Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2017, 01:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Extended Fuel for Honda 2000s

A friend sent me the following from another forum...about how to extend your fuel capacity for a Honda 2000 generator. I have used Hondas for years and have never heard of this before...maybe I just overlooked it. Even if I did, it's very interesting and worth a share! The blinking light hour-indicator was news to me as well. ~TBRich

"Hiya guys, l used to be a Honda mechanic. I thought l might share something many people dont know about the EU2000i Honda Generator.
All you need to do is drill & tap the vent hole on the gas cap to accept a 5/16 x1/8 barb connector. Then run fuel line into Any other gas can. Most small generators have a gravity fuel system. The Honda's tank is on the side, this design helps keep the unit compact, lt has its own fuel pump. That will suck the gas right out of your auxiliary tank.
Honda sells a cap with the fitting in it already, $45! Many dealers dont even know it exsists. Honda offers an extended run kit for several hundred dollars, special order.
Also, that little green light that glows when the unit is running, its actually an hour meter, watch that light on start up. The number of times it blinks is how many 100hrs the generator has on it. 2 blinks= 200 hrs.

I saw this on a forum today and thought of you:
Hiya guys, l used to be a Honda mechanic. I thought l might share something many people dont know about the EU2000i Honda Generator.
All you need to do is drill & tap the vent hole on the gas cap to accept a 5/16 x1/8 barb connector. Then run fuel line into Any other gas can. Most small generators have a gravity fuel system. The Honda's tank is on the side, this design helps keep the unit compact, lt has its own fuel pump. That will suck the gas right out of your auxiliary tank.
Honda sells a cap with the fitting in it already, $45! Many dealers dont even know it exsists. Honda offers an extended run kit for several hundred dollars, special order.
Also, that little green light that glows when the unit is running, its actually an hour meter, watch that light on start up. The number of times it blinks is how many 100hrs the generator has on it. 2 blinks= 200 hrs."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Extended Fuel_Sm.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	286852  
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Oops.. I don't know how that double posting happened, but if a Moderator could clean it up and delete the duplicate information, I'd appreciate it...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Thanks TBRich for an "Ah Ha" moment. We carry a Honda 1000 for our 22' and I suspect it would work the same provided the vent valve on the gas cap is closed. I need to go check out the LED next.

Thanks for the info,

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Here's a video I found a year or so ago. It improves on the barb fitting by allowing the vent/seal function to still work.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Relative to the total overall cost of owning and traveling with an Airstream, the cost of converting to propane-fueled generators seems quite minor. Eliminating the risk of a gasoline fire/explosion alone makes the choice worthwhile IMO.

We are carrying around a large supply of propane.

Why not use it and ditch the gas?

We got a Yamaha 1000 last year from US Carburetion and it has worked out great for charging the batteries and running the fridge.

Happy Trails,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
A consideration is that a 30# propane tank, filled to the 80% level to allow for expansion contains 24 gallons of propane which is equivalent to 24x0.236= 5.66 gallons of gasoline. I would have done the extended tank conversion when I had a gasoline TV but now that I have a diesel I did the propane conversion, actually the tri-fuel conversion, so if I get in a bind I can use gasoline. I really like the Genconnex conversion with its internal regulator but I wanted to retain the capability to use gasoline.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
BTW, this does not work with the Honda eu3000is because that unit has a gravity fed fuel tank and not a fuel pump.
There are aftermarket setups for the popular 2000 using a cap, fuel line and 6 gal. tank normally used for an outboard motor.
That should run the 2000 forever!
There's also a unit with a 6 gal. tank, a "Y" and two fuel lines and gas caps so if you have the companion generator, you can still fuel both.
https://www.amazon.com/IPI-Industrie...rnal+fuel+tank

I'll also mention that the eu3000 is does not have the handy flashing LED to indicate number of hours, either. Please, Honda!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
This is what I used

I have been using this system for almost 3 years:
https://www.amazon.com/IPI-Industrie...ended+Run+Tank

Not exactly cheap, but reliable and plug and play. It comes with separate caps to use with this system. Unless you run it dry, the 6 gal. tank feeds the 1 gal. tanks on the Hondas. So when I fill up, all I need to do is to fill the BERG 6 gallon tank, instead of it and the 2 Hondas, as they are usually full as they are feeding from the extended tank. It is much easier to fill the larger opening on the BERG tank as it has a wider mouth than the Hondas.
Not ready for the propane conversion, as I used the Hondas at home for power outages to run a few things until power is restored, or using electric power tools at our home when too far for extension cords.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:45 PM   #9
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I too run Yamaha converted by US Carburation. I believe there new Snorkel Tti-fuel conversion sells for around $175+-. It sure is a simple solution for boondocking especially if combined with solar.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:47 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
no way a 30 lb of propane is 24 gal. propane ways 4.2 lb /gal
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:16 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
A friend sent me the following from another forum...about how to extend your fuel capacity for a Honda 2000 generator. I have used Hondas for years and have never heard of this before...maybe I just overlooked it. Even if I did, it's very interesting and worth a share! The blinking light hour-indicator was news to me as well. ~TBRich

"Hiya guys, l used to be a Honda mechanic. I thought l might share something many people dont know about the EU2000i Honda Generator.
Honda sells a cap with the fitting in it already, $45! Many dealers dont even know it exists. Honda offers an extended run kit for several hundred dollars, special order.
Also, that little green light that glows when the unit is running, its actually an hour meter, watch that light on start up. The number of times it blinks is how many 100hrs the generator has on it. 2 blinks= 200 hrs.

I saw this on a forum today and thought of you:
Hiya guys, l used to be a Honda mechanic. I thought l might share something many people don't know about the EU2000i Honda Generator.
Also, that little green light that glows when the unit is running, its actually an hour meter, watch that light on start up. The number of times it blinks is how many 100hrs the generator has on it. 2 blinks= 200 hrs."

I can add to that. I have a pair of Honda generators (a 2000 and a 2000i) and I bought gas caps for both from an online vendor. They are beautifully machined and have threads for a marine tank connector on the top. I have a 6 gallon marine fuel tank and built a split hose that feeds both generators. I connected it when the tanks were almost empty, and it runs for a couple of days even with a load. No more night time refueling! When done, I had two full fuel tanks, since the fuel pumps pulled fuel from the marine tank as they ran. The pair with the sync cable will run my AC and toaster or AC and Kuerig etc. It keeps me from refilling all the time. Since it works for two, I suppose it would run even longer on a single.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:51 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Alpharetta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Nope. Honda does NOT sell a fuel cap with an fitting for an external tank, nor does Honda sell an 'extended run kit' either. There are third-party outfits that do sell these items, but none are actual Honda parts. Honda does not recommend making any modifications to your Honda generator, including the use of an external tank.

Related, I can also tell you if you do modify your Honda generator, you will NOT automatically 'void' your warranty. That said, if your modifications cause any type or problem, failure, etc. directly related to the modifications, Honda will usually decline to pay for repairs under the warranty terms.

Example: If you fit a non-Honda fuel cap to your generator and then it won't start and run properly, Honda is not going to pay a dealer to diagnose and repair the unit under warranty when it is clear the problem was due to the modifications. However, if you fit a non-Honda fuel cap and the Eco-Throttle switch fails, you can bet the cap had nothing to do with the switch failure, so it would be repaired under warranty.

Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

robert@honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140818_114932_546.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	287166

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote