Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2024, 12:56 PM   #1

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
DIY solar panel installation

Hi everyone - new to this forum. I'm researching DIY roof mounted solar. My suitcase zamp solar panel was just stolen from my trailer storage at the back of my property. I used it to keep my 6V batteries in good shape and also to boon-dock. It was 180 V; 10 amps. Thinking about installing a roof-mounted solar system. My trailer is a 2019 23 ft Flying Cloud - I'm the 3rd owner of this trailer. This trailer is pre-wired for zamp solar but there is no interior mounted solar controller and I don't know where the wires from the roof mounted solar plug-in can be accessed.

I want to find how to install roof mounted solar panels. The trailer was to be pre-plumbed for solar but I can't find where the wired for the controller comes down into the cabin from the roof mounted zamp plug ins. I am also nervous about drilling holes to mount panels on the roof. Got a quote for $4000 from Airstream for them. to do the work which looks like a 200% mark-up. Anyone with experience on this subject?
AndyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 02:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
Hi everyone - new to this forum. I'm researching DIY roof mounted solar. My suitcase zamp solar panel was just stolen from my trailer storage at the back of my property. I used it to keep my 6V batteries in good shape and also to boon-dock. It was 180 V; 10 amps. Thinking about installing a roof-mounted solar system. My trailer is a 2019 23 ft Flying Cloud - I'm the 3rd owner of this trailer. This trailer is pre-wired for zamp solar but there is no interior mounted solar controller and I don't know where the wires from the roof mounted solar plug-in can be accessed. Is there any advise out there on this subject?
I have a 2018 Globetrotter with twin beds and had factory solar option installed at purchase. The wiring from the rooftop solar combiner made its way down to the DC distribution panel box. With the twin bed option that box was located in the front corner of the curbside bed. Open the box and hopefully you should find the wires.

Purchase a Victron solar, controller and connect those wires to that controller and then to the positive and negative buss bars in the DC distribution box. I would suggest purchasing your stuff from AM Solar and they will provide diagrams showing how all wiring / breakers and fuses should be installed.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 07:02 PM   #3

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Thanks for the reply. After looking at the AC Solar site Iím realizing DIY may not be a great idea for my skill set. This is why a $4000 quote for the airstream folks for only 80 watts of solar is as expensive as it is. Guess Iíll stay with my 190 watt suitcase for now. Thanks again.
AndyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 07:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
The portable suitcase option is a good one, it is what we do. If you look around your area you may find a reliable independent operator for much less than $4k, maybe half. No matter who does the installation there is no need to drill holes in the roof — 3M tape is the way to go.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote