Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2023, 09:38 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Muskegon , MI
Generator question

Hello everyone

My husband and I are on our 1st road trip with our 25ft flying cloud and we're LEARNING A LOT as we go 😵*💫 We've decided we need a generator when we're stay at Harvest Host locations.
Our AS dealer had mentioned buying 2 small one and connecting them? Any tips/recommendations are GREATLY APPRECIATED.

FYI
We'll probably be using our laptop/TV and my water kettle and occasionally the air-conditioning

Thanks Heidi ❤️
Heidi Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 09:52 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2023 27' Flying Cloud
Hansville , WA
Generator question

We purchased the Honda 2200 model highly recommended by others. Honda quality, low noise and weighs about 50#'s. We can run the microwave or the Keurig and all lights. To run the air conditioner, you need a soft start either installed on the AC or purchase a plug in softstart unit which allows us to run the air conditioner. Starting the compressor on the air conditioner draws more amps than the 2200 can supply. The softstart unit provides the necessary control to allow the generator to run the AC. I disagree with the need to buy and carry two generators-seems like a waste of money and adds weight to your payload limits. Others may disagree but one generator works fine for us. My thoughts anyway. Good luck.
Big Red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 09:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Congrats on your new flying cloud!

There are lots of options to consider when selecting a generator. These include: generator power/wattage output, cost, portability, camping style and preferred locations, and fuel type.

Your tow vehicle will come into play as you decide. For example, if you tow with a large SUV, then a gasoline powered generator is probably not the best choice because it will stink of gas fumes inside your SUV. With a truck, this isn’t as much of a problem.

If you camp at higher altitudes in the mountains, then a small generator might not provide enough power for you because altitude reduces the power of internal combustion engines.

If you use lots of propane accessories like a grill, a fire pit, etc., then gasoline might be a better option for your generator. It’s often easier to find gasoline than it is to find propane if you’re in a remote area.

Many people love Honda generators and they can be connected together to give you more power. They can also be purchased already converted to run on propane. However, they’re quite expensive.

Champion generators are also very popular as a less expensive alternative to Honda. They can also be connected together to provide more power.

Does your Airstream have 30A electrical or 50A electrical connection? If you’ve got 50A and you want to run both air conditioners at the same time, you’ll need to make sure you have enough power.

Based on your description of your intended usage, I’d probably start with a smaller generator and see how it works for you and then add another if you find it to be inadequate. You’ll likely see some great deals on larger units like 3,450W or 4,500W, but they’re heavy. They’re great options for some people, but not so much for others.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 10:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
With all you wish to run. 4500 watt weighs 100 lbs
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 10:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I’ve got a Champion 4,500W gasoline powered generator with remote start. It has been a great little unit for the past three seasons. It was quite affordable, and the remote start is wonderful. For my camping style, it’s perfect. But again, some people don’t want to deal with a 100 lb.+ generator or with gasoline.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 11:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Part off the generator question is how are you going to carry it? Is your TV a SUV or a pickup truck with a bed? How much load capacity do you have left? Are you thinking about carrying the generator in the trailer and moving it each stop? Do you want to run the generator on gasoline or propane? How to carry the extra fuel? Do you often camp in hot weather without hookups? The good thing about generators now is that there are a lot of choices in size, power and price.

I personally use a very old Honda 2000 and carry it in the bed of my pickup. I bought one with the idea of adding the second. Then I found Micro Air and the easy start. That worked for my AC so I never bought the second generator. We stay away from the warmer southern regions of the country. I only run the AC a few days a year on the gen. But...it is much appreciated when we do. I run it every 2 days when we do not have hookups to keep the battery charged. I run a CPAP at night and like to keep charged.

The dual generator approach does work. I see it fairly frequently on the caravans we have been on. And...a Honda 3500 with electric start in the bed of the truck works very well and I see that fairly often from people from the south like Louisiana and Texas.

Maybe get a Honda 2200 and the Easy start and try it. You can add the second generator later if you want to. And the Honda will be a fairly easy sale if you decide on something altogether different.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 12:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
We bought one Honda 2200i converted to propane by Genconnex with the thought that we could buy a second if we needed it. Have not needed it. We installed Micro-Air EasyStarts on both our A/C's. No issues running one A/C with the Honda. In a 25 and if you have it, the second A/C is a luxury to cool down quickly not a necessity. So planning for running both on a generator is not necessary in my opinion.

We selected propane partially because we tow with a SUV and don't want to haul gasoline inside but also because we use the generator as a home backup and, unlike gasoline, propane does not go bad over time and so it is less of a storage issue.

There are cheaper options, but we would go this route if we had to do it again.

Edit: With one 2200, you probably need to turn off the A/C to run the kettle. That is what we do with the microwave. Easily manageable.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 12:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

North AL , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
We bought one Honda 2200i converted to propane by Genconnex with the thought that we could buy a second if we needed it. Have not needed it. We installed Micro-Air EasyStarts on both our A/C's. No issues running one A/C with the Honda. In a 25 and if you have it, the second A/C is a luxury to cool down quickly not a necessity. So planning for running both on a generator is not necessary in my opinion.

We selected propane partially because we tow with a SUV and don't want to haul gasoline inside but also because we use the generator as a home backup and, unlike gasoline, propane does not go bad over time and so it is less of a storage issue.

There are cheaper options, but we would go this route if we had to do it again.

Edit: With one 2200, you probably need to turn off the A/C to run the kettle. That is what we do with the microwave. Easily manageable.
This is exactly what we do and it works great (although I hope to use it even less this year since we upgraded to Lithiums and added additional solar).

It also allows you room to add generator capacity if you need it with a parallel cable and another 2200i.
Tyler2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 02:36 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Williamsburg , Virginia
We are very happy with our Honda 2200 Genconnex propane generator. Clean, light, quiet, enough power if managed well. There are less expensive options, but Honda quality is top notch. Ditto post #7.
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 02:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Purchased the new Honda EU3200i so we would not have to worry about the power to run the AC at higher altitudes. At just under 60 pounds dry, it is manageable. Have not tried it out yet.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 04:52 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
East Hampton , Connecticut
I have a Westinghouse/Cummins 4500-watt inverter generation that fits nicely in the bed of my truck. It powers both A/C's with EasyStart as well as the refrigerator and battery charger. Also, it is dual fuel, relatively quiet, and reasonably priced. I have used it for over 200 hrs with no problems so far and appears to be well-designed and built. A high-altitude kit is available, but I have used it in Durango, Colorado with no problems.
dave10a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 05:13 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
Congrats on your new AS.

I recommend that before you spend any more money, see how camping goes with what you have and how you use it. You may find you have enough already.

When we started out we purchased a Champion 3400. It ran the AC just fine, but we discovered that we didn’t use it as much as we thought we would. Our trailer had 180 watts of solar and 160ah of AGM batteries from the factory and that worked surprisingly well.

When we started full-time, we decided to upgrade our internal power systems and added more solar and 600ah of lithium batteries, along with a 3000w inverter. We haven’t used the generator in over 18 months…partly because the thing weighed almost 100 lbs and it was a pain to get it out of the truck.

We donated that generator and replaced it with a Champion 2500. That guy weighs about 40 lbs and I can lift it out of the truck bed with one hand and it sets up much more easily. We still haven’t used it (aside from the initial break in and an occasional “maintenance run”) but it is a nice to have, just in case kind of item.

I think that Champion makes a pretty good product. It’s not a Honda, for sure…but I don’t have Honda money. There are many different brands you can consider, but again, I would see how you get by with what you have before adding more to the toolbox.
Jeff7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 06:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I carried a Honda 3500 with electric start for many years. It was heavy to put in and out of the truck bed, so I sold it 2 years ago. Probably had less than 75 hours on it. Bought 2 Ducar 2000 watt generators for the same price as 1 Honda. For all that they are used, to me it's a better deal. At 49 lbs. the wife can load them!! Harbor freight also has good deals on generators. Honda's are like Cadillacs, not everyone needs one!
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 08:18 AM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
17 seasons with a Honda 2000 that I converted to LP. SFSG.
Plenty of Honda stores if service is needed.

Bob
🇺🇸
POI... it runs its own tent.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-05-2023, 08:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Bob, What's that grill in the pic with the 1lb propane bottle?
Roadtech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 09:19 AM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
It was a Holland Companion...I say was because it lacked the BTU's and took forever to grill anything. Got rid of it years ago.
Looked nice though.

Bob
🇺🇸
Now using a Weber.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	76FA30E4-55BE-4141-B305-6AFE4B24CC28_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	426842  
Old 01-05-2023, 09:32 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Generator question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
It was a Holland Companion...I say was because it lacked the BTU's and took forever to grill anything. Got rid of it years ago.

Looked nice though.

Bob

[emoji631]

Now using a Weber.

That Weber have a condiment problem [emoji846], Happy New Year Bob. BTW, Weber is a great product. I have a three burner Spirit, it also likes condiments pictured and thinking of the 1200 Weber for camping.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 05:04 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Hoover , Alabama
We are in the market for a generator, but I am wondering if you are concerned with it getting stolen during the night? Do you lock it some way to the trailer or truck?
NanTay1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 05:14 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanTay1126 View Post
We are in the market for a generator, but I am wondering if you are concerned with it getting stolen during the night? Do you lock it some way to the trailer or truck?
Many are concerned about that, I'm sure you can find threads on this. Some mount the generator on a plate that also goes under a tire or the tongue jack.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Generator question

I keep mine inside the cab high camper shell on the road outta sight and tie it down with a cable and a big honking lock when I’m running it in the truck bed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0293.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	760.1 KB
ID:	427954

That’s the old tonneau cover. It’s a cab high shell matching the truck color now…orange hose is a silicon exhaust extension to move the noise and fumes further away. Gray hose hooks propane from the A-frame port to the demand regulator for the Champion 3400 dual fuel generator. Runs the entire Airstream without breaking a sweat.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote