Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2020, 06:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Honda 2200i with propane

I am considering buying a 2200i for our new trailer. I have a 25’ Int. with one AC.
I plan to install the soft start on the AC unit for the generator. What I am debating is whether or not to get the propane conversion.
Will this allow the generator to be used with the low pressure LP port on the front of the trailer? That seems like a huge convenience although you are sucking propane from your onboard tanks. We have the on demand water heater so adequate propane will always be a concern. We could always carry the smaller bottles in the truck but that’s just more weight, etc.
also for those who have the propane conversion, did you install yourself or buy the generator already converted?
Thoughts?
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
A lot of threads on this subject if you search, I bought mine from GenConnEx, already converted. Nice clean install. Yes you can use the connection on the front of your trailer. One guy here reported that he could actually run two in parallel off that tap, with a bigger hose. I have a composite tank that I carry with me for boondocking if I think I am going to need to run two generators...not very often. As little as I actually use my generators, I would never put gas in them. Propane is the way to go.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:31 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I converted our 2000i in 2006 with a dual fuel kit from UScarb...SFSG.🤓

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7E63D457-4BAE-4F09-9A04-347EA27BCE51_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	369.3 KB
ID:	385525   Click image for larger version

Name:	653C866A-58A6-4B0B-98B8-60761CDA0688_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	385526  

Old 12-27-2020, 08:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcc75 View Post
Will this allow the generator to be used with the low pressure LP port on the front of the trailer?
I purchased Honda eu2200i and eu2200ic companion generators. I bought tr-fuel conversion kits from Hutch Mountain. It took less than an hour total to install the conversion kits in both generators. I purchased 2 MicroAir Easy Start devices (also from Hutch Mountain, who offers a free and better installation kit than MicroAir does). Hutch Mountain also sold me all the tubing and fittings required to hook everything up.

On several occasions, while boondocking in the heat of summer in South Texas, I have been able to run both AC units all night long (as well as other electrical devices in the coach) while plugged into the propane port on the front of the trailer.

The answer to your inquiry is "yes".
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:29 AM   #5

Star , Idaho
You may want to consider a dual fuel generator. Firman makes a nice duel fuel 3300 watt, 58d, weight 98 lb, less than $1000. Allows you to switch fuels while running.
Bairdj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:57 AM   #6
Pbfec

2019 25' Flying Cloud
jupiter , Florida
Propane conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcc75 View Post
I am considering buying a 2200i for our new trailer. I have a 25’ Int. with one AC.
I plan to install the soft start on the AC unit for the generator. What I am debating is whether or not to get the propane conversion.
Will this allow the generator to be used with the low pressure LP port on the front of the trailer? That seems like a huge convenience although you are sucking propane from your onboard tanks. We have the on demand water heater so adequate propane will always be a concern. We could always carry the smaller bottles in the truck but that’s just more weight, etc.
also for those who have the propane conversion, did you install yourself or buy the generator already converted?
Thoughts?
Definitely convert to propane and will no longer have to haul gas. Buy the kits from Hutch Mountain.
https://www.hutchmountain.com/
pbfec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:08 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Los Altos , California
honda Lp

we have the Honda 2200i with propane conversion. had Genconnex do it. We use the LP quick release port and a double hose so generator is set back from camper.. just to charge batteries.. works great but will suck down about half a bottle of LP running gen. for 4 hours over a weekend..

also have the easy start installed on our AC. was not able to keep compressor running more than 5 minutes in October in california dessert before it shut off. that was disappointing..In colder weather, running AC off gen works fine, but why run AC in colder weather?
jsmall01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:14 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
lake Wales , Florida
I have exactly your set up. I run my AC off of the generator with soft start. I have a Rubber Made container it fits in perfectly along with a bike cable lock. This way I can carry in the back of my suv. As far as propane consumption, with my 2 Stock 30lb tanks, not sure how long it will last, but my guess is a month. Very stingy of fuel. When I am boon docking, I run the generator for about 2 hours and charge my batteries for all night power.
Flathead1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 11:06 AM   #9

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
North Las Vegas , Nevada
I purchased the Champion 3400, and it is dual fuel set up from the start. I have never used gas in mine only propane, I prefer propane over gas.

The unit was cheaper than getting two Hondas 2000, which is what i would have needed to run the A/C. I am very pleased with the performance and noise level of the Champion.

Dave Gilbert
Foiled / 20' Flying Cloud (2019)
DFGILBERTSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 11:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
FWIW, I have run two Honda 2000s on propane from my LP port with stove, water heater and fridge also running full blast on propane (I did a test to see what happens... it works).

This significantly exceeds the rated 25,000 BTU of the low pressure port and is therefore not supported by Airstream!

Why does this work, and why would I (a risk-averse, conservative guy by nature) do this?

Well... propane system performance is affected by ambient temperature... the warmer the air, the faster the propane in the tanks can convert from liquid to vapor. The only time I might need both generators is to run AC. In other words, when it’s seriously hot and the propane system is at its max performance.

I have not explored the other end of the curve (e.g.: below 32 degrees ambient). I would expect problems... perhaps serious problems... at some point as the draw from devices exceeded to ability of the propane system to meet the load.

So, on a hot day, I will run two Honda 2000s. I don’t run the water heater or stove concurrently. I feel comfortable with that.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 11:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
A lot of threads on this subject if you search, I bought mine from GenConnEx, already converted. Nice clean install. Yes you can use the connection on the front of your trailer. One guy here reported that he could actually run two in parallel off that tap, with a bigger hose. I have a composite tank that I carry with me for boondocking if I think I am going to need to run two generators...not very often. As little as I actually use my generators, I would never put gas in them. Propane is the way to go.
Larry
We also bought ours from GenConnex. Use the port at the front. Appreciate not having to carry gasoline around. Don't have to worry about gas in the generator going bad when the generator is not used for a long time and some gas sits in the tank. Much cleaner operation. Less stinky exhaust. Agree with Larry, propane is the way to go.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:18 PM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I bought a tri-fuel Yamaha 2000is from US Carbonation a few years back. My purpose was for back up power at home and on the road for my wife's dialysis equipment. Although it did have enough capacity to keep my Classic powered with the fridge and water heater running on propane. However it would not run my air conditioning. My vintage trailer does not have the low pressure outlet. My plan if needed was to run it off one of the 30 gal tanks on the trailer if necessary. I also bought 2 20 lb tanks to carry if I wanted extra capacity.

I've attached a picture of it running on gasoline as I was breaking it in.

As it ended up I never had to use it at a campground but I did have to use it at home twice for power failures in the middle of the night (when her dialysis equipment was running). I did have to break the unit in under load with one tank of gasoline, but after that point I never have had gasoline in it since. Propane is much cleaner burning and of course doesn't degrade like gasoline does.

I noted that it is tri-fueled and I can also run it on natural gas. I have a gas outlet on my deck that I use for the BBQ grill. I have a hose that snaps into the connection point of the grill and connects to the generator. I would use that if I had a long term outage to provide occasional power to the refrigerator and other appliances as necessary.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0207 (1).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	472.5 KB
ID:	385553  
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:32 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bairdj3 View Post
You may want to consider a dual fuel generator. Firman makes a nice duel fuel 3300 watt, 58d, weight 98 lb, less than $1000. Allows you to switch fuels while running.
MacGyver can do that...shut the petrol valve and un-pinch the LP supply line when it starts to stumble.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B60F4209-6BA7-4F56-9217-C7E47646DA39.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	385554   Click image for larger version

Name:	18E629EA-D6D3-4DF3-9063-61B8956EB21C_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	385555  

Old 12-28-2020, 08:46 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Glade Park , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
FWIW, I have run two Honda 2000s on propane from my LP port with stove, water heater and fridge also running full blast on propane (I did a test to see what happens... it works).

This significantly exceeds the rated 25,000 BTU of the low pressure port and is therefore not supported by Airstream!

Why does this work, and why would I (a risk-averse, conservative guy by nature) do this?

Well... propane system performance is affected by ambient temperature... the warmer the air, the faster the propane in the tanks can convert from liquid to vapor. The only time I might need both generators is to run AC. In other words, when it’s seriously hot and the propane system is at its max performance.

I have not explored the other end of the curve (e.g.: below 32 degrees ambient). I would expect problems... perhaps serious problems... at some point as the draw from devices exceeded to ability of the propane system to meet the load.

So, on a hot day, I will run two Honda 2000s. I don’t run the water heater or stove concurrently. I feel comfortable with that.
Your hypothesis on cold weather with propane is spot-on (in our experience)! We have the Hutch Mountain conversion kit and it has worked well feeding our Honda eu3000is - until the temps dipped below freezing. Unfortunately, have to use gasoline in freezing temps - which is most of the time currently in Colorado.
Red SandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 04:51 PM   #15
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmall01 View Post
we have the Honda 2200i with propane conversion. had Genconnex do it. We use the LP quick release port and a double hose so generator is set back from camper.. just to charge batteries.. works great but will suck down about half a bottle of LP running gen. for 4 hours over a weekend..

also have the easy start installed on our AC. was not able to keep compressor running more than 5 minutes in October in california dessert before it shut off. that was disappointing..In colder weather, running AC off gen works fine, but why run AC in colder weather?
So why did the compressor (assuming the A/C compressor) only run for 5 minutes before shutting down. Was the Honda 2200i not able to provide enough power?
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote