Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2019, 09:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Question Factory Zamp Front Port Solar Max Power?

Our '19 came with factory solar.......yes on purpose....

Does anyone know that maximum power for the front Zamp connection near battery box is for a suitcase that can attach to it?

I was looking at this from zamp:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...KIKX0DER&psc=1

We have two panels on the roof from factory and looking to add.....will this work as expected?

I searched here can couldn't find a power limit spec anywhere. Will also check user manual next, but figured experience is important here due to the staggering cost.

Thanks.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:40 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
2019 27' International
Cheyenne , Wyoming
I would recommend calling the folks at Zamp. They are always helpful and can answer your questions.
Wyo Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
I doubt any suitcase would be too high of a wattage. If you want to feel confident e-mail Zamp via their site. They have a speedy response time and great customer service.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:16 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

The solar panels will need a charge controller which will determine the battery voltage and how much amperage it will provide to the batteries with the various charge stages; bulk, absorb and float.
So the only limiter her is the wire size and since you probably have two 80ah AGM batteries 100 to 200 watts would be max you will "need."
Don't know if this answers your question, but as long as the charge controller is working properly you cannot over charge the batteries.
lzhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:29 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Take a look at the wire gauge on your particular setup. Since it's AS, there is no guarantee of what you have. The connector is good to 20 to 30A depending on how crazy you get. The wire is likely in the 10 to 12 AWG range, again 20 to 30A. If yours is like mine, there *is* a fuse in the line. The rating on that fuse should be considered the max number.

Since it's 12V, that all comes out to 240 to 360W. I'd stick to the low end of that range. (I believe my fuse is 20A).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Well I'm getting confusing feedback......not from you folks, but from AS and Zamp.

I inquired with AS and showed them the panel I linked above.....they are saying it won't work and I should buy a 90W panel (from them of course) as the two systems won't "work well together" or something to that effect.

I have Zamp tell me what uncle_bob mentioned about it being good to 30 amps depending on wire gauge (expected)....Zamp mentioned that because the existing and the suitcase both have their own power management....I'll see some fluctuation on the factory panel regarding amps etc because both factory and suitcase will be determining "can I charge?" but said that is normal.

I'm inclined to agree with Zamp....but it annoys me that I can't get a straight answer out of AS.....

If it weren't so much money, it would be a nothing burger, just don't want to drop a grand and be wrong.

Hence why I was hoping that someone may have actually hooked up something this "large" in power and report back if it worked with factory solar setup (which is Zamp anyway) as expected.

While we don't "need" large power reserves, I know in the future we will be trying more remote stuff, so I am gearing up!

kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:21 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

What will indeed happen most of the time is that one or the other solar gizmo will "take over". At that point you will only get power from one system. That's just how it goes. Indeed adding another panel on the roof is the better way to do things. Then you eliminate the take over problem.

Bob
Old 10-04-2019, 09:55 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
I use a 200w renogy suitcase and plug into the zamp plug no problem. Had to reverse the wiring due to zamps set up but other then that it’s all systems go.

Will Prowse a solar guru on YouTube shows that you can connect multiple solar sources to one battery with different charge controllers and it all works out. The solar charge controllers don’t compete with each other as evidenced by a watt meter during the test. Do consider the renogy as it’s considerably less expensive. All you have to do is reverse the polarity from the zamp plug to the battery it’s super simple. I’ve seen 14 amps in good sun. This renogy suitcase is my only solar I don’t have roof, solar and it has its own charge controller.
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:51 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanusport View Post
I use a 200w renogy suitcase and plug into the zamp plug no problem. Had to reverse the wiring due to zamps set up but other then that it’s all systems go.

Will Prowse a solar guru on YouTube shows that you can connect multiple solar sources to one battery with different charge controllers and it all works out. The solar charge controllers don’t compete with each other as evidenced by a watt meter during the test. Do consider the renogy as it’s considerably less expensive. All you have to do is reverse the polarity from the zamp plug to the battery it’s super simple. I’ve seen 14 amps in good sun. This renogy suitcase is my only solar I don’t have roof, solar and it has its own charge controller.
Hi

If you watch the video, they don't run it long enough to show the one controller taking over ....

Bob
Old 10-05-2019, 09:22 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If you watch the video, they don't run it long enough to show the one controller taking over ....

Bob
I see what your saying but I’ll go with Will’s advice I’m thinking he really knows is stuff. He makes his living doing solar and you and I are two dudes on the inter web named Kanusport and uncle bob

For others that are interested here’s the video we are talking about.
https://youtu.be/rSj6-JSxoD4
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:15 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanusport View Post
I see what your saying but I’ll go with Will’s advice I’m thinking he really knows is stuff. He makes his living doing solar and you and I are two dudes on the inter web named Kanusport and uncle bob

For others that are interested here’s the video we are talking about.
https://youtu.be/rSj6-JSxoD4
Hi

There is zero connection between "knowing your stuff" and making a YouTube video. There are literally thousands of examples of that ....

Even more true when the objective of the video is to sell you something. They are *not* going to go into the negatives when they are doing that.

Bob