Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2018, 01:43 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Generator size needed to run 1 AC Unit

I use this. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1360.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	320221

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:44 AM   #22
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
2- 2000 Honda give you more power... much lighter and you can use one if don’t need AC can also have a backup if one fails..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Same goes for Yamaha 2000i. With the parallel cable no twist lock adaptor required.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:22 PM   #24
PSU1981

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Conroe , Texas
Awesome - thanks everyone!!

Glenn
PSU1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:53 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Ok folks, I posted this a few places now; I use the Champion Dual Fuel, but it is 95lbs. I run on propane, which gives me options of using the AS connection if needed.

No EasyStart installed on my AS on either the 1500 nor the 13500 AC's; but I am asking for confirmation on the Honda 2200 single generator for running the 13500 without the EasyStart; anyone confirm the following?

Recently my good friend who owns a 23' AS, purchased a new Honda 2200, and had it converted by Genconnex to propane. We camped in Glacier and Banff at 6000+ altitude and I connected it to my 13500 AC; it started right up with no bog down, and I cycled it a few times with no issues. We both wanted to see if it would work; he does have the Easystart on his 23 with the 13500ac....I do not. It also started my 1500AC but it did bog a little when I tried cycling that unit. The 13500 seemed to work just fine. I would like to get some other input, but if this new 2200 can run my 13500, I would likely sell my Dual Fuel Champion, just for the weight convenience....I know I can also just install an EasyStart and run but that is another few hundred bucks...may end up doing that someday if the 2200 won't work consistently...that's where I am asking for some help from you'all…

I really don't want to purchase 2 $1000 each generators...I would just stay with my 95lb champion..
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:30 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
North East , Maryland
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
We have a 2017 23D. No soft start on A/C. Our Champion 3500 Dual Fuel Paid $1050.00 on sale at Camping World (yes, I know some folks that will not shop there). Oh, ELECTRIC START! Very nice to have. Safe travels.
We have an older Champion 3500 (prior to the dual fuel and the new quieter models. Not only does it carry the Air Conditioner; but we have used it to carry our house during major weather outages.We use the fireplace stove in the basement to keep the house warm if it is winter and do not use the AC if it in summer. This unit was about $400 when we bought it at Cabela's. I think the new models are in the same range. Yes, it is heavy. We have the wheels installed and roll it out to the truck, heave it in and leave it there for the trip.
Ladyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:46 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

I have a 2018 33 Classic with dual air. I have two Champion dual fuel 3500's with a parallel kit. My tests show...... One Champion on propane using 30 amp converter to 50 amp AS factory cord will run one a/c and all other household loads at once. Two Champions in parallel on factory AS 50 amp cord into Champion parallel 50 amp plug will run two a/c's and all other household loads at once without straining at all. So we run both gens during afternoon heat and drop down to one gen after the sun sets. I have never tried running both a/c's on one gen through 30 amp converter/plug. Not sure if the AS circuits are set up to do that and don't want to risk blowing an a/c compressor due to low voltage.
jrkott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:37 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkott View Post
I have a 2018 33 Classic with dual air. I have two Champion dual fuel 3500's with a parallel kit. My tests show...... One Champion on propane using 30 amp converter to 50 amp AS factory cord will run one a/c and all other household loads at once. Two Champions in parallel on factory AS 50 amp cord into Champion parallel 50 amp plug will run two a/c's and all other household loads at once without straining at all. So we run both gens during afternoon heat and drop down to one gen after the sun sets. I have never tried running both a/c's on one gen through 30 amp converter/plug. Not sure if the AS circuits are set up to do that and don't want to risk blowing an a/c compressor due to low voltage.
Perhaps with the Easystart running 2 of them on the 3400 can/will work. I would ask Mateo of Microair for advice on this one. I have not tried running both AC's on our Dual Fuel. We only run the single 1500AC if we need AC. I only have had a few times where we needed/used both AC's at once to cool down and we were on shore power when that has happened.

To be honest, I don't like moving around 1 of these size generators at 95lbs each...would not want to run 2...I would move to the 45 lb Honda 2200's and also get the Easystarts, if needed...still trying to get an answer on if they can handle the AC's without the Easystart... Single 2200 worked for my 13500 when I tried a few weeks ago...only ran about 5 min, but no issues. Need more data...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 08-22-2018, 05:25 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
4000 Chinese...like harbor freight..does a good job..with the 15000 btu ac..$278..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:06 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Perhaps with the Easystart running 2 of them on the 3400 can/will work. I would ask Mateo of Microair for advice on this one. I have not tried running both AC's on our Dual Fuel. We only run the single 1500AC if we need AC. I only have had a few times where we needed/used both AC's at once to cool down and we were on shore power when that has happened.

To be honest, I don't like moving around 1 of these size generators at 95lbs each...would not want to run 2...I would move to the 45 lb Honda 2200's and also get the Easystarts, if needed...still trying to get an answer on if they can handle the AC's without the Easystart... Single 2200 worked for my 13500 when I tried a few weeks ago...only ran about 5 min, but no issues. Need more data...
Your point about the weight of the Champions is well taken. They are a bit heavy but manageable for me because my doctor describes me as “big boned”. Big boned guys during Texas summers need AC while boondocking, so having dual ac’s during the heat of the critical late afternoon cocktail hour and the insurance of a “spare” gen for sleeping at night was well worth the extra $1000 for a second gen. I know, ithey ain’t a hondas, but they have worked flawlessly (even under the load of a bar grade blender) and I won’t have a financial meltdown if it “grows wings” and disappears. based on my past experience using genrators for work, I am convinced these generators will be very reliable and easy to maintain if we run them solely on propane.

I have not yet done a detailed analysis on fuel consumption, but I do have aftermarket hour/rpm gauges on my Champions. With one ac running and one gen in economy mode it runs at variably at 3200 to 4000 with loud audible rpm ramp ups. With two ac’s and two gens in paralel in economy mode they run 2800 to 3200 and the audible ramp up and down is barely perceptible. That said I am sure two gens are burning more fuel per hour than one, which is why we shutdown one gen when we don’t need the second ac.

Your point about lighter lower wattage gens is very valid and raises a fundamental question for me..... Why don’t all RV AC’s come with easy start features on their compressors? Is it a matter of upfront cost or is there a performance downside to using them.... OR does an easy start cause more wear and tear on the unit? Does anybody know why easy starts aren’t an OEM feature?

Good Bless You All....and AC!
Old 08-22-2018, 06:41 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Your point about the weight of the Champions is well taken. They are a bit heavy but manageable for me because my doctor describes me as “big boned”. Big boned guys during Texas summers need AC while boondocking, so having dual ac’s during the heat of the critical late afternoon cocktail hour and the insurance of a “spare” gen for sleeping at night was well worth the extra $1000 for a second gen. I know, ithey ain’t a hondas, but they have worked flawlessly (even under the load of a bar grade blender) and I won’t have a financial meltdown if it “grows wings” and disappears. based on my past experience using genrators for work, I am convinced these generators will be very reliable and easy to maintain if we run them solely on propane.

I have not yet done a detailed analysis on fuel consumption, but I do have aftermarket hour/rpm gauges on my Champions. With one ac running and one gen in economy mode it runs at variably at 3200 to 4000 with loud audible rpm ramp ups. With two ac’s and two gens in paralel in economy mode they run 2800 to 3200 and the audible ramp up and down is barely perceptible. That said I am sure two gens are burning more fuel per hour than one, which is why we shutdown one gen when we don’t need the second ac.

Your point about lighter lower wattage gens is very valid and raises a fundamental question for me..... Why don’t all RV AC’s come with easy start features on their compressors? Is it a matter of upfront cost or is there a performance downside to using them.... OR does an easy start cause more wear and tear on the unit? Does anybody know why easy starts aren’t an OEM feature?

Good Bless You All....and AC!
Well, we surely know the heat when we are home in Austin, typically end of September or early October timeframe...we still camp a lot but mostly at state parks like Inks Lake, where they have power for not too bad price with senior rate. I do like my Champion Dual Fuel with electric start for reasons you mentioned; it is quiet, solid, and didn't break the bank...just almost brakes my back each time I get it in/out of the bed of the truck!.
I can get 5+ days use on a 20lb bottle when boondocking on propane, and I have it set up with a 20ft hose to use my AS quick-disconnect propane if I want to use. Also, we run refrigerator on propane, and use the batteries for all other needs, including when I use the inverter for TV or electric coffee pot.... Only use the generator for power for the AC or microwave, or to charge batteries when our portable solar is not able to get enough sun...not a lot of need for AC in the Rockies in summer at night, and during the day we are out and about. In TX, it's another matter...especially during Longhorn season! But, again, we are usually at a campground with power while in TX, unless we are at the coast, like Mustang Island on the beach...have not done that in last couple years.

I'm all about efficency and saving money; ie Champion purchases...My point on the new Honda2200 is really it seems to offer more capability and if it can run my 1350AC, I am very interested...45lbs...if I have to also purchase the propane upgrade and the Easystart....now I am back up to around $1800-$2000...for one. I would be glade to sell my Champion and bite the bullet on the Honda2200 with the propane conversion if it could work without Easystart...

Sometime, saving money becomes more of a goal than a practicality...
Old 08-22-2018, 06:43 PM   #32
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

Quote:
Does anybody know why easy starts aren’t an OEM feature?
It would be an incremental cost burden put upon to all buyers that only benefits a small % of owners.

For what it is worth I own two of them (one for each AC) - but most owners simply don’t need them.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:30 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
It would be an incremental cost burden put upon to all buyers that only benefits a small % of owners.

For what it is worth I own two of them (one for each AC) - but most owners simply don’t need them.

Thanks Wulfraat. Are you convinced easy starts do not hurt the reliability of the AC units? God blessed my career and resulting modest savings, but my longevity may be limited so I am willing to invest in the best equipment while I am above the soil. (St. Peter does not accept cash at the Pearly gates, so I am about RELIABLE EVERYTHING MECHANICAL WORKS quality time with the wife and family....and that occasionally means burning propane and enjoying ac where ever we need to.). My two portable 20 lb tanks,40 lb horizontal pickup bed tank and two stock 40lb vertical propane tanks fed into the Champions keep the ac cool and outlast our water tank staying time.

So my main concern has been whether installing an easy start...might decrease the reliability of my ac compressor starting.....
Old 08-22-2018, 07:33 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
You can't go wrong with a pair of Honda 2200i paired , each weigh the same as a full 20# propane tank. Easy to load and carry.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:48 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
atlanta , GA
Honda 2000i and micro air soft start. If you camp in state parks or national parks, I don't want to be that guy with a loud ass generator blasting throughout. I can run 1 ac on economy mode.

2nd gen. $1000. Soft start and 45 minutes of my time, only $249 with your $50 discount for putting airstream in the coupon window.
kkdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:22 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Brook Park , Ohio
Westinghouse iGen 2200 with an Easy Start from microair.net installed on the Dometic 15k A/C. An iGen 2500 would work better alone but it’s not what I have. Maybe another Westinghouse one day. Even the iGen 2500 is half the price of big red. And no problems at all after running daily through the hot, high humidity Midwest. Sure, can’t run everything at once but in the morning when it’s cooler, coffee make and toaster ran fine. BTW, my A/C is on a 20A breaker. And I used fifty feet of 30A RV cord with an adapter to the “household” outlet on the Westinghouse. This is real-life, not engineering theory, and nothing caught fire or exploded. The overload on the gen had to be reset several times when I tried to run too much on the inappropriately sized gen which was all I could afford at the time. And I was not compensated for any comment. Good luck.
chdeatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:47 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Greensboro , North Carolina
We have a 3500 watt Predator inverter generator from Harbor Freight and it runs really quiet and powers everything in the camper just fine. They go on sale often for $650 - $675

https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-w...tor-63584.html

"It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA
762x51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:57 PM   #38
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

Quote:
Thanks Wulfraat. Are you convinced easy starts do not hurt the reliability of the AC units?

Yes absolutely.

Dometic themselves OEM the first generation ‘easy start’ designed by Matteo Giovanetti when he worked at hyper engineering and re-sell under the dometic name / brand - dometic market it as the “smart start”. They are a very popular application in the marine industry where AC units are exclusively started by generator and / or battery power.

https://www.dometic.com/en/se/suppor...t-iii-_-139057

Matteo moved on from hyper engineering and went to work for MicroAir out of NJ and improved upon the original design with improved software orchestration - and the current generation technology is sold under the MicroAir “easy start” brand - offered direct to consumer.

I recently put up a separate post outlining some of the history on these devices but bottom line soft starters do a great job of reducing unnecessary wear and tear on the compressor motor. They are a good thing.

Dometic distributors will charge $570 for the first generation ‘easy start’ technology while you would pay $300 or so direct from microair and it is the latest generation of the technology......
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:01 PM   #39
PSU1981

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Conroe , Texas
Do the newer AS’s come with an easy start? I have a 2015 27 FC FB with 2 AC’s - trying to figure out if they already have easy starts?
PSU1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:18 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Nope. It’s an aftermarket improvement item. Airstream installs a standard air conditioner.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote