Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2004, 09:51 AM   #1
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Genterator/Gas/Syphon...

Greetings.

I'm not sure if this has been asked before:

Has anyone syphoned gas from their tow vehicle to use for a small generator? I'm considering the 2 Honda 2000's and thought instead of schlepping a gas container of some sort, which would probably not be that safe, instead, somehow syphoning a few gallons out of my 15 gallon Eurovan gas tank every now and then.

Aside from the obvious: don't do this near open flame, or have a bad case of hic-cups, any other tips.

Or am I out of my mind? Never mind, don't answer that one.

What would be a safe procedure for doing this, if in fact I am in my mind?

Thanks from the looney bin.

Jonathan
Old 07-05-2004, 09:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
Greetings.

Has anyone siphoned gas from their tow vehicle to use for a small generator? I'm considering the 2 Honda 2000's and thought instead of schlepping a gas container of some sort, which would probably not be that safe, instead, somehow syphoning a few gallons out of my 15 gallon Eurovan gas tank every now and then.
Aside from the obvious: don't do this near open flame, or have a bad case of hic-cups, any other tips.
Jonathan

Jonathan

Can you say chemically induced pneumonia.
I would say don't ever start a syphon with your mouth.
Bite the bullet and buy the best certified gas can you can find and use it.
If you must syphon gas use a mechanical hand pump to start the flow.
Please have a long and Healthy Life.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Jonathan
Whats the differance, you have gas in the generator that your goin to schlep around, why not a gas can. As Gary said, "buy the best certified can you can find" it really would be safer and you woun't be hssled for stealing gas. At today's prices someone will call the cops because they will think they may be the next mark.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 12:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
If you want to get complicated and not siphon we used to use the fuel return line with a 3 way valve and piece of hose on some of the service trucks.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 06:03 PM   #5
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Chemically induced Pneumonia?!?!?!?! Although I had no intention of using my kisser to suck-start the gas through a hose.....

Yikes. I wonder if they make a beer operated generator. I won't even bore you with my turkey baster idea.

A decent gas can it is.....

Thanks for saving my life again.

Jonathan
Old 08-22-2004, 01:07 PM   #6
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Has anyone tried out one of these things?

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/supersiphon/

Still figuring out the how, when and where of generator stuff.

I think another option I read somewhere is to bring the generator to a gas station and fill it up there every other day or so, depending on usage, to avoid a gas can.

Jonathan
Old 08-22-2004, 01:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
I think another option I read somewhere is to bring the generator to a gas station and fill it up there every other day or so, depending on usage, to avoid a gas can.

Jonathan:

It's not a good idea to fill a generator in the vehicle - even in the back of a pickup if anything else is back there --

An eu2000 weighs 46 lbs - a 5 gal can of gas weighs less than that. That would make a no-brainer decision if a 5 gal can vs schlepping the gennies were your only two choices.

I personally like the 2 1/2 gallon plastic "tote tanks". MUCH easier to handle than a full 5 gal "can", less chance of a "spill", a whole lot easier on the shoulders when taking in and out of the TV.

The tank size of an eu 2000 is about a gallon, so you could get at least two full refills out of a 2 1/2 gallon "tote can".

As far as the "tote can", I have found that the ones with a self contained pull-out "nozzle" are much easier to use - don't have to look for a funnel each time you want to use it - and then there is the hassle of finding a "clean" funnel.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 02:46 PM   #8
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I will second Dennis, take anything that you are going to fuel OUT OF THE VEHICLE. The bulk of the folks that blew themselves up did it filling a gas can, etc while it was in the trunk or bed of their truck.

One container that would allow for safe contained storage and offer a way to move the fuel without pouring would be a boat gas tank. It has a quick disconnect, and a bulb that would allow for transfer of fuel. There is also the fact that you could retrofit the gas cap on the gen set to draw the fuel out of the boat tank.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 08:02 PM   #9
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Brett and Dennis.

You are the reason my long term care insurance has not been activated at this time.

Points well taken about filling gasoline in an enclose/semi-enclosed area such as ones vehicle. Though, had I have done this I would have first removed the generator from the vehicle. It seems that even thinking this would be common sense probably wouldn't be as safe as filling from a can as you mentioned, far from a major supply of highly flamable liquids.

Jonathan
Old 10-02-2004, 07:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Greetings.

Has anyone syphoned gas from their tow vehicle to use for a small generator?

Jonathan
No, but I've siphoned gas from my generator to my tow vehicle!!!! 5 miles out of Gilette, WY we ran out of gas. Yuck!! Not a pleasant experience . Now I know not to believe the computer on my Avalanche when it says I have X miles left until I run out of gas. It doesn't take into account hills, wind, Operator Stupidity, etc. BTW, I had an extra water hose with me that I was able to use transfer. I'm thankful I had my generator on hand with gas in it. It save me!! Now I don't recommend any of you try this unless you just want to experience the pungent aroma of gas in your mouth. Otherwise it saved me an 8 mile walk. I'm now thinking about subscribing to ONSTAR's service or getting a GPS to find the nearest gas station. Immediate Lesson Learned........Start looking for gas when tank reaches 1/4!!

Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 08:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
With my diesel I can go about 12.5x30= 375 miles. I have gone as far as 300 miles before fill-up but I start looking for fuel at 250-275. I don't want the pleasure of being towed to a cummins service center.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 05:33 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I use the Super Siphon. But for water only. It's great for passing water from my Jerry Cans into my holding tank while "Boondocking". I also carry a gas can for my generator.

http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photo...cat/500/page/1
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 07:09 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
Quote:
Greetings.

Has anyone syphoned gas from their tow vehicle to use for a small generator? I'm considering the 2 Honda 2000's and thought instead of schlepping a gas container of some sort, which would probably not be that safe, instead, somehow syphoning a few gallons out of my 15 gallon Eurovan gas tank every now and then.

Jonathan
Jonathan

During the hurricane festivities in Palm Bay, I had filled the tank on my Olds so that when we returned after the Frances and after Jeanne I could siphon the gas out and fill the gas can for the generator, which I keep at home. It is too heavy for the trailer or the Excursion to tote around.

When I tried to siphon the gas out, nothing happened. I find that most of the newer cars have "siphon-proof" tanks, in that there is a curve at the bottom of the filler pipe that prevents the use of the siphon. One of the suggestions was to hook into the fuel return line that goes back to the tank. That is probably the best and safest way of getting gas out of the tank.

With regards to the hurricanes; having the 31' Excella and being able to go where ever we wanted to escape the storms really made us feel empowered and safe. I am retired Air Force so I am eligible to camp at military sponsored campgounds. For Frances, we went to Hurlburt Field campground in the panhandle of Florida. We stayed until Frances decided to visit the panhandle so we went to Keesler AFB in Biloxi, MS. We stayed there until it was safe to return to Palm Bay. For Jeanne, we went to Tampa and MacDill AFB for one night. The campground was evacuated because Jeanne was not recurving soon enough, so we went to a civilian campground in Fort Meyers Florida, about 120 miles south of Tampa. That was just far enough away from the storm... barely. We had 40-50 knot winds there, but we weathered it all just fine. As for the home in Palm Bay, we had very minor and superficial damage. Others were not so lucky.

The military campgrounds in general are very well built and maintained. They charge $12-14/night in general. For the military active duty and reserves and retired folk, it is an excellent way to travel. The grounds are usually first come, first served and active duty have preference as well they should. Many who are transferred can stay there until their quarters are ready or they can find accomdations on the economy.

Sorry to go so far astray from the subject.

Vic
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
https://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 08:16 AM   #14
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Dangerous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband
Jonathan

Can you say chemically induced pneumonia.
I would say don't ever start a syphon with your mouth.
Bite the bullet and buy the best certified gas can you can find and use it.
If you must syphon gas use a mechanical hand pump to start the flow.
Please have a long and Healthy Life.
Been there, done that.

When I was 12, I came within an ace of buying the farm because I thought I would do a favor for my father and syphon kerosene for the stove that heated our house. I choked and inhaled some of the kerosene. Two days later, I was at death's door with pneumonia of both lungs. All they had then was sulfa and I barely made it through.

Don't syphon with your mouth!
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 08:27 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
To siphon fuel, without getting gas in your mouth, get a fuel hose with a bulb primer for outboard motors.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:51 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Modifying Honda Gas Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
I will second Dennis, take anything that you are going to fuel OUT OF THE VEHICLE. The bulk of the folks that blew themselves up did it filling a gas can, etc while it was in the trunk or bed of their truck.

One container that would allow for safe contained storage and offer a way to move the fuel without pouring would be a boat gas tank. It has a quick disconnect, and a bulb that would allow for transfer of fuel. There is also the fact that you could retrofit the gas cap on the gen set to draw the fuel out of the boat tank.
Brett:

I personally carry two 2 1/2 gal tanks for my Hondas in a compartment built in to the pickup bed. However, I've been considering the installation of a transfer switch at my camp to permit emergency use of the generators. Using the Hondas in parallel yields about 4.5 hours running time with a fairly reasonable load. Since the emergency at the camp would likely be a winter blizzard, it would be nice to achieve, at a minimum, the ability for the generators to run overnight - say 8 to 10 hours. For the record, we live year-around at the camp and the creature comforts include a forced-hot air furnace, as well as a deep-well pump. I have been unable to make any reasonable provision for alternate heating. Short of abandoning the camp to a blizzard, in favor of the Airstream, just how complicated is the modification of the Honda gas cap to permit using a 6-gal outboard tank?

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 09:56 AM   #17
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
Short of abandoning the camp to a blizzard, in favor of the Airstream, just how complicated is the modification of the Honda gas cap to permit using a 6-gal outboard tank?
Here is a LINK to a prior post mentioning it

Here is a LINK to a member that did this to one genset, I would think 2 would just require a Y connector.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote