Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Roswell , Georgia
Generator not starting the AC

I recently acquired a 25' 89 Excella. We have camped with it three times and the AC works fine on shore power.

At home, the AS is parked in a field too far from power for an extension cord. Since this is August in Georgia, working on the AS without AC is not an option. We bought a Boliy Pro3600Si/E. It is rated to start a 13,500BTU AC and it started the AC twice, but it has not started the AC since. Since it is a 22 year old Coleman Super-Mach 6798A AC, I figured that it might start easier with a new hard start capacitor. Today I added a Supco SPP6. The good news is that when I switch from fan only to AC low, it tries twice as long to start. But ultimately, the compressor and fan go quiet.

I did remove a mud dabber nest from the tops of the compressor and fan capacitors. It was pretty corroded.

My next step is to get a clip-on ammeter to see which of these two players, the generator or the AC, are out of spec.

Has anyone else been where I am now? How long do these ACs last? I am receptive to any ideas that less expensive than 1) a new AC or 2) a new Yamaha.
trearick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
I would consider dumping the Boliy. Go to a Honda 3000 of two Honda 2000's.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
What else in the trailer may be on? Hot water heater electric? Look for power hogs that may draw juice from starting the AC. Do not have to long a cord connecting the genset to the trailer.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote