Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
mok
MOK

North Providence , Rhode Island
Compressor

I need a small, portable compressor to blow the lines out with for winterizing. Suggestions?
mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Only portable one I have is a smaller, pancake style Porter Cable. But I don't use it when winterizing ... I use a portable 10 gallon air tank (Tractor Supply ?) that I carry to the trailer (which seems to be outdoors or in an un-electirfifed barn when I want to blow out the lines). The small compressor will run off my generator, but the portable tank is just easier. I've got an adaptor (Camping World ?) that screws into the city water fitting and has a Schrader valve on the other end. 1-2 tank fillings and a tire-fill air chuck does the job just fine.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mok View Post
I need a small, portable compressor to blow the lines out with for winterizing. Suggestions?
Those in the "know" all suggest a minimum of a 5 HP compressor, since you need a huge volume of air to properly blow out the lines.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mok View Post
hi mok!

NEWer trailers have pex water lines, low water drain valves and HIGHER pressure rated plumbing.

on old trailers, often modified and seldom with totally original plumbing, clearing the lines is more challenging.

ANY small comperssor works fine, IF you follow the process described in the OWNERS MANUAL suppled BY airstream.

and LIMIT the air pressure, again as described in the O.M.

the important thing about the compressor is that it is NOT internally lubricated with oil...

we do NOT want to blow lubricating oils into the water lines, so that's an issue.

i've used TINY compressors for this with good results.

and one can UNHOOK the water pump quickly and drain that residual water into a towel...

cheers

2air'

quick glance, THIS thread would be better place in the PLUMBING or winterizing sections, where there are MANY threads on this issue.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote