Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2020, 04:51 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Winder , Georgia
Honda 2200i - one or two?

Ok question for you generator gurus:
Iím not an active boondocker but I am look into getting into one (or 2) of the Honda 2200ís. Primarily for overnight stops at places without shore power(wal mart, etc)I have a 6000w that I keep at home but itís way too heavy to lug around camping. So I know that for charging batteries one of the 2200ís will be sufficient. Iíve been told by some folks that if you install a soft start on the AC unit then one of the 2200ís will run the AC but not much of anything else. Just wanted some more opinions on this. I really donít want to have to buy 2 generators unless I have to, but at the same time I donít want to damage anything either.
Thanks
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Several things at play here.

1. What size is your air conditioner? Some have reported at high temperatures (over 100 degrees) a single 2200 with an EasyStart will start, but not run a 15KBTU unit. I have an older 2000 and it will run my 13.5KBTU unit on propane which has less energy than gasoline.
2. All soft starts are not created equal. In my opinion the best one is the EasyStart brand.
3. Some have reported on here that the newer trailer AC units already have a soft start device in the AC unit
4. Some have reported that they were told installing an EasyStart would void the Dometic warranty.
5. And finally, it is generally recommended to not run a generator when parked at a WalMart or other free parking spot. Search Loloho (Long Long Honeymoon) for their informative YouTube series. They have one on WalMArt parking. The consensus is that WalMart and other free parking spaces should not be used like a campsite. I'm sure it may be OK in some places (Cabela's comes to mind as one possible locaiton) but Google and read up on it.

There is a long and informative thread on here. "Search Walmart parking".
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
If you want to use a Honda eu2200i to run an air conditioner, then definitely you will need to install a MicroAir Easy Start. After installing them on my 2 AC units, I confirm that I can run either my 15k or a 13.5k unit on one generator or I can run both units on 2 Honda generators in parallel in the high humidity of a 100į August day in south Texas--with the generator(s) running on propane! MicroAir is so confident that their Easy Start product will not hurt your AC unit that they will warranty the entire unit if you install it.

As for 1 vs. 2, that depends on your needs. With 2 generators, you can run a single AC and still have lots of power for almost anything else. For example, I can run 1 AC plus my microwave on 2 generators in parallel. With a single generator, you could just temporarily turn off your AC and run your microwave or coffee pot or whatever and then turn AC back on.

Purchase 1 generator and use it to see if your situation is amenable to a single unit. If not, then purchase the 2nd one.
jaybauman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:15 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Winder , Georgia
Thanks. My AC is 15,000 btu. Single unit
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybauman View Post
Purchase 1 generator and use it to see if your situation is amenable to a single unit. If not, then purchase the 2nd one.
This.

Can also confirm that a Micro-Aired AC will run on a GenConnex Honda 2200 on propane. At decent altitude even. It plus solar is a great setupóno gas sloshing around in the truck, power when you need it, relatively quiet and quick connect hose fittings. Also, I run the grill, fire pit and the generator off the quick connect. Filled my propane tanks only twice all last summer (and was traveling all summer).

Anyway, Iíd go straight for a GenConnex unit unless you want a gas one for some reason.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:15 PM   #6

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
I prefer the Hutch Mountain conversion, easy install, quick connects and retains the ability to run propane or gas if needed, always nice to have a fallback.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:03 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Woodway , Texas
We 'boondocked' at the WalMart in ElDorado, KS with afternoon/evening temps in the 90's going to/from New Hampton, IA from Texas. Returning on 7/2 using a Honda 2000i, we were able to run our Dometic Penguin II 13,500 with no problems but like another poster said, not running much else. For 12 hours run time, we used about 3-1/2 gal. of ethanol-free gas.
If you go this route and use gasoline, suggest you make or buy an extended run tank. We made ours from a replacement Honda gas cap, quick disconnect fittings from WalMart and a 4-gal poly outboard motor fuel tank + 5' of 5/16 fuel line for about $85.
YouTube is loaded with videos on various construction details.
emelaich01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:18 AM   #8
Mike & Erin

2017 28' Flying Cloud
Bel Air , Maryland
We have a 28' Flying Cloud RT with a single AC unit. We are also equipped with the optional solar panels and corresponding batteries. We have 2 Honda 2000 generators we can run in parallel and produce the 30 amps needed to run our AC.

You started off by saying you wanted to run one generator to charge the batteries for a quick overnight (some call it mooch docking or patronize docking) in a Cracker Barrel, Wal-mart or whatever...

If you are trying to recharge your batteries, they should be fully charged from driving that day. You really don't need a generator unless you are going to run your AC(s) or use your microwave, convention oven, water heater or Television. Your propane furnace and refrigerator will be fine all night on batteries only.

When we boon dock, we run one generator to heat the water (good for about 6 hours), cook and watch Television then run on batteries all night for the propane furnace and refrigerator. In the morning, I fire up one generator to make coffee, heat water (again if required) run the toaster and watch the news on TV.

If we were overnighting as a necessity, we would not cook. We'd stay at a Cracker Barrel or Cabela's (always close to an Interstate exit) and eat at their restaurant. We'd run what lights we need that evening that are LED that draw very little power.

When we get up in the morning, we eat again at the restaurant and take off!

Some things to consider. In the event you have an electric "leak" (power drain) it is best to unplug your trailer from your tow vehicle. That way you can always start your TV in the morning. DO NOT unhitch your TV, some folks recommend not even deploying your stabilizers when you are mooch docking in the event you have to make a quick getaway.

We stay at a lot of events where we have to boon dock (dog shows), and we cannot run our generators past 10pm. We've not experienced a problem so far -knock wood! Always call ahead and talk to the manager and make sure it's OK to stay overnight.
SetterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
You are getting a lot of responses, but for my nickel this is very simple. For an overnight, you should never need more than 1 generator. It has been proven that one Honda 2200 on propane can run your 15k A/C. With the water heater and refrig on propane, you will be fine, although courtesy generally precludes running a generator in parking lot.
When you need the second generator is if you are going to boondock for a few days and you know you need to run the A/C while charging batteries. This is more complicated with the newest trailers that do not have propane refrigeration, but propane is still the heat source for the water heater.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:54 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
GAINESVILLE , GA
I have a 2000 and will pair it with a new 2200. 2200 with an EZ Start (sp) will do you for one A/C at a time. I have the 2000 for the fridge and anything else I need to run. Also have the propane and battery power options, in reserve.
Spaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2019 25' Flying Cloud
2021 30' Flying Cloud
Lady Lake , Florida
one or two

In our experience if the weather ( Spring - Fall ) determines no or minimal AC use I only carry one Honda. This is with a Micro Air installed on one AC unit. 30 amp service.

If it is extensive AC use I bring two hooked in Parallel.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:44 PM   #12
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Microair's EasyStart, Genny with US Carb's "Snorkel" propane conversion. no loss of power except when going to altitude. You just feed it a little more propane, but no power loss over gasoline same with natural gas. Yamaha's 6300 will run two A/C's. You can't really call it boondocking or clamping, it's just too plush living that way. Add compost toilet, lithiums, solar and inverter/charger and you are independent of the outside world.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 06:56 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belleville , Illinois
I have 2 Honda’s and find one is sufficient when paired with an easy start. I also converted to the Hutch Mountain propane kit. I can run 15 k ac and don’t need to lug around a gas can or the second generator. Have not tried running ac and microwave and hair dyer simultaneously.
Presitla99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:52 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Kewadin , Michigan
Notice a lot of folks using Hondas. I have one also but when I decided I needed a second for parallel connection I decide to get a Harbor freight Predator 2000 watt. It has same connections/features and is half the price of Honda. I have had no problems with the Predator. works just as good as Honda. That's my two cents.
Silver Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:27 AM   #15
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcc75 View Post
Ok question for you generator gurus:
Iím not an active boondocker but I am look into getting into one (or 2) of the Honda 2200ís. Primarily for overnight stops at places without shore power(wal mart, etc)I have a 6000w that I keep at home but itís way too heavy to lug around camping. So I know that for charging batteries one of the 2200ís will be sufficient. Iíve been told by some folks that if you install a soft start on the AC unit then one of the 2200ís will run the AC but not much of anything else. Just wanted some more opinions on this. I really donít want to have to buy 2 generators unless I have to, but at the same time I donít want to damage anything either.
Thanks
I have the Easy Start. On the 15k a 2200 will run my AC but nothing else. I also noticed that Elevation plays a big part to. I have found above 3000 feet and it starts to stall. I am now completing to buy another 2200.
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:46 PM   #16

2017 28' International
Kernersville , North Carolina
Just thought I would throw it out there.
We recently sold a 28 foot international serenity. I have two Honda 2200 generators. The standard one and companion ,the parallel cables ,12 V cables. and covers They both have our meters on them. We bought them in July and each one has a little bit over one hour
We sold the camper because he bought a condo in the mountains and Iíll be selling the generators if anyone is interested. Also have a Renogy 200 W suitcase solar panel.
Thanks
Bpless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:49 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Letís do a little genny recapÖ. Facts Iíve gathered so far:
1. EU2200i (single) will run a 13.5 micro air Dometic all night long. W/O easy start you need two. If you have 2 A/Cs you need 2 gennys (see #3).
2. Genconnex propane mod allows genny to revert to Gas whenever you sell it w no holes or other damage to case. If you donít ever want to revert all other mods are fine.
3. Two EU2200ís is just generally gravy. Solid 30amps wherever you are, altitude no problems. Full power all appliances fully functional no different than campground 30. Two also allows running both in constant eco-mode.
4. Trade off with owning two is weight and general PITA lugging them around.
5. The propane mod rocks. No gas can(s). Propane topped off after each use. Runs gennyís, propane grill, stove etc.
6. Older (pre-2020) EU2000 and EU2200s are fine and specíd out identical to older, just no Bluetooth controls. 1 new (BT) and 1 old (no-BT) parallel works fine. 2 new Hondaís with BT are amazing. Hour meters and remote monitoring, auto-shutoff etc. Honda wishlist: Autostart.
7. Microair installed at Tally Rally: New Microair Easystart with BT allows monitoring start/surge amps. Pretty cool same pricing as old Microair.
8. Swapped out Dometic hvac control with new MicroAir Digital HVAC control panel. Unscrew old one, unplug telephone type connection, plug in new oneÖvoila, BT control and remote WiFi HVAC control. iPhone interior temp monitoring and auto remote control of starting and stopping HVAC. Dog now happy.
9. Future projects in hopper: Have received AS Forum msg showing tongue mount Honda(s)Ö.researching weight distribution issues w same. Until then, lugging. Plan on swapping out 2 OEM AGMs with 2 Battleborn LifPoís leaving in place in original battery box (Zamp Solarís 30a charge controller allows optional selection of LifePo). Linking Microair Control to battery powered Pepwave LTE cellular router to have 24/7 battery powered remote monitoring of interior tempÖ.

Summation complete.
TV #1 2017 Mercedes AMG GL63
TV #2 2017 Lexus LX570
RMNummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:51 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Just saw my Honda EU2200 are being recalled by Honda for fire hazard when exposed to salt waterÖ.. lovely. My two new ones going back in to get fixed. May 2020 announcement.
TV #2 2017 Lexus LX570
Old 12-04-2021, 05:27 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpless View Post
Just thought I would throw it out there.

We recently sold a 28 foot international serenity. I have two Honda 2200 generators. The standard one and companion ,the parallel cables ,12 V cables. and covers They both have our meters on them. We bought them in July and each one has a little bit over one hour

We sold the camper because he bought a condo in the mountains and Iíll be selling the generators if anyone is interested. Also have a Renogy 200 W suitcase solar panel.

Thanks

Off topic: How did you like your renogy suitcase?
TV #2 2017 Lexus LX570
Old 12-05-2021, 08:23 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
I have 2-EU2000i generators, 1 standard, 1 Companion.
MOST of the time I only use one or the other. Rarely have I ever needed both.
For a brief stop during the day, or an overnight, one generator is fine. An extended stay with no hookups where you want A/C you’ll need two.
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote