Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2007, 02:10 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
tustin , California
Run your generator

Hello all,

I love my Honda 2000, but I made the mistake of not starting it up every month or so, so into the Honda dealer it went, I was told that the carb needed to be cleaned out, the new gas we are being sold does not like to sit very long, gums up.
Ok I thought not to bad, then the phone call telling me the exhaust valve was also stuck open. So I learned my lession, use some type of fuel stabalizer and start that sucker up for about 5 mins every couple of months.
Hope this helps keep your gen out of the shop.
terrygaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:23 PM   #22
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Like any machine it needs to be used or properly stored.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:24 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Exactly

We bought a Honda 2000 for $856 here in Tempe. When we went on a summer tour to North Rim, Bryce, Zion and Monument Valley, we needed two. I borowed a neighbor's 2000 (nice guy) and just left them in the back of the TV (chained down) to run the AC and other stuff - including my wife's expresso brewer. It was HOT and the generators and AC on the twink made it bearable. Without them it would have been pretty miserable.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:10 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Concord , North Carolina
The Honda or the Yamaha are both good choices and you can plug in a lot and it will still charge the batteries. Both generators should come with an auxliary charging cord just for batteries but they will charge through the inverter any way. I use a Coleman which is identical to the honda and bought it a salvage sale for $350 because it was dented. May pay you look around at salvage stores and the like.
solitairenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:56 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Richardson , Texas
A couple of years or so ago, I posted some pics. of how I connect a 5 gallon gas can to my Honda 2000s. 4/5 gallons will run one for days. I also carry a 10 amp batter charger and run it off the gen. to get a faster charge on the house battery when needed. One 2000 will run just about everything. I put a hard start kit in my 11k a/c and one gen will run it most of the time if you don't load it down with other things. Of course, two is a better set up. When I run the a/c with both hooked together, they just loaf along. When tied together and running the a/c, they run at about 3300 rpm vs. about 42oo rpm on just one. Two are still very easy on fuel.
'01 Yamaha Raptor ATV
'07 Yamaha Rhino ATV
2 burgler alarms: Rotweiller and Shepherd
"If you step down to get in, you have to step up to get out"
Raptorrider2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:49 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Can a Honda be run while out in the elements? Does the outer case protect it from rain?
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:33 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Richardson , Texas
I have run mine in the rain seveal times. The first time I was caught out in a heavy rain, I was camped on pavement and during the night i came a downpour. I went to check on it and the wate was ankle deep. The area we had set up in was a low spot. It was just purring like a kitten. I was concerned about even touchhing it while standing in water. My big concern was that the water would get deep enough to get into the outlets and short out. A couple of times, I have made a deflector out of cardboard to keep the water off of the front of the control panel. The case is not sealed as such. I have had mine apart down to the bare frame and the electronics seem to be very well sealed in the control panel. I have since run it in the rain but put it up on something to keep it out of standing water. It is to tall to put under the trailer.
'01 Yamaha Raptor ATV
'07 Yamaha Rhino ATV
Old 08-18-2008, 04:18 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Raptorrider2001,
That is good to hear. I haven't purchased a generator yet but have just been reading a lot about other peoples experiences with them before I take the plunge. I know that eventually I would be using it(them) at night and the summer downpour would happen. Using a small tent is an ideal way to protect them as someone else mentioned earlier but I can see that that solution is not always possible.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:12 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Richardson , Texas
The small tent would concern me because of the exhaust fumes. I am sure there are several good gens. out there but I don't think you can beat the Honda. I was looking this afternoon and I have 678 hours on one and 291 on the other one. I have a lot more time on them running as singles than hooked together. Unless I need the A/C, I just run one, and that is mainly to keep the batteries up and to run the tv at night and occasionally, the microwave.
'01 Yamaha Raptor ATV
'07 Yamaha Rhino ATV
Old 08-19-2008, 01:47 PM   #30
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up This is how we do it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorrider2001 View Post
The small tent would concern me because of the exhaust fumes.
Small three person tent. Been using it since we got the 2000 four seasons ago. Glued a small square of innertube to the floor of the tent and attached two copper ground straps to the Honda. An 8 inch nail with a flat washer is punched thru the rubber to ground the Gen. Have used it during some pretty severe storms without any problems.

I personally would not use it at all if not protected from the weather.

p.s. keeps prying eyes away also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PISECO LAKE CAMPING JULY 2008 087.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	65909   Click image for larger version

Name:	PISECO LAKE CAMPING JULY 2008 140.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	618.1 KB
ID:	65910  

Old 08-19-2008, 02:42 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
When we are boondocking we carry a Yamaha 3000 with a surge on it. It does more than take care of our needs. Haven't had any problems with bad weather but the biggest problem has been operator error. When you are through using the generator make sure you use all of the gas that is in the unit because if you let it set for 6 months you need to drain the gas before putting fresh gas in it. We will be attening the Balloon Festival this year and a generator is a MUST.

Bob
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:48 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
We use a Honda 3000, it has served us well for about six years. What you have read about gas going bad is very true. Whenever we are done with the generator, I turn the gas valve off and let the unit run until it dies, then I add a little additive made for storing gas. Ideally I would let it run until all of the gas is gone, but since they run for such a long time it can take a while.

On another note, if you are boondocking and relying on the generator to recharge your batteries it is helpful to have a Trimetric 2020 or similar battery monitor that will tell you the state of charge of the battery, how many amps are being supplied or drawn out and the percentage from full charge. The newer trailers are power hogs and it doesn't take anytime at all to draw the batteries down so low that it takes forever to recharge them going through the factory converter/charger. As an example, last week in Colorado I ran our batteries down to 85%. I hooked up the generator to recharge the batteries the next morning and after 5 hours we were only at 93%. According to the meter, the most the factory converter/charger would put back into the batteries was 1.5 amps - essentially a trickle charge. And if you are running any DC powered fixtures, you can wind up taking more power out of the batteries than what is being supplied to recharge them. Just turning on the main overhead lights in a CCD would drain the batteries even though the generator is hooked up and running.

Based on that, like someone else wrote above, it is good to have either the optional 12 volt charging cord that plugs directly into the generator and then attaches to the batteries, or bring along a battery charger so that you can have a higher rate of charge when needed. Personally I plan to change out the stock charger portion going with a Xantrex three stage charger. The Intellipower 9100 or 9200 with the Charge Wizard would also be a good way to go.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

I have a Yamaha 2400i and it runs the A/C on my Bambi with no problem. I think the A/C is 11,000 BTU. I got my Yahama in Summerville, WV and they converted it to run on propane. It's a Yamaha authorized conversion and has a full warranty.
hobiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
Can a Honda be run while out in the elements? Does the outer case protect it from rain?
I've contemplated making a tent frame out of PVC pipe and stake a small tarp over the top to form a pup tent with open ends. This would keep dew and any rain off the my Yamaha EF3000iSEB. The pipe would fit tightly into each fitting and would not be glued so that I could take it down in transit. I have also thought about finding a large marine cooler that is shot, cut the bottom out of it and then place it over the generator when it is not running. Might keep thieves away unless they are looking for a marine cooler.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:54 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Richardson , Texas
I put a cargo carrier on the front of my truck with the idea of carrying my 2 Honda gens. Seveal on this site thought it was a bad idea because of the danger of a front end collision and having fuel on the front. My main concern was getting them stolen. I found a storage box at Walmart for $28 that I think I am going to use. The dimensions are such that one of them would fit. It has a place to put a couple of locks but probably will not keep anyone out. I think it was 25"x20"x17". This would work as a rain shelter also with a little venting. I just want to be able to lock them while I am using them. The last two years we have spent several weeks in Az. on BLM land and gen. theft is always a problem. Year before last, an airstreamer just 50 yds. from us had his stolen one night. I shut mine off and put them in the trailer at night but would like to find a way around this. I guess if they want it, they will find a way. I just wish my camper insurance would cover them. I was told I had to claim them on my home owner insurance and my duductable is so large, I would like to find another way to insure them.
'01 Yamaha Raptor ATV
'07 Yamaha Rhino ATV
Old 09-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #36
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
For those that have done LP conversion; doesn't this limit the (practical) distance you can place the genny from the AS? (Noise factor)

Thanx, Bill
Old 09-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

Richardson , Texas
I use mine for lots of different things and don't want to be tied to a propane tank. Propane is very clean burning and the little gen should last forever though.
'01 Yamaha Raptor ATV
'07 Yamaha Rhino ATV
Old 09-01-2008, 07:37 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
For those that have done LP conversion; doesn't this limit the (practical) distance you can place the genny from the AS? (Noise factor)

Thanx, Bill
I use 2 of the 10' hoses with quick release fittings (from Lowes BBQ dept.) with my Yamaha 2400 without any problem.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:53 PM   #39
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I have been using my Yamaha 2400is (primary power source 12 out of the last 18 months or so). It is happy in all weathers including rain and ice. The nylon cover is on when not in use.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:00 PM   #40
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Separate tank..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post

Thanx, Bill
This tank has run the 2000 for 27hrs. When it runs out, start it on petrol, and get a re-fill. It does run cooler and with a lot less exhaust smell.

Check post #30. The length of our electrical is the only distance restriction. The owners manual warns against running in wet conditions, a three person tent works great for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PROPANE CONVERSION, HONDA 2000 006.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	66698   Click image for larger version

Name:	PROPANE CONVERSION, HONDA 2000 001.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	66699