Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2021, 08:08 AM   #1

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Fuel for Honda Generators

We have three Honda Generators. We have an EU 3000 is and a pair of
EU 2000 i's. We have been using them for a number of years with Lucy. They have all gotten to running rough, and I decided that it was time to have them professionally tuned and serviced. I took them to Southern Power Works in DeFuniak Springs, Florida. Their technicians seem to be quite competent and the company has an excellent reputation.

I have always used regular unleaded gasoline to fuel our generators. While I was dropping the Generators off yesterday, I asked about what type of fuel is best for these units. I was told by the head technician that he recommends non-ethanol gasoline, especially if the generators are not run on a regular basis. He said that the regular unleaded gasoline has a tendency to gum-up the carburetor and fuel lines over time.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:15 AM   #2
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I have had that experience as well. Non-ethanol is especially important for boat engines as well, as most components from fuel pumps to gas lines are hard (and expensive) to get to.

When I do use regular gas, I pour in some Sta-bil also if I do not expect to use all the gas at once.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Ethanol is a disaster. The premise is, "How would you like to pay more for gas that has less power and may damage rubber seals?"
It's a bone for the corn farmers.
I try to find ethanol free gas far all my small engines. Not always possible, but here WA-WA has it.
As far as rough running, I've heard good things about Sea Foam additive.

I noticed Nascar promotes ethanol free gas in it's race fuel. So I asked a Nascar official, "If ethanol gives you less power and therefore worse gas mileage, why does Nascar promote it?"
His answer, "$30 million dollars."
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:18 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Hi Brian...

Yes, I use E-free in everything. (we have a station 1mi away.
Marinas are a good source.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 05-27-2021, 08:19 AM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I would agree. While on a much smaller basis my local lawn mower dealer recommends using the non leaded premixed two cycle gas for my string trimmer that I bought there new. I've been using it 3 years and it runs just great with no starting issue no any fuel related problems. I'm a believer.

My portable Yamaha generator is tri-fueled and other than it's first six hours of use for break in has always run on propane. Much cleaner burning and as a bonus, propane never goes bad.

While ethanol has beneficial merits, it's not good when sitting in tanks on infrequently run motors where higher humidity is present.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:08 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

abbotsford , British Columbia
Look for a fuel subtitute called Aspen and put it in there when they are going to be stored for awhile, run it through them for a couple of minutes. You can remove it and reuse it again after. It is good fro 3-4 years. Its a bit pricey, but better than just adding fuel stabilizer. The Honda dealer put me onto this stuff.

https://smallmdistribution.com/aboutaspen.html
telcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:18 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

So what's really going on here?

Ethanol will pull moisture out of the air. Gasoline will not do that to any real degree. One of the wonders of modern technology are sensors that look at the amount of water in an ethanol based fuel. If you are horribly unlucky, you just might run into one I designed "back in the day".

For a variety of reasons, completely keeping fuel and air from getting together is difficult. There will be contact and water will head into the ethanol. How fast this happens is very much a "that depends" sort of thing.

If you get more than a few percent water into the fuel, it's not going to work very well.

Another fun fact:

Water does get into very normal gasoline storage tanks. It does not combine with normal gasoline. It simply drops to the bottom of the tank and sits there. There are rare circumstances that *will* get things going and put that water into your gas tank. Not a good thing ....

Propane has neither ethanol nor water in it ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:29 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
Here in Michigan, the "Recreational Fuel" pumps are the only ones I used for non-automobiles. On the water, it's "Marine Gasoline". Either way, I've noticed that good quality non-ethanol fuel makes a big difference in these applications.
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:41 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
That is the primary reason I converted my EU200 to propane.
Sgilcrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:52 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
I'm 100% in favor of the SeaFoam additive like Mollysdad. I put it in my stored gas as well as in the gas tanks of generators, mowers and trimmers. My Honda 5000 watt generator starts on first or second pull all the time. The Honda 2000 watt is not so easy to start, but will start reliably. I've got 2 Kubota diesel machines that I add SeaFoam to as well. It seems to help them stay in good condition. I think it prevents gum build-up in the jets and injectors. I also don't run ethanol in these small engines.

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:09 AM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Ethanol-free fuel is ideal, but if that's not available, just make a point to run the generator dry and you'll have little or no issues from using regular unleaded. My older Yamaha 3000iSEB has an actual fuel valve, so I always shut it down by turning off the fuel valve and letting it burn off what's already in the carburetor. My newer 2ks shut off the engine and the fuel at the same time... now that they're out of warranty I'm thinking of modifying that so I can burn the fuel out of the carbs there as well, but I try to always run them dry at least at the end of a trip when I'm going to store them for a while.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:22 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boise , Idaho
[Etahnol fuel has 12% less btu’s so one has to go to the gas station more often . More gasoline needs to be refined and in turn requires more energy. Only the farmers benefit. I am a mechanic and have repaired many a fuel systems due to ethanol related issues. I run 110 octane race fuel in my small motors, is stable for a long time. QUOTE=jcanavera;2498563]I would agree. While on a much smaller basis my local lawn mower dealer recommends using the non leaded premixed two cycle gas for my string trimmer that I bought there new. I've been using it 3 years and it runs just great with no starting issue no any fuel related problems. I'm a believer.

My portable Yamaha generator is tri-fueled and other than it's first six hours of use for break in has always run on propane. Much cleaner burning and as a bonus, propane never goes bad.

While ethanol has beneficial merits, it's not good when sitting in tanks on infrequently run motors where higher humidity is present.

Jack[/QUOTE]
mtbmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Hate Ethanol, treat all gas we use.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:32 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
PERRY , UT
I use no ethanol gas in everything but my car or truck

I would never put gasoline with ethanol into my boat, lawnmower, generator etc. The biggest problem is that ethanol attracts water and phase separation results. This is a problem in wet environments or uses where you may store gas for longer times, intermittent uses. In a car or truck that is driven regularly it is much less likely to be a problem.

You can find ethanol free gas most places, but it sometimes takes research. Here in landlocked and arid Utah I find that about 1 service station in 20 has it, easier to find in Florida or places with lots of boats. Costs a bit more, but is well worth it.

I had to get towed in from an offshore fishing trip once thanks to ethanol in gas. Also cost a bunch to get the separated gas cleaned out of the fuel tank and engine. Learned my lesson the hard way.

Lots of info on the net about this, here are a few links to examples that maybe helpful:

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvis...nol-Fuel-Myths
https://www.husqvarna.com/us/discove...nol-free-fuel/
https://www.chicagotribune.com/sns-2...529-story.html
alligatorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:37 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Always have used ethanol-free for the Honda 2000. No issues so far.
Pat.Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:49 AM   #16

Woodside , California
Converted 2 Honda 2000's to propane and love it.

Honda EU2000i Propane, Natural Gas & Gasoline Generator ...https://www.hutchmountain.com
Conversion kit easy to self install and no gumming of carburetor or gas lines due to old gas. Turn off propane tank, run til quits and you're ready for next time. Would never go back to gas in these generators.
michelsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:56 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
I use non ethanol premium fuel in my generators and lawn mower.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 11:36 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenflag View Post
I use non ethanol premium fuel in my generators and lawn mower.
You bring up a good point, Premium.
What makes Premium cost more is the additives to prevent "Knocking" or pre-detonation. the additives increase the 'octane', but that doesn't translate to more efficiency.
Premium is needed in engines with a high compression ratio, since these are the ones prone to knocking.
My Tundra always gets 87 octane pump gas. It's never baulked or rattled.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 11:39 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Airstream - Other
Port Orchard , Washington
I am with all the rest. I have used non-ethanol in everything except cars and trucks for the last for years. I have had no problems since I switched even with lawn equipment that sits for long periods of time.
inthralled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 11:50 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
Mechanic In A Bottle has a good reputation.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote