Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2020, 12:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Kirkland , Washington
Generator Fuel Storage and Pump

Hi,
Got my AS last month and there are so much to learn! one thing I am trying to figure out is fuel storage, I have a 2300w inverter generator, since the usage of the generator is hard to predict/estimate, when you leave camp site, there will be fuel left in the generator, sometimes maybe more than half. My TV is an mid-size SUV and I hate to have a generator with more than half tank of gasoline in it. it just feels unsafe not to mention the fume. So a few questions.

- is there an automatic pump that I can use to pump fuel out and into my TV's fuel tank?
- If a motored pump is unsafe(electricity and gasoline might not play well together), are there manual pump that are reasonably small and doesn't take forever to pump a gallon of fuel?
- Can I use the pump to transfer fuel from my TV to generator? I think the fuel tank of my TV is an ideal storage - it's safe, and I don't have to worry about fuel stabilizer either.

Thanks!
hovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:21 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Carmel , Indiana
Convert it to LP and carry no gas.
https://genconnexdirect.net/honda_ge...opane_kits.htm
Mike46032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
If LP is not an option, most generators include a drain on the fuel line, provided to avoid gummy fuel during long term storage. Check it out before you invest in a fussy, smelly alternative.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:05 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike46032 View Post
LP is not an option, the only reason I want to run generator is running A/C with EasyStart. which is right at the max output of the generator. running on LP would not provide the output required.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:09 PM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
You can buy a hand gasoline transfer pump at Harbor Freight for 4 bucks.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:59 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Newport Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hovr View Post
Hi,

Got my AS last month and there are so much to learn! one thing I am trying to figure out is fuel storage, I have a 2300w inverter generator, since the usage of the generator is hard to predict/estimate, when you leave camp site, there will be fuel left in the generator, sometimes maybe more than half. My TV is an mid-size SUV and I hate to have a generator with more than half tank of gasoline in it. it just feels unsafe not to mention the fume. So a few questions.

- is there an automatic pump that I can use to pump fuel out and into my TV's fuel tank?

- If a motored pump is unsafe(electricity and gasoline might not play well together), are there manual pump that are reasonably small and doesn't take forever to pump a gallon of fuel?

- Can I use the pump to transfer fuel from my TV to generator? I think the fuel tank of my TV is an ideal storage - it's safe, and I don't have to worry about fuel stabilizer either.

Thanks!

This may be a stupid response but thought I would throw it out there any way. I use a drill pump for water. I wonder if you could use that same thing to siphon the gas out? It’s super fast and beginner level to use. Not to mention super cheap so you could literally buy a new one every time of you wanted since it is not used very often.
reginac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Or,

You might consider a front mounted receiver hitch to carry the generator and a gas container, if it won't tip your axle weight over the limit.

Another thought: if you decide to drain the generator into the fuel tank - note that the Ford capless fuel set up requires a specific size of funnel to defeat the spring loaded flap that prevents fuel from leaking out of the vehicle gas tank. Or maybe a stiff enough small diameter hose would be better, so you don't have to manage a pump, hose and funnel all at once. Not capless? Not a problem.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:06 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshier View Post
You might consider a front mounted receiver hitch to carry the generator and a gas container, if it won't tip your axle weight over the limit.

Another thought: if you decide to drain the generator into the fuel tank - note that the Ford capless fuel set up requires a specific size of funnel to defeat the spring loaded flap that prevents fuel from leaking out of the vehicle gas tank. Or maybe a stiff enough small diameter hose would be better, so you don't have to manage a pump, hose and funnel all at once. Not capless? Not a problem.
Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

Since I am pretty inexperienced in RV/generator business, I will error on safe side - I am going to keep electrical devices away from gasoline, unless they are designed for that purpose.

I have considered A frame generator/container rack, but dropped the idea for container, as it's uncovered, exposed to direct sun, sounds very dangerous to me.

I am exploring pump(manual) as TV's fuel tank is the safest storage for gasoline, There are over a century engineering, hundreds of millions of day to day tests behind it. It would be a shame that if I can't take advantage of that.

Good point on TV fuel tank flap. I have a 2 gal red tank with a fairly long nozzle that stick into the opening, if I use a pump I think I can run the tube inside that nozzle to pass the flap.

Thanks again!
Old 09-30-2020, 09:58 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Mesquite , Nevada
I mounted a fuel pax gas can on the back of the propane Tank cover in a way that the weight is carried by the battery box. I always purchase ethanol free gasoline, no problems yet with gumming up. I start my generator every 4 weeks or so when not in regular use. I carefully strap the generator in the back of my SUV, surprisingly no odor problems. When we decide to trade to a pickup things will be more simple but this has worked well.
Ken G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:37 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Hovr, years ago we towed our SOB with a 4 Runner. I put the generator in the back tied up in a black garbage bag. We did this for a number of trips. No fumes and the danger element wasn't a big thing with me. Remember you and your family are sitting on top of a half empty gas tank in the TV.

I did not like the hassle and all the space it took up. I built a small frame to keep it in place and carried it inside the trailer until I got a Tundra. I placed it up front, on the floor, put it in a garbage bag and used the frame to keep it from moving around. It was still a bit of a hassle but I had it out of the TV.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:09 PM   #11
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
If you have a direct under the carburetor propane type conversion similar to US Carb's "Snorkel", there will not be a drop in power from the conversion to propane. It will simply just use a little more fuel generating the same level of output as on gasoline. Besides you will be amazed at how clean the engine will run and the oil never gets dirty. Besides propane is 117 octane. Unlike gasoline engines you run propane on the lean side of maximum RPM for max performance. Also, the conversion has a load block so you can adjust the air/fuel mixture when you go to altitude.
guskmg

yo
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:35 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
If you have a direct under the carburetor propane type conversion similar to US Carb's "Snorkel", there will not be a drop in power from the conversion to propane. It will simply just use a little more fuel generating the same level of output as on gasoline. Besides you will be amazed at how clean the engine will run and the oil never gets dirty. Besides propane is 117 octane. Unlike gasoline engines you run propane on the lean side of maximum RPM for max performance. Also, the conversion has a load block so you can adjust the air/fuel mixture when you go to altitude.
guskmg

yo

Thanks for the information, the only conversion kit that I can find (mine is a WEN 2350W) is here:
https://centuryfuelproducts.com/gene...56200i-df-8239

It says 'above carburetor' so I guess it's not the one you were referring to?