Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2003, 12:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
**Generator Noise**

Are the Honda generators really super quiet?

I have a Generac 5500XL I purchased during the ice storm and I thought of using it; however, I think it might be a little on the loud side!

I also find that it would be quite a job to haul it around-(just in case I needed it). I’ve tried to think of how it could be mounted but I can’t come up with a way on the trailer I think would be safe. Not enough room behind the tanks and then I don’t think it should be close to them. What a bang that would make if something went wrong!

If I hauled it in the back of the pick-up I find it’s too high to lift onto the truck by myself. A small crane might work though! I could wheel it up a ramp but then it would need to be a long ramp. Anyway, It weighs about 180 lbs., any suggestions!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 12:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Here is my suggestion: Sell it and buy a Honda!! Or, keep it and buy a Honda.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 12:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I have the Generac 3500 on wheels and use ramps to load it into the back of the p/u. The ramp is made from 2X8 boards with the aluminum ends you can purchase at home depot. However; 2X6's would work (lighter and less space) if you only use the ramps with the genset. The 2X6 can also be used for other things like side to side level of the trailer ect.
My Generac has a Honda engine and is not as loud as some units I have heard. I can also leave it in the back of the truck when running and reduce the sound. I like it better than having to have 2 Honda 2000's to run the AC.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 02:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Quote:
I have the Generac 3500 on wheels and use ramps to load it into the back of the p/u. The ramp is made from 2X8 boards with the aluminum ends you can purchase at home depot. However; 2X6's would work (lighter and less space) if you only use the ramps with the genset. The 2X6 can also be used for other things like side to side level of the trailer ect.
My Generac has a Honda engine and is not as loud as some units I have heard. I can also leave it in the back of the truck when running and reduce the sound. I like it better than having to have 2 Honda 2000's to run the AC.
Gary,

Thanks for your input! I do like the generator; I think it would take care of my house and the camper. I discovered a very good heavy duty cart with pneumatic wheels that was less expensive than the wheel kit, so I purchased that to move it around on. It is a little taller than if it had the wheel kit on the generator.

My concern with it running while on the truck would be any danger of building up static. I know it should be grounded though! What are your thoughts on that?

Another draw back is the height of the truck bed; its 38” to the top of the tail gate with it down. That is what I was referring to when I mentioned I might need a crane!

At any rate I’m just kicking around different ideas and thought with everyone’s suggestions I might find a practical solution. If all else fails and I really need to use it, it will get there and I can always sit it on the ground as it was intended for!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 04:52 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

I have two 2000 Honda EUs and they are quite and put out the power you need to run everything. Mayberry.com has great prices too. Bill
Dusty601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 08:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Bill,

Could you double-check and provide that URL again? Thanks!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 03:11 AM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Try www.mayberrys.com they will be glad to email you a quote. Our personal preference is two EU2000i if we don't need A/C we will just take one along...LOL we usually end up taking both! But when camping one must be prepared!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 04:27 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Sorry I left the "s" of of mayberrys.com they have an 800 number too @ 696-1745. Bill
Dusty601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 03:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Silvertwinky;
I hvae not given the static build up much thought I don't see how that would be a problem I have a rubber anti slip pad in the bed. However; it could be a problem refuling but I have never refuled it in the truck.
I have used it in the back of the truck many times with no problem. I have considered using a 21" fan to keep things cooled down but haven't had to yet.
The 3500 weights around 105 lb. and I installed my own axles and wheels ( not a kit but welded to the frame) so it is not quite the problem you have. I'm not sure what the Honda 2000i weighs but it would not run my AC and this unit with the Honda engine is only around $650 compared to $1500 or more for two of the 2000i's.
I wanted the 5500 when I bought this one but they didn't have one in stock with the Honda engine.
Guess the crane is the way you may have to go !!!! LOL.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 04:48 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Honda EU2000 noise levels

I have to admit, I was very surprise at the almost silent operation of a pair of the EU2000s in operation. A couple of weekends ago we attended the Rocky Mnt VAC rally and due to the great turnout, we all doubled up in the parking slots. Unfortunately, even with all the adapters everyone had brought alone and purchased locally, a few rigs could not come up with a way to share the single 30amp power source at each site. At the site immediately next to me, such a situation existed, but then they remembered that they had brought their EU2000s along, so out they came and both were started (it was hot during the day, so AC was really needed for comfort). You had to be standing right next to them to hear the noise and even then you could carry on a conversation at whisper level if desired. They could NOT be heard inside our rig and the exhausts were pointed directly at us (the units were about 15 ft away). I really liked the way that the engines where able to autothrottle based on load, since the EU series is really a DC generator with an integral AC inverter. I had made up my mind that the EU2000 was the way to go prior to this first hand exposure to them, but now it is a total no-brainer. There are lower price alternatives, but for low weight, silent operation, pure sinewave, constant voltage, electronic friendly gensets, the Hondas are a winner. The only downside I could see was they were so small and lightweight that a lock and chain would probably not be a bad investment as I could really see these little units walking away if unattended.
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 05:14 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
We have the EU2000i and I have had people ask me about the unit because it is so quiet. Where we generally camp (national forest, national or state parks, blm land) the low noise level is a real plus. On occasion, I have been in campgrounds when other RV's have been using large, much noisier gensets, and for me, it really takes away from the enjoyment. We will spend the extra money to add a second EU2000i if needed, rather than add to the noise pollution in the campground.

People in the next site over cannot hear the Honda. Not true with most others gensets. And, BTW the Honda weighs all of about 50 lbs, gas tank full. Easy to handle, no wheels or crane necessary. But a good, strong chain and lock is a must!
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 08:19 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

generator noise

How does the Honda EU3000 compare? as to weight, noise, and other factors?
smallfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 08:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
The Honda 3000i is rated quieter than the 2000i, puts out 1.5 times as much power, weights 3 times as much, has an electric starter, has a 30 amp 110v twist lock plug.

A friend just bought one. Ran it in the back of his truck with the shell doors open. It had problems with the Coleman AC on the B Van but not the Armstrong on the Ambassador.

The difference in sound going from a 2000 to a 3000 is probably about the same as going from a pair of 2000's to just one. 2x2000 is most noisy, 1x2000 middle noisy and 1x3000 least noisy. And the noise for all three configurations is way below conversation level sound pressures.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 09:21 PM   #14
lee
2 Rivet Member

Lightbulb

One other option that works if you have a 13500 BTU or less AC in a newer AC unit is the Yamaha 2800 i . Yes it does produce a little more noise that 2 honda eu 2000 but not much. It weights 66 lbs dry and is 16.75 inches tall,important if you have a hard toneau cover on a pickup, costs $1,169 to $1300 depending where you buy it. Tool crib of the north through amazon has the best price I've seen and you would need an adapter so you get all the amps ( 30 amp male to 30 amp RV female ) about 20 bucks.

I have the YG2800i and i love it but then I could not justify the extra $700 for just a little less noise and I don't want to lift more that the yamaha yg2800, the ef2800 weights 2lbs less. Two eu2000's do give out more power though.

Good luck with your decisions.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:41 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Tidewater , Virginia
I have the Yamaha 2800i model and I am very happy with it. The noise is not objectionable, it has an 'eco' throttle (variable speed based on power draw) and most importantly it is an inverter genset providing very clean power. My computer and A/C love it. It's nosier than the Honda, 200 watts less output, weighs less, and far less expensive. Like the question "Which Airstream is best?", it's a personal choice. Adding a length of boat exaust tubing to the exaust does quiet the unit significantly.

BTW there are two Yamaha 2800 inverter models the difference is the 'g' model has a gfi protected plug built in.

Take care,

Sean
A-6E All Weather Attack Driver, BUFF
USN Aircraft Maintenance Officer, Ret.
'91 Suburban R-2500 w/BBC
'78 Honda GL-1000
'72 Triumph T-100R Daytona
dinoburb is offline   Reply With Quote