Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Valentine , Louisiana
Generator Prep Kit

I would like to add a 30 amp plug to the front of our AS. I have seen it available as an option on newer trailers. I'm looking for any information that would help me accomplish this.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I'm considering the same thing; Let's see what shows up.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_p View Post
I would like to add a 30 amp plug to the front of our AS. I have seen it available as an option on newer trailers. I'm looking for any information that would help me accomplish this.

Thanks
You need a transfer switch for starters.
Second getting a 10 GA wire from the rear to the front is not easy. As an option it goes in the wall before the inner shell is installed.

You would have to run it underneath.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
Second getting a 10 GA wire from the rear to the front is not easy. As an option it goes in the wall before the inner shell is installed.

Someone added an extensive solar system and giant inverter to our trailer (probably the original owners), and they ran 120 volt lines to the inverter (and back to the box) inside the trailer. I'm not sure where they go through the bedroom, but they're behind the sink in the bathroom, behind the fridge, then under the tables in the front. They're barely noticeable actually - you have to look to see them.

This thread gives me an idea...since that wire is already there it would NOT be hard at all to do this to ours. And I could fix the inverter wiring to boot, if they make three-way transfer switches...

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Valentine , Louisiana
Transfer Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post

Thanks for the Info

30A Transfer Switch
Progressive Dynamics - Progressive Dynamics 30 Amp Generator Transfer Switch - Generator Accessories - Camping World
Dean&Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:08 AM   #6
Leavingtherut.com

2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
Actually a very easy job. I can post pictures, but all I did was wire in a marine 30A transfer switch, drill a hole through the floor behind the electrical panel, route outdoor 30A cable to the transfer switch and attach the cable to the belly with stainless straps and screws (near where it is riveted for structural stregnth). At the hitch I left enough free cable to make it to the back of the truck then used male and female marine locking 30A connections to plug it into a generator cable I made in the same fashion. When not in use, cable sits over hitch just like the 7 way does. The entire project cost me about $175 and 2 hours. I also overbuilt it for safety. Let me know if u have any questions.