RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-15-2020, 08:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
Jess_Pizz's Avatar
 
2021 25' Flying Cloud
St. Petersburg , FL
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 29
Do I need a 50 Amp Generator?

Hi Y'all,
I recently purchased a 2021 flying cloud 25FB with 2 air conditioners which means that our cloud will be 50 Amp. I included a solar package with my order but I also want to add a generator.

I think the Cummins Onan RV QG 5500 LP - 5.5HGJAB-1119 - 5.5kW RV Generator LP would work as it says that it runs two 13,500 BTU AC units w/ 1100 additional watts available BUT is listed with 30A and 20A breakers. Do i need a 50 amp? Or will this work?


See here for more specs: https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Cummins-Onan-RV-QG-5500-LP/p6316.html

Thank you so so much for any help! I am at a complete loss here!
Jess_Pizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,458
Blog Entries: 13
Do I need a 50 Amp Generator?

Standard 50amp service is TWO legs of 50 amps @ 120VAC so 12000 watts (12Kw). That is one big, honking generator.

Where are you going to carry it? What fuel?

99% of the time, you will not need the 2nd air conditioner (unless you plan to summer in Tucson...).

You might consider a dual fuel (gasoline or propane) generator in the 3500 watt range. Maybe install an easy start system on one A/C and carry on...

Just my 2 cents (and worth about that)
__________________
new (usually dirty) Nissan Titan XD (hardly paid for)
Middle-aged Safari SE
Young, lovely bride
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #3
Is it January yet?
 
jaybauman's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 432
Something smaller can also give you what you want. A single Honda eu2200i will run 1 AC unit. Two of these gennies can be tied in parallel and run 2 AC units. These things are only about 50lbs each and can fit in small places for storage and/or transport.

I've converted mine to run on propane gas, so I just plug in to the gas port on the front of my trailer. I have also installed MicroAir Easy Starts on my AC units to make it a bit easier on the generators.
__________________
2019 Flying Cloud 30FBB
Bunkhouse is sold...something more "classical" on order!
2020 GMC 3500HD Duramax AT4
ProPride 3P w/ 1400 lb. spring bars
jaybauman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:21 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
 
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 59
That's a LOT of generator. And for my $.02 it's a LOT more than you need for the job. That looks like a generator that would be built in to a class A motorhome. There's lots of info on the forum regarding generators. We have two 2200 watt inverter generators that handle our AC and anything else we could need. There are many brands available. Do you plan to be boondocking in the south in 100 degree temps? If not, you may find you don't need both ACs to run at the same time.
McStreamy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
Mollysdad's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5,136
Blog Entries: 1
That generator you list is designed for a large fifth wheel where's there's no fuel other than propane.
Normally, I'm in the "more is more" camp, but that's too much.
You will use the generator less than you think. If you stop at RV parks you'll have power.
I'm very happy with a Honda EU3000is, but if you want bigger there a Honda 7000.
Next you'll want to decide where it's going to live. The one you posted is too big to move. My Honda is difficult to move at 150 lbs.
The 2200's are easy to move, but have a tiny gas tank and you'll be modifying stuff to run on 20 amps.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,670
Blog Entries: 1
No, you do not need nor do I think you can buy a portable generator large enough to replace a 50 amp RV outlet. Nor do I think a trailer ever draws that much power.

What most people do when camping without hooks is to just use less power. Run the HW heater and the fridge on propane. Heat with propane. Do not run any other appliance while the AC is running. That sort of thing.

I have a 30 amp trailer and we run a Honda 2000 but it will just run one thing at a time pretty much. Have ti shut the AC off to run the microwave.

My guess is that you will be well served with a 3000-3500 or so watt generator and run the trailer on a 30 to 50 connector. 1 AC or the microwave or a hair dryer at the time.

I would look at an electric start Honda 3500 if you have a truck bed to carry and run it in. If you a closed TV like a van or a SUV I would look at 2 Honda 2200's or learn how to get buy with 1 of them.

A used Honda 2200 would be easy to resell so it would not cost too much to buy a mew one and try it and sell it if it is not sufficient for your use.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:49 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
2016 30' Classic
Rockbridge Baths , Virginia
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 35
All of the previous post have more than adequately covered your question as to 30 amp vs 50 amp genset requirements. The only thing I can add is that I recently took delivery of a 2020 Flying Cloud with dual a/c's and opted for the Westinghouse IGen 4500. This unit is actually made by Onan and is identical in all respects but color. (Blue vs Green) The output is 4500 watts peak and 3700 watts running which will take care of all your 30 amp needs. I was unable to find the Onan unit anywhere and found the Westinghouse on Amazon for $100+ less. Hope this helps.
SC RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
Mollysdad's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5,136
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I would look at an electric start Honda 3500 if you have a truck bed to carry and run it in.
I'm not aware of a Honda 3500 inverter generator.
The one shown on Amazon is the Harbor Freight Predator, while the Honda 3500 is an open construction generator, not suitable for RV use.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,670
Blog Entries: 1
Sorry. Memory faulty. A 3000 then.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

 
2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8,441
Do I need a 50 Amp Generator?

Champion makes a 3400 watt dual fuel inverter generator that is very quiet. Runs all the loads in my 30 amp airstream easily on propane. Iíve never run it on gasoline to keep the carb clean and odor free.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4730.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	583.7 KB
ID:	381014

Running air conditioning at just a bit above idle. Note that the generator is very quiet in this picture.... Iíve adapted it to run directly from the 3/8 inch quick connect I added to the A-frame area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4577.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	381015
__________________
Rich, KE4GNK/AE, Overkill Engineering Dept.
'The Silver HamShack' ('07 International 22FB CCD 75th Anniversary)
Multiple Yaesu Ham Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch, Prodigy P2 controller.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Al and Missy's Avatar

 
2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,163
50A service assumes that the two 120 volt legs are out of phase. What this means is that the neutral current never exceeds 50A and the wiring is sized for that. There are all kinds of configurations that you could use to provide power to both legs of the 50A service but unless you are driving the trailer with 120/240 volts you have to be careful not to exceed 50A total neutral current. 6000 watts of total generator power would be the limit.
__________________
ďYou cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"
Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO WBCCI 1322
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
Piggy Bank's Avatar
 
2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,693
My 2 cents.

Unless you plan to camp off grid in the South, you probably don't need a generator capable of running both AC units.

The beauty of living in Capitalist America is that if there is a consumer need, there will usually be a provider to meet that need.

Any place you will want to camp that is warm and humid enough that AC is needed, will probably have available electric for you to run the AC.

We live in the humid midwest and everyplace we camp has electric. When we camp in the national parks, they don't. But they are not hot and humid so we don't need AC. Just a generator to run other things.

Your mileage may vary.

Now if you plan to parking lot tailgate for the SEC circuit then get those generators.
__________________

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
tjdonahoe's Avatar
 
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess_Pizz View Post
Hi Y'all,
I recently purchased a 2021 flying cloud 25FB with 2 air conditioners which means that our cloud will be 50 Amp. I included a solar package with my order but I also want to add a generator.

I think the Cummins Onan RV QG 5500 LP - 5.5HGJAB-1119 - 5.5kW RV Generator LP would work as it says that it runs two 13,500 BTU AC units w/ 1100 additional watts available BUT is listed with 30A and 20A breakers. Do i need a 50 amp? Or will this work?


See here for more specs: https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...-LP/p6316.html

Thank you so so much for any help! I am at a complete loss here!
We use a 4000 China generator...runs 1 ac just fine and is $275...easy in gas..30 amp
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:13 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member
 
Jess_Pizz's Avatar
 
2021 25' Flying Cloud
St. Petersburg , FL
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
My 2 cents.

Unless you plan to camp off grid in the South, you probably don't need a generator capable of running both AC units.

The beauty of living in Capitalist America is that if there is a consumer need, there will usually be a provider to meet that need.

Any place you will want to camp that is warm and humid enough that AC is needed, will probably have available electric for you to run the AC.

We live in the humid midwest and everyplace we camp has electric. When we camp in the national parks, they don't. But they are not hot and humid so we don't need AC. Just a generator to run other things.

Your mileage may vary.

Now if you plan to parking lot tailgate for the SEC circuit then get those generators.
We live in Florida so i unfortunately reasonably foresee needing to run both ACs.
Jess_Pizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:23 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
 
Jess_Pizz's Avatar
 
2021 25' Flying Cloud
St. Petersburg , FL
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybauman View Post
Something smaller can also give you what you want. A single Honda eu2200i will run 1 AC unit. Two of these gennies can be tied in parallel and run 2 AC units. These things are only about 50lbs each and can fit in small places for storage and/or transport.

I've converted mine to run on propane gas, so I just plug in to the gas port on the front of my trailer. I have also installed MicroAir Easy Starts on my AC units to make it a bit easier on the generators.
Thank you, Jay. I am now leaning towards 2 champion dual fuels at 3400 watts a piece in parallel. That would be enough to run both ACs and a TV and a Laptop right? Do you think i would need an easy start on my AC with that setup?
Jess_Pizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:27 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
 
Jess_Pizz's Avatar
 
2021 25' Flying Cloud
St. Petersburg , FL
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC RVer View Post
All of the previous post have more than adequately covered your question as to 30 amp vs 50 amp genset requirements. The only thing I can add is that I recently took delivery of a 2020 Flying Cloud with dual a/c's and opted for the Westinghouse IGen 4500. This unit is actually made by Onan and is identical in all respects but color. (Blue vs Green) The output is 4500 watts peak and 3700 watts running which will take care of all your 30 amp needs. I was unable to find the Onan unit anywhere and found the Westinghouse on Amazon for $100+ less. Hope this helps.
Thank you, SC.

I know they answered my 30 to 50 amps but i am still confused. Do i just get a 30 to 50 amp converter to plug the generator into the airstream?

Also, I can't find the A-frame dimensions anywhere! Do you know how much space there is on the frame between the propane tank cover and the Airstream?
Jess_Pizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:31 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
 
Jess_Pizz's Avatar
 
2021 25' Flying Cloud
St. Petersburg , FL
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
50A service assumes that the two 120 volt legs are out of phase. What this means is that the neutral current never exceeds 50A and the wiring is sized for that. There are all kinds of configurations that you could use to provide power to both legs of the 50A service but unless you are driving the trailer with 120/240 volts you have to be careful not to exceed 50A total neutral current. 6000 watts of total generator power would be the limit.
I am looking at doing 2 Champion Power Equipment 3400-Watt Dual Fuel Portable Inverter Generators with Electric Start running in parallel. Do you think that would result in me exceeding 50A total neutral current?
Jess_Pizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:33 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
 
Jess_Pizz's Avatar
 
2021 25' Flying Cloud
St. Petersburg , FL
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
No, you do not need nor do I think you can buy a portable generator large enough to replace a 50 amp RV outlet. Nor do I think a trailer ever draws that much power.

What most people do when camping without hooks is to just use less power. Run the HW heater and the fridge on propane. Heat with propane. Do not run any other appliance while the AC is running. That sort of thing.

I have a 30 amp trailer and we run a Honda 2000 but it will just run one thing at a time pretty much. Have ti shut the AC off to run the microwave.

My guess is that you will be well served with a 3000-3500 or so watt generator and run the trailer on a 30 to 50 connector. 1 AC or the microwave or a hair dryer at the time.

I would look at an electric start Honda 3500 if you have a truck bed to carry and run it in. If you a closed TV like a van or a SUV I would look at 2 Honda 2200's or learn how to get buy with 1 of them.

A used Honda 2200 would be easy to resell so it would not cost too much to buy a mew one and try it and sell it if it is not sufficient for your use.
Thank you for your reply. I want to be able to run both ACs and a TV and a laptop.

What are your thoughts on running 2 3400 dual fuel champions in parallel? Would that work?
Jess_Pizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:41 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
 
Jess_Pizz's Avatar
 
2021 25' Flying Cloud
St. Petersburg , FL
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by McStreamy_ View Post
That's a LOT of generator. And for my $.02 it's a LOT more than you need for the job. That looks like a generator that would be built in to a class A motorhome. There's lots of info on the forum regarding generators. We have two 2200 watt inverter generators that handle our AC and anything else we could need. There are many brands available. Do you plan to be boondocking in the south in 100 degree temps? If not, you may find you don't need both ACs to run at the same time.
Thank you for your help McStreamy!
We live in Florida and my family is in New Orleans so I can only assume that we will be in oppressively hot and humid conditions more than I would like.

Are your 2200s running 1 AC or 2?
Jess_Pizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:48 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
 
Jess_Pizz's Avatar
 
2021 25' Flying Cloud
St. Petersburg , FL
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Champion makes a 3400 watt dual fuel inverter generator that is very quiet. Runs all the loads in my 30 amp airstream easily on propane. Iíve never run it on gasoline to keep the carb clean and odor free.

Attachment 381014

Running air conditioning at just a bit above idle. Note that the generator is very quiet in this picture.... Iíve adapted it to run directly from the 3/8 inch quick connect I added to the A-frame area.

Attachment 381015

Oh God, you never should have told me all of this because now I have about 100 questions for you lol. But I will start with 2:

I am now thinking of doing 2 of the 3400 champions in parallel what are your thoughts on that? Think it will run 2 ACs, a TV, and a laptop?

According to the owners manual the 50 amps dont have a generator connector on the A frame.. can you tell me more details about your quick connect modifications please?
Jess_Pizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1973 & 1976 Windows Parts & 80's Door-Negotiable tbashin Airstream Classifieds 0 01-01-2018 09:22 PM
Carefree Roadside & Rear Window Awning Arms & Rollers For 1976 31' Airstream Sovereign mrnos44 Airstream Classifieds 0 08-23-2016 08:08 PM
Goucho couch,original am/fm 8 track & lots of wood & aluminum from interior remodel gquailhunter Airstream Classifieds 0 09-19-2015 05:25 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.