The HF 3500 did OK but get the extended warranty.
If ya wanna run both then you'll need a far heavier gen or the same weight in batts. Either way, that's a lotta juice
A few questions:

Which 2000's did you try, did you try a Honda?

Do you have a Soft/Easy Start on the 13.5K unit?

Was your testing done where you live at 7,200 feet?
__________________
Brian
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 11:26 AM   #14
RVM
1 Rivet Member
 
2002 34' Classic S/O
Livingston , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2023
Posts: 7
Well we had Micro Air installed on our 13.5 AC and the 2k Honda generator is able to run it for about 10 min. We called the company and we’re told that it was likely due to elevation which kind of made sense. Till we tested it at the ocean level in OR and had the same result. Very disappointed.
RVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 11:56 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
 
JandB's Avatar
 
2024 27' International
Noblesville , Indiana
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 66
I'm not sure but I think the 2024 GE units already have a "soft start" built in. If the whole thing with a soft start is to separate the blower and the compressor and have them come on with a delay, one from the other, I think ours does that.

I've noticed they (either front or rear unit) always start the blower and then I hear the compressor kick in. It actually could be the other way around as I've never really cared that much. And in shut down, the compressor shuts off and then a few seconds (30ish? - I've never timed it) the blower shuts off.

I also never get the big thump I read that some get with the other units.

I was hoping I'd find the answer for sure before we buy a generator but we've not done any off grid camping yet, so there hasn't been a rush.
__________________
Jeff & Barb
JandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 12:02 PM   #16
diesel maniac
 
ITSNO60's Avatar
 
Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by JandB View Post
If the whole thing with a soft start is to separate the blower and the compressor and have them come on with a delay, one from the other, I think ours does that.
It's not the whole thing, it's just a part of it. The soft start also reduces the amount of current needed to start the compressor.
__________________
Brian
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 12:11 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
 
JandB's Avatar
 
2024 27' International
Noblesville , Indiana
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 66
OK, thanks.
__________________
Jeff & Barb
JandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 02:19 PM   #18
diesel maniac
 
ITSNO60's Avatar
 
Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,655
Update on honda 2000

Well after reading SouthFork's and RVM's replies I decided to do a test. While the Honda 2000 does start my 13.5 unit on ECO mode with no problems, it does shut down after about 10 minutes due to the generator being slightly over it's continuous rating. The Honda cuts power for a few seconds then resumes. By this time the AC has shut down and as soon as the Honda resumes power the AC fan starts and due to the 3 minute short cycle delay the compressor re-starts 3 min later, but the second time it only ran for 3 min before overloading the Honda again.

This was at 84F ambient and 2,200 feet elevation. Not sure if the Honda would do it at sea level but I have my doubts. The 2200 model should do it though. I would be reluctant to go to a bigger generator because the Honda is so quiet and lightweight, unless I wanted to go propane in which case I would consider the Champion 3100 but it weighs almost 100 lbs.
__________________
Brian
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 03:07 PM   #19
RVM
1 Rivet Member
 
2002 34' Classic S/O
Livingston , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2023
Posts: 7
Unfortunately, It did not do it for us at sea level. So the only good thing after getting the Micro Air is that while on shore power our AC starts more soft… but that’s not why we bought the Micro Air.
RVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 05:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 779
We have two ACs with MicroAir soft starts.
And we use two propane powered Honda 2000s in parallel.
This setup is right on the edge of performance.
The generators are going full steam.
If we go above 3000 to 4000 feet we can only run one AC.

Our favorite at higher altitudes: open all the glorious windows everywhere in the Airstream.
__________________
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pictures of my fuel can and EU2000 Honda Raptorrider2001 Generators & Solar Power 34 05-23-2012 02:05 PM
Honda EU2000 x 2 vs Honda EU3000 and Yamaha 3000 IntegrityAir Generators & Solar Power 43 07-01-2009 11:19 AM
LPG for Honda EU2000 moosetags Generators & Solar Power 35 10-19-2008 01:14 PM
Looking for a Honda EU2000 lundfog Generators & Solar Power 3 12-02-2005 06:10 PM
11,000 BTU AC and Honda EU2000 RangerJay Airstream Trailer Forums 34 10-03-2005 07:35 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.