Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2017, 07:37 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Gatineau , Quebec
It would be fun if the Airstream cyclists could connect somehow and share information. For example, I would be happy to ride with someone visiting our Ottawa region and show him/her the nice routes in the area (no matter the level... as long as the guy does not average 30 mph...). And Vice Versa.

Just an idea. Et je ne vous dirai pas ce qui est arrivé sur le Tour aujourd'hui.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:38 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Well, our luck changed. As it happens, the park we moved to today for the next 9 nights (through the morning of the last day in Paris) not only has cable, but also has the NBC Sports Network.

What a great stage today. Things just got a lot more interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Don't think Sagan can stay with Kittel in a true sprint. Uphill yes.

Also think Cav and particularly Greipel are past their primes. Sadly.
True, but sprint stages are far more exciting with Cav and Sagan in them. I never cared for Greipel so no loss there IMO.

We'd love to see some of the tour in person, but I find the logistics of planning such a trip to be intimidating. I just need to do some research and make it happen. Thanks for the steephill.tv tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
I subscribed to the NBC Cycle Pass this year. I can watch TOF and other races on my iPhone on wifi.....rv parks , cafes etc.
I considered buying the pass this year, but even park wifi couldn't have handled it. But next year is another story. Are you happy with the pass? Do you use it on a special app or just a website?

Joanne
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:53 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAirStmr View Post
Are you happy with the pass? Do you use it on a special app or just a website?

Joanne
The pass is great most of the time. Feed can get a little shaky and audio skips sometimes, but that seems to happen more in the mountain stages. For $40 for the year, there are a lot of races if you're a fan.

Bought mine the day before the Sagan/Cav incident. Thought I wasted money, especially after Porte and Thomas crashed out. All that changed today!

On another biker note: we're using the Overlander to do the Seacoast Century in NH in September. First time using the Airstream for a long organized ride.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:52 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
I'm loving the commercial free NBC streaming coverage with the Aussie commentators.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:26 AM   #25
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Any fans have got to see it in person at least once to get the real experience....roads closed, whole towns and villages holding street parties waiting for the caravan, then (typically) the whole race passing in less than ten seconds.

Been fortunate enough to see at least one stage most years since 1994, and was in Belgium last week.

Greatest memories....

1) '96, camping near 's-Hertogenbosch, road into the town to watch the prologue on my Pinnerallo Banesto team replica. The circuit was barricaded, but anyone on a bike was being allowed to ride the course, whilst the actual teams were out doing reconnaissance. I couldn't resist tagging onto the Banesto group (along with many others) for one lap, but the highlight came when Claudio Chiappucci joined the circuit (to do a warm-up lap) as I was passing, in great spirits and was doing practice sprints with the crowd.

2) '94, having been to France to watch the team time trail the day before, I road from home to watch the first categorized climb (Blackhouse Hill, near Hythe UK). The race passed as a bunch, with approx 1000 cyclist following up the hill. On reaching the top, the spectator group realized that the race was heading to Canterbury, then back to Ashford, and there was a direct short-cut we could take. Que a 1000 cycle, mass time trial, closing both sides of a two lane highway as we going flat out to try and cover the 12mile direct route faster than the race covered 32mile race route. We made it just in time to watch the caravan for a second time.

2) '98 camping in County Wicklow near Dublin with 3 friends we had ridden into Dublin for the prologue. Had a great day out with a clear view about 300m from the finish, which meant a constant timing point and meant we knew Boardman had taken the prologue 300m before he crossed the line. We hang around for an hour or so, but then realized we had about 40mile ride back to camp, and a little over 60mins before it got dark and none of us had lights on our race bikes. Que a 4 up, 'team' time trial back to camp. We were moving through traffic on the outskirts of Dublin, but had to stop for a traffic light. The light changes, the guy on the front starts to pull off and in doing so pulls his wheel over to foul the chain stay. At this point, we realize the big yellow team ONCE bus is along side us. The bus stops, the team mechanics jump out, re-align the wheel, and give the guy a push start before jumping back on the bus....they drove alongside us for a few miles cheering, before the traffic cleared and they were gone.

You just don't the experience watching on TV!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote