Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Limited
southern , ontario
Generators kills RV owner

this week an RV'er died from CO POISONING caused from the gen. exhaust leaking into his RV.
Discussions in other posts have stated how carefull they are in sealing gen. boxes in the RV.
It is the moving RV that breaks the seal that allows CO contamination emitted by the generator.

BE CAREFUL
letsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:54 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
A $20.00 CO detector may have saved his life....

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
LP can get you too

My best buddy's dad just died a few weeks ago from a similar thing:

His LP stove in his cabin had a leaking valve. He had cooked and ate dinner and went to bed. He shut the valve off, but it was leaking slowly. As he slept, it filled the cabin full of LP and asphyxiated both he and his dog. Very tragic.

Now this was in a small hunting cabin, but it could just have easily happened in an RV.

I should know the answer to this...but I've never seen an LP detector. I guess they make them? I have a CO detector in my house, but not in the RV. I'd like to get both for it now.

I'm probably paranoid about LP, but I'm uneasy just lighting the oven pilot to bake a pizza (get out the gas welding face shield...) Kind of like with your dad when you're a kid or with the sarge in boot camp; a little healthy fear is a good thing!
Old 12-13-2008, 09:11 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Yes, they have LP and CO detectors, I have both in my vintage trailer. The LP detector I have is 12v and mounted low because LP sinks, while the CO detector is mounted high because CO rises.

I was very paranoid about the LP when I first got my trailer. Now I just maintain a healthy respect for it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I always wondered about CO rising or falling-
He's an article that discusses

Carbon Monoxide and Density
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:30 AM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Most RV's and all built after a certain date are required to have LP detectors, they are mounted fairly low because LP is heavier than air. CO and Smoke detectors will usually do better mounted up higher as pointed out in the article. FWIW I use all three in my home and in my trailers. Also might want to make sure that you use an RV rated detector in your trailer, they apparently are better suited for vibration and temperature extremes.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:02 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Limited
southern , ontario
I thought all airstreams came with LP DETECTORS as you say mounted at the lowest point (close to the floor) our CO DETECTOR is mounted at bed hight, and of course the SMOKE DETECTOR is on the ceiling.

safe rving
Old 12-15-2008, 03:40 PM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgo View Post
I thought all airstreams came with LP DETECTORS as you say mounted at the lowest point (close to the floor) our CO DETECTOR is mounted at bed hight, and of course the SMOKE DETECTOR is on the ceiling.

safe rving
Not the older ones. I have a 1975 that does not have a factory installed one on it. Don't recall if the '80 has one or not. All new ones HAVE to have them.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:23 PM   #9
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hello -wondered if there is any particular brand on the CO and/or LP detectors that are installed or that any here have added to their older model units? I have heard of Safe T Alert (avail. at CampWorld) but wondered if there are others or better?

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:51 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Alvin , Texas
Folks, my understanding is that the CO mixes "well" with air, meaning height is not as critical for detector placement. But LP must be low.

For those of you like us who own vintage units, here's a good model detector for CO and LP that we bought for both home and RV:

Multi Gas Detector - Natural Gas, Propane Gas & Carbon Monoxide Gas from First Alert.

We got ours at Walmart online.
78GussyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:19 PM   #11
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Has anyone bought or used the Safe-t-Alert made by MTI? or one made by CCI Controls? There seem to be 2 different models of the Safe-t-Alert. I'm trying to get more ideas on these. Thanks.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
It's indeed sad to read stories about RV CO2 deaths.
On a trip this Spring we had both Hondas up and running with the trailer buttoned up and the AC running when I heard the chirp of the CO detector. It took a minute to realize what I was hearing and what the problem was. We immediately aired out and moved the Hondas. Be careful out there Airstreamers.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6 View Post
It's indeed sad to read stories about RV CO2 deaths.
On a trip this Spring we had both Hondas up and running with the trailer buttoned up and the AC running when I heard the chirp of the CO detector. It took a minute to realize what I was hearing and what the problem was. We immediately aired out and moved the Hondas. Be careful out there Airstreamers.
Even your neighbor in the campground can get you..we once had the RV'r next to use run his truck to keep his trailer's batteries charged, ALL NIGHT LONG, or at least that is what he thought before I had a quick talk with him. His exhaust was only 10 feet from our bedroom window, could have been a real problem.

Yes be careful.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:26 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Limited
southern , ontario
remember carbon monoxide is CO (a product of combustion), CO will enter the blood stream paralyze then kill.

carbon dioxide CO2 displaces oxygen then kills (dry ice as a solid)
Old 12-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Salt Lake City , Utah
It has been my understanding that CO and LPG detectors for RVs are designed to withstand rougher conditions (vibration, temperature range, operate on 12 VDC, etc) than those for in home use.
This might not be much of an issue if your RV is mostly stationary at an RV Park with 120 VAC hook ups, but if you are a traveler, occasional boondockers or camper at State & Federal campgrounds with out hook-ups
I would go for a detector that is designed specifically for RV use.
BWH
BWH-Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:09 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Limited
southern , ontario
I think the only way you can beat peace of mind as far as the detectors go is test them frequently.

the breakfast test in the morning ( BURNT TOAST) which happens a lot in our unit.

the LP test I will use my little propane soldering tank for this one ( this only happens once a year).

the CO test this is just about imposible, as these units take samples for 10min. (I beleave) to prevent faulse alarms.

I once stuck a CO detector in a garbage bag and stuck it on the exhaust of my running car, 15min. later the alarm went off. didnt instill much confidence in me at the time.

be safe
Old 12-17-2008, 01:25 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Today I recieved in the mail my order for a SAFE-T-ALERT #70-742 Duel-Carbon Monoxide & Propane Gas Alarm. It is for RVs, 12v, flush mount (3"x4" cut out). Says to mount no more than 20" from the floor in the sleeping area. No more camping without it ! Regular price was $139.00 got it on sale for $99.00 Did a Google search for co & propane detectors.
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

I had to disconnect our LPG detector because a fart will set it off (really) or lighting the oven pilot light. The thing is so loud you can't think or stand to be around it to shut it up. Why did they put it so close, like two feet away from the oven.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:05 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
During an outing in November I had a similar experience with our Honda generators. They were located near the front of the AS and the CO detector is in the rear of the trailer in the rear berth.

Well about 10:00 PM the detector went off and I nearly jumped out the window; however we went into 'safety mode' and opened up the AS to air it out. In addition we relocated the generators. The wind had shifted and the fumes were being blown right under the trailer. Once under the trailer they worked their way up into the cabin.

Be careful out there....I know I learned a valuable lesson about checking batteries, etc on our detectors.
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote