Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2021, 06:02 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Champion 4500 Inverter Generator

I finally received my new Champion 4500 inverter generator with remote start. I haven’t had it out camping yet, but I’m quite pleased with it after the initial setup procedure. I installed the high altitude carburetor jet last night, which was supplied to me at no charge by Champion. They offer two additional jet options; one for 3,000 - 6,000 feet of elevation, and one for 6,000+ feet of elevation.

The installation and initial setup were easy. The unit is very quiet, and the operation is simple. It’s a bit heavier than the small units that are under 3,000W, but it’s not unmanageable. It weighs 101 lbs., and it has very large, solid handles for moving in and out of the truck. It also has wheels and a pull handle for ease of moving around on the ground. It’s about the size of a medium Yeti cooler.

I ordered the version sold my Acme Tools, which was the less expensive option. For the money, I haven’t seen another generator with this much power and this lightweight. So far, I give it a thumbs up!

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
These Champions are nice.Proven to be dependable/ Sportsman tested.
Quiet, and true 30 Amp power, the Airstream plugs right in.
Ive got a new non inverter/ open frame, gasoline only, 4,350 Starting watts remote start.
Its really quiet , and it was out the door last fall from Tractor Supply for $ 389.
As with all gasoline generators, make sure you're adding gas stabilizer, if unsure about how often it will be used.I use PRIG ,it will keep gas from breaking down for 2 years.Add to all gas at the pump, then you know you're good.
I don't use campgrounds,or whatever, but if somebody wants to weep + virtue signal,about a big "fossil fuel" generator running if need be, then let them weep, and freeze running their "solar" at midnight...
Old 03-10-2021, 06:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I like solar, and I have panels on my Airstream roof with AGM batteries. However, it has limitations. My wife and I often camp in more remote areas without electrical hookups. The generator will come in very handy there, not only for charging up my batteries, but for running the coffee maker, etc. We also occasionally camp in warmer weather and we like the ability to use the generator to run the air conditioner. Solar just can't provide the same convenience.

We're camping trackside at the Formula 1 race this fall, and there no hookups. The generator will be great there!

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 03-10-2021, 07:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Here's the link to the one that I bought:

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...tart-inverter/

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 03-10-2021, 08:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I like solar, and I have panels on my Airstream roof with AGM batteries. However, it has limitations. My wife and I often camp in more remote areas without electrical hookups. The generator will come in very handy there, not only for charging up my batteries, but for running the coffee maker, etc. We also occasionally camp in warmer weather and we like the ability to use the generator to run the air conditioner. Solar just can't provide the same convenience.

We're camping trackside at the Formula 1 race this fall, and there no hookups. The generator will be great there!
Exactly.Solar, like now, in most parts of the northern tier, is weak at best.Be lucky to charge a cell phone.
I have literally talked to people, who think you put a couple solar panels up, and plug the 30 Amp cord from the Airstream into them.. I wish I was lying...
Not to mention these $1,000 + batteries,that you have to take their temperature every couple hours, and put a heating blankey on them, and possibly tell them bed time stories, so they will maybe run a coffee pot in the morning...
Old 03-10-2021, 09:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
I finally received my new Champion 4500 inverter generator with remote start. I haven’t had it out camping yet, but I’m quite pleased with it after the initial setup procedure. I installed the high altitude carburetor jet last night, which was supplied to me at no charge by Champion. They offer two additional jet options; one for 3,000 - 6,000 feet of elevation, and one for 6,000+ feet of elevation.

The installation and initial setup were easy. The unit is very quiet, and the operation is simple. It’s a bit heavier than the small units that are under 3,000W, but it’s not unmanageable. It weighs 101 lbs., and it has very large, solid handles for moving in and out of the truck. It also has wheels and a pull handle for ease of moving around on the ground. It’s about the size of a medium Yeti cooler.

I ordered the version sold my Acme Tools, which was the less expensive option. For the money, I haven’t seen another generator with this much power and this lightweight. So far, I give it a thumbs up!
Not sure why you got such a big generator? The Dual Fuel 3400 is a bit lighter and does the job well, plus propane or gas...I had for 3 years and it served its purpose well, including running either AC unit without the Easystart. I just got tired of the weight. The new Champion Dual Fuel 2500 is getting great reviews also at 39lbs....I missed this one, and opted to get the Honda 2200 with propane conversion from Genconnex; 3 year warranty, starts on first or second pull, and is very quiet. Runs my AC's also. Price is my only negative, but it's a Honda. The Champion line is pretty dependable from my experience; you should be happy.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:25 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
St. Thomas , Ontario
Nice looking unit. Doesn't look too big.
with 3.5L EcoBoost
crunch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:47 AM   #8
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
A year ago we purchased a Champion 3400 Dual Fuel and just love this generator. I am sure you will find it reliable and we found that the Tech Support from Champion is fantastic.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Not sure why you got such a big generator? The Dual Fuel 3400 is a bit lighter and does the job well, plus propane or gas...I had for 3 years and it served its purpose well, including running either AC unit without the Easystart. I just got tired of the weight. The new Champion Dual Fuel 2500 is getting great reviews also at 39lbs....I missed this one, and opted to get the Honda 2200 with propane conversion from Genconnex; 3 year warranty, starts on first or second pull, and is very quiet. Runs my AC's also. Price is my only negative, but it's a Honda. The Champion line is pretty dependable from my experience; you should be happy.
Good question. I was originally considering the 3400, but it only weighs 5 lbs. less than the 4,500 so weight wasn't really a consideration. I wasn't interested in a dual fuel unit, although I certainly considered it. Finally, I live and frequently camp at altitudes over 8,000 feet of elevation. Internal combustion engines lose 3 - 4% of their power per thousand feet of altitude, so the running wattage of this unit is roughly 30% less than the published value of 3,500W. It's probably closer to 2,500W.

By the time I considered power loss due to altitude, plus generator cost and the cost of adding a Soft Start unit, the bigger generator just made more sense to me. This unit fits underneath my sliding tonneau cover too, which was an important consideration.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 03-10-2021, 09:55 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
A 2,200( 15 Amp) generator, is a small generator.
A 4,500 (30 Running Amp )generator is midsize.
A big generator is 50 Amps plus.
This is still America, bigger is always better
Old 03-10-2021, 01:58 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
Quote:

Is this a propane powered version?
Anything sold by Acme tools is top notch just ask Wile E Coyote 👍
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 02:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Rockets are their specialty!

I bought the gasoline version. It made more sense to me than a propane version, and I have no issues carrying a gas can in the bed of my truck.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 03-10-2021, 04:23 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Prescott Valley , Arizona
Please update us after a few months of use. The price on this is amazing ($899!). I have $2k in my two Honda 2000i units. They work great with regular maintenance and I use them at home when the electricity is out. I've had them for 14 and 12 years and just had them tuned up this winter. The tandem kit lets them run my air conditioner. I only run them when I need them but they have been life savers. I will be interested to hear how the Champion does under use and over time.
Patricia720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:30 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:

Acme Tools.😁

Maybe this would have been better posted on 4/1/21

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-10-2021, 04:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Acme Tools.😁
Isn't that were Wile-E.-Coyote buys all his gear?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wile-E-Coyote.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	390445  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:34 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia720 View Post
Please update us after a few months of use. The price on this is amazing ($899!). I have $2k in my two Honda 2000i units. They work great with regular maintenance and I use them at home when the electricity is out. I've had them for 14 and 12 years and just had them tuned up this winter. The tandem kit lets them run my air conditioner. I only run them when I need them but they have been life savers. I will be interested to hear how the Champion does under use and over time.
Cabela's, a high volume sportsman store, sold a lot of Champions.They wouldn't carry a product like Champion unless they held up well.
Cabelas was bought out by Bass Pro Shops.
Champion insists on a well made product in their Chinese supply line.
Ive heard from generator mechanics that a lot of Honda generator parts interchange with Champions now.Im pretty sure the parts are now sourced from same supply lines.
I bought a new Champion 30 Amp I noted above, last fall.Non inverter, remote start, Airstream plugs into it. $389 out the door from Tractor Supply.
I then bought another older 50 Amp Champion, for back up, that's non electric start.Its old style, also open frame, the guy I bought it from left old gas in it.He did no maintence, it sat for years, started only occasionally.
I brought it home, drained the old untreated gas out.Pulled the spark plug, cleaned it a bit.Changed the oil, Put Mobile One 10-30 in it, with a little added Lucas Oil treatment.
Put some Berrymans B-12 Carb / injector cleaner ( great stuff, like $3.50 a can at Walmart ) into new PRIG ( keeps gas stabilized for 2 years)treated gas.It fired right up, runs great.
It is what it is.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:08 AM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
97lbs...no wonder it has wheels, definitely not 'old fart' friendly. 🥴

Honda 2000 USCarb, dual fuel....16 Seasons SFSG.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-11-2021, 09:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Good question. I was originally considering the 3400, but it only weighs 5 lbs. less than the 4,500 so weight wasn't really a consideration. I wasn't interested in a dual fuel unit, although I certainly considered it. Finally, I live and frequently camp at altitudes over 8,000 feet of elevation. Internal combustion engines lose 3 - 4% of their power per thousand feet of altitude, so the running wattage of this unit is roughly 30% less than the published value of 3,500W. It's probably closer to 2,500W.

By the time I considered power loss due to altitude, plus generator cost and the cost of adding a Soft Start unit, the bigger generator just made more sense to me. This unit fits underneath my sliding tonneau cover too, which was an important consideration.
Understand; my 3400 did struggle a bit on my 15000AC unit, one hot summer day in MT couple years back up in Glacier area...that convinced me to get an Easystart when i was in Jackson...the Honda 2200 Propane unit fires either AC now...as long as they start/run, I'm happy. Your right; the weight difference of the new one you have and the 3400 not much.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I may get an unexpected test of the new generator this weekend. We are expecting up to 6 feet of snow this weekend. That was not a typo. At a minimum we should get 2 feet of heavy, wet snow, with 6 feet of snow possible. I'm sensing a few power outages coming...

I bought a Champion 25' extension cable today at Cabela's that connects to the 30A RV outlet in my new generator, and brings 3 120V outlets into my house via a "flat" cord that is designed to fit under closed doors. I won't be able to power too much with it, but if I can get my fridge, television, wireless equipment, and a few lights, then I'll be happy. Our house has five gas fireplaces, so we should be able to stay warm enough without the furnace.

Let it snow!

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 03-11-2021, 01:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
We are "only" getting two feet in Monument and 40 mph winds. It is going to be fun...
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote