Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2020, 06:36 PM   #1

1987 29' Airstream 290
On the road , On the road
Generator not charging batteries

Hi all! I have an old Onan Emerald III generator built into my Airstream. It starts and runs great. My problem is that it's no longer charging my four 6V house batteries via my Victron MultiPlus 3000 inverter. It used to work just fine, and I'm not sure what has changed. I have a good amount of solar, so I rarely rely on my generator, but man oh man, it's nice to have when you need it!

Like most, I'm not an electrical expert, but here's what I've discovered from some basic detective work:

1) My inverter and batteries are working fine with solar and when plugged into shore power.

2) I've checked the fuses/circuit breakers inside the Airstream (that I know of) with a multimeter and everything seems fine.

3) There is a Blue Sea Systems circuit breaker that was part of the solar install. The green light turns on when plugged into shore power, but not when running the generator (I believe it used to when the generator was still charging the batteries).

4) When I first tried to diagnosis this issue, I did notice that one of the small circuit breakers on the generator was flipped. Saw something similar (different Onan model) in this YouTube video (@ around 2:30): . I then put it in the "on" position, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

5) The inverter no longer recognizes (i.e. lights up) when running the generator. I believe I used to use the "charger only" mode on the main inverter on/off button.

Okay, I'll leave it at that. For all you folks more expert than I, please let me know what other info would be helpful to narrow things down and if I should attach any pics of the hardware in question. Thanks in advance!
SlowTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 05:13 AM   #2
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Assuming you have the Onan6.5 or 7.0, on your unit on the right side are 2 circuit breakers, one 20 and one 30 amp.

If they are ok, your transfer switch may be bad. Its not at the generator, but somewhere inside the coach. The 20 amp circuit breaker is typically mounted to the generator box on the inside of your coach, the 30 amp transfer switch close to the shore power in. Some rigs have 3 transfer switches, if you also have an inverter in the system.

The transfer switches control who supplies power to the varies circuits.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote