Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Mooresville , North Carolina
Generator 20 amp fuse keeps blowing

I recently purchased a Yamaha 6300 inverter generator to power my 31 ft. Sovereign. I run power from my garage (20 amp fuse) to the airstream through a combination of 30 amp extension cords and a 20 ft. heavy duty extension cord. I can run pretty much anything I want and have had no problem with the fuse blowing. When I plug just the power cord from the airstream (using an adapter to get the proper plug design) into the 120 volt, 20 amp outlet on the generator and have nothing turned on in the airstream, the fuse trips on the generator. Anyone have a suggestion on what may be causing the problem.
Thanks,
John
jtsanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, maybe a picture of your generator and the adapter might help. If, on your generator, the dual 20 amp outlets are wired separately, you can't use an adapter that connects the two of them together. I use an Orange adapter that connects my my dual outlets, on my Yamaha 2400 with no problems; This might not work on yours.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Does the generator have a GFIC outlet on it? Is that what is tripping? I doubt it has a "fuse" which requires replacement. It may have a circuit breaker though, which trips and is reset. If it is a new generator, look in the manual to see what it has, a GFIC, or a normal Circuit Breaker.

Plug an electric heater into the Generator and see what happens. If it works, the generator is OK most likely, and some other issue is occurring.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, maybe a picture of your generator and the adapter might help. If, on your generator, the dual 20 amp outlets are wired separately, you can't use an adapter that connects the two of them together. I use an Orange adapter that connects my my dual outlets, on my Yamaha 2400 with no problems; This might not work on yours.
Good call, I had forgot that some generators do that, and some adaptors will not work with them.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
It looks from Yamaha's photos of the panel on that generator like the 20A plugs are protected by a GFCI. It may be that idroba's suggestion that it's an issue with the GFCI is correct. It may also be that there's a heavy initial load from the converter or something that the house breaker tolerates long enough for it to drop off, and the generator's breaker opens immediately.

I have to ask why you're not using the 30A output on the generator, though. Just don't have the twist-lock to 30A RV adapter?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Mooresville , North Carolina
Thanks

Thanks for the comments. I realized it is does have a GFCI outlet and that is causing the problems. I'll just get the adapters and use the 30 amp. outlets.
jtsanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
GFCI nuisance trips are almost always caused by a short between neutral and ground in the trailer somewhere. The first place to check is the breaker panel, where someone might have put in a bonding screw. If so, remove it.