Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
peru , Indiana
Generator?

I am considering a generator purchase in the near future. Because I know little to nothing about them i hope some of you can give me some advice.
We would use it for maybe the heater, AC, fridge. while camping.
I c there are rv, inverter and other generators. Can anyone tell me which to look at, when do you run yours, how do they hook up to the rv and anything else i need to know that i did not ask?
Thank you,
shawna
Old 11-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
search

This is another HOT topic on the forums. If you put generator into the search here on the forums you will have LOTS to read.
Larry and I have two Honda EU2000s that we can run. We run them if we need to boondock. Hooked together they will run the AC. There is a receptacle on the generator where your shore line plugs in.
They are very quiet and economical on fuel (gasoline). And we can use them at home for emergencies if we need to. They are light enough to lift and carry. The next size up was a bit too heavy for lifting into the truck bed.
Good luck in your research. Welcome to a great community!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:01 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
We went with the Honda 3000i Handi. Also looked at the EU 2000 x 2. Cost was the issue as was the fact that I could lift the 3000. I do however like the fact that with the 2000 you can use one or both depending on the need. In either case you'll need to have an external fuel source to avoid having to refuel at the wrong times, particularly during the summer. Jack
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Loudruff X2. For the very same reasons.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:53 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' International CCD
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudruff View Post
This is another HOT topic on the forums. If you put generator into the search here on the forums you will have LOTS to read.
Larry and I have two Honda EU2000s that we can run. We run them if we need to boondock. Hooked together they will run the AC. There is a receptacle on the generator where your shore line plugs in.
They are very quiet and economical on fuel (gasoline). And we can use them at home for emergencies if we need to. They are light enough to lift and carry. The next size up was a bit too heavy for lifting into the truck bed.
Good luck in your research. Welcome to a great community!
Ditto.

Ed
eleighj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Generators are generally hooked up by just plugging the camper into the generator. I think you need and inverter generator. Basicaly after that generators come in 2 main classes: cheap and expensive. The expensive ones are quieter, maybe last longer, and packaged better for easy handling.
You need about a 3000 or 2, 2000 to run the AC. A 2000 will run everything else.
Lots of new, lower cost generators on the market since I bought mine and I have not looked at them. Honda and Yamaha are still awful good if you do not mind the paying the price, but there are generators for a good bit less that will certainly work.
I have a Honda 2000. I needed it to go on a caravan and it fit in the truck bed well. I carry it in the bed of the truck and run it on the tailgate so I won't have to lift it. I generally run it for 2 hours every couple of days to charge the batteries. I run pretty much off of batteries in between. If cost is a big consideration I would certainly look at the cheaper alternatives. You do not run a generator a whole lot. One reason I went with the Honda was to hedge my bet. If I ever really need to run the airconditioning I can purchase a second one on the spot almost anywhere in the country. I probably won't though.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
A coach (mo/ho) next to us had a diesel gen-set: about as quiet as I've ever heard. I wonder, do they make a portable diesel gen-set for you trailer guys?
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Sure, there are portable diesel gensets. But, as in all diesels, they are pretty heavy to tote around. And unless you're pulling with a diesel, you can't siphon fuel from the tow vehicle's tank.

Couple of comments to cygria - first, it's probably more economical (and certainly much quieter) to run the fridge on propane, and if by "heater" you mean the coach's furnace, that too needs only the fan and thermostat current from the batteries ... the heat's from propane. If you intend to run a generator to run an electric heater, you're working against the laws of thermodynamics and losing a bunch of energy. Propane is easier, and the ducted furnace will help keep your tanks from freezing in cold weather.

As to running the A/C, my 2400 watt Yamaha runs my A/C just fine - though I don't seem to do that any more. Depends some upon the size of the A/C unit, apparently, so YMMV. Good luck.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I recently purchased the honda 2000 and it's companion to run the AC etc. They have worked fine and are relatively quiet.

On a side note; it was recommended to me to put them away when you leave the campsite as they have tendency to be stolen.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote