Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
OK, I'm a Gen noobee. That is, I have used the "brutes" for home storm backup and am very familiar with them technically (although I want more info on an inverter generator vs. the regular generators) , and like you have used electric sites mostly. My thought, is I like the idea of the 3 stage charging in my converter/charger for battery happiness reasons, so I would look to plug the gen in for AC power to the AS, rather than use the 12V feature on the Gen. I too, am trying to learn from the experienced on this subject and really don't know if I want a Gen for battery charging only, for A/C use, or somewhere in between. I would like to start more boondocking. Someday solar, but not until I am able to use AS extensively (retirement). by then solar will presumably be much less expensive. In the meantime....what generator to get?????
IMHO, the big decision you need to make is, do you want to be able to run the airconditioner with the generator.

If you do, then you either need two 2KW's or one 3.4KW, +,-. If not, then any generator will run the converter/charger.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:52 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1961 16' Bambi
1956 16' Bubble
Potrero , California
Anyone using the new Yamaha 2000i generators? Either as a single or in pair for more power? We're considering replacing our Yamaha 1000...
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1961 Bambi, 16' California
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:58 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
IMHO, the big decision you need to make is, do you want to be able to run the airconditioner with the generator.

If you do, then you either need two 2KW's or one 3.4KW, +,-. If not, then any generator will run the converter/charger.

Yeah, I get that. Is Honda the ONLY mfr who has the parallel setup. I'm thinking, since I really don't know some of the answers on how I'll use it yet, get a 2000 Honda, and add one later if I DON't get solar. Seems very flexible for the undecided....but pricey! Which do you buy for the first one? The parallel equipped honda or the solo. Can't remember the real names, sorry!
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1961 16' Bambi
1956 16' Bubble
Potrero , California
Yamaha 2000watt generators?

dznfOg,
The yamaha 2000w gens can be hooked up in parallel as well. They appear to be one and the same however I have not found someone that is using these yet. I want to buy one now, a second one possibly next year...
Fuel shut-off is one reason for the Y over the H gens.
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1961 Bambi, 16' California
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I've not used it too much yet, but what I have has been good. I bought this: Boliy Pro 3600SI+: Smallest Size and Biggest Power Generator from Rec-Direct
Old 04-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashton View Post
ok just bought a honda gen. for battery charge do you recommend running through the trailer or the direct from d.c adapter or plug a charger into the generator. also while charging do you use the disconnect switch by the door or pull the cables off the batteries. last question do you charge each battery by themselves or both together. thanks We have always used full hookups but want to try some dry camping
Most smaller gensets put out e.g. 12 volts d.c., which is not enough to fully charge your batteries. The conventional wisdom, it seems to me, is just to plug your trailer into the generator's 120v. outlet and let your converter do the work. To both batteries at once. I know nothing about the "disconnect switch by the door" ... the point is that your generator works just like shore power, with the exception that a smaller one won't run everything at once. But it likely will power the converter to charge the batteries.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfirebob View Post
dznfOg,
Fuel shut-off is one reason for the Y over the H gens.
EU2000 and EU3000 H gens have fuel shut-off switches.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:47 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashton View Post
ok just bought a honda gen. for battery charge do you recommend running through the trailer or the direct from d.c adapter or plug a charger into the generator. also while charging do you use the disconnect switch by the door or pull the cables off the batteries. last question do you charge each battery by themselves or both together. thanks We have always used full hookups but want to try some dry camping
I agree with AirsDream about plugging into the generator with your shore power line and letting the converter do the work of charging the batteries...you can also use the 120v power receptacles in the coach at the same time if you wish. You do not have to put the disconnect switch to the "store" position while doing this. By the way, that light on the switch stays on in either position when you are plugged into shore power or a generator. If you are running on battery power, if you put it in "store" position the light will go out and so will all your 12v power in the coach...and your coach will be disconnected from the batteries.

I believe that charging your batteries directly with a battery charger is maybe more efficient for charging, but I'm not sure why I would want to haul a battery charger around if I can do it though the converter... I'm sure some folks do, though. We don't own one, and wouldn't have room to take it along if we did! I'm afraid I don't know if you should disconnect the battery or cables while charging with a battery charger or directly with a 12 connection from the generator. Someone here must know...and hopefully they will weigh in...

Good luck!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:36 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' International CCD
Spring , Texas
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
I agree with AirsDream about plugging into the generator with your shore power line and letting the converter do the work of charging the batteries...you can also use the 120v power receptacles in the coach at the same time if you wish. You do not have to put the disconnect switch to the "store" position while doing this. By the way, that light on the switch stays on in either position when you are plugged into shore power or a generator. If you are running on battery power, if you put it in "store" position the light will go out and so will all your 12v power in the coach...and your coach will be disconnected from the batteries.

I believe that charging your batteries directly with a battery charger is maybe more efficient for charging, but I'm not sure why I would want to haul a battery charger around if I can do it though the converter... I'm sure some folks do, though. We don't own one, and wouldn't have room to take it along if we did! I'm afraid I don't know if you should disconnect the battery or cables while charging with a battery charger or directly with a 12 connection from the generator. Someone here must know...and hopefully they will weigh in...

Good luck!
Ditto.

Ed
eleighj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I thought my 2000 inv had cables to directly charge a battery. I think they were extra. Am I wrong? zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:21 AM   #51
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
I thought my 2000 inv had cables to directly charge a battery. I think they were extra. Am I wrong? zz
Your right, they put 7 amps into a battery but its not regulated, so it will keep putting in 7 amps after the battery is full.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I think the 12 v feature is for charging batteries in the field. You can charge a battery directly from the generator when no battery charger is available. I agree with the others who say simply plug in the trailer and let your converter do the work.

I have a single 2000 as I don't use the AC much at all. When traveling into hot climates, we usually will stay at full hook up sites for that reason. If I needed to run the AC I think I would pick up a second 2000. According the the msrp listed on the Honda web site, the cost of 2, 2000s is less than the cost of a single 3000. And, you get more flexibility in doing it this way.

Just my random thoughts.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Finally broke down and spent some cash today for a blue generator. Bought the 3000 inverter Yamaha w/boost. Then I also bought a nice manual crank hoist arm that will work off of my receiver hitch to lift that baby up and down when needed. Now I can run that A/C unit any time, any place while traveling and boondocking.
I've been laboring over this decision for over a year so it feels good to finally get it.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote