Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2019, 04:08 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
National City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Have one. Modified it slightly to run properly off my low pressure port or a portable tank.

Saved us on last month’s long trip with no hookups and high heat and humidity all the way. Runs my single air conditioner without grunting much. Didn’t use too much propane, either. Can’t hear the generator over my unducted air conditioner, either.
How do you get it to run on the low pressure port? I tried and could not get it to start. Runs fine on a portable tank.
NordSailOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:00 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Erie , Pennsylvania
remove the smaller regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordSailOne View Post
How do you get it to run on the low pressure port? I tried and could not get it to start. Runs fine on a portable tank.

Reference my pictures and remove the smaller high pressure regulator. This will allow you to hook into the trailer low pressure port. You'll then have two separate hose/regulator connections. Use both for a grille tank and for the AS use just the large regulator. see post #16 Hope this helps.
Rick & Becky #28279
2018 FC27FBQ
2021 RAM 2500 Hemi 6.4
KD3OBX 146.520
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:11 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Drawn to this generator due to wattage, very quiet, dual fuel, as I want to run it on propane, 30 amp RV plug, electric start, (needs small solar panel to keep battery charged).

https://generatorgrid.com/reviews/ch...00w-dual-fuel/

What do you all think?
Need to run it once a month for 20 minutes to keep it charged.
Good to run it anyway to make sure it will start when you need it.
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:06 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo1952 View Post
Need to run it once a month for 20 minutes to keep it charged.

Good to run it anyway to make sure it will start when you need it.

I added an internal connection for a battery tender direct to the battery. Cut a notch in the bottom of the battery door to run the SAE connector outside.

When the Champion is in storage I plug a two amp Sams Club yellow BatteryTender into the connector. That way I don’t need to run the generator.

Stored it that way, never have put gasoline in it, for over 18 months. Fired up on propane with a little choke pulled for 20 seconds after starting. Fired up the first try cranking fast on a nicely charged battery.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:48 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptdzl View Post
I've attached pictures of my 2 regulators that get separated so you can run off the low pressure trailer fitting or a regular propane tank. If my terminology is off feel free to correct me but I'll refer to the regulators by size large and small. they both are assemble from Champion and need to be exasperated and a few (2 I think) fittings installed. Pic 1 is the small tank regulator that you only use off a tank. The larger regulator the generator needs no matter what, AS trailer port is already regulated so the small one is not needed when hooked directly to the trailer. I used a commercial/industrial hose supply store took the parts in and they did their magic, said you need this one and that one, All I needed to do was assemble with some special tape for propane natural gas. The hose off the large regulator (pic 3) goes to the generator port and doesn't need modified.I then purchased an extension hose to go from the trailer to the bed of the TV. YMMV.
Same basic application as cptdzl, I removed the small high-to-low pressure regulator from the large "controller" and added fittings to connect the large "controller" to a 12' rubber hose with a quick-disconnect which attaches to the Airstream quick-disconnect port. To run my generator from a 20# propane bottle, I remove the quick-disconnect from the 12' rubber hose and connect a propane grill replacement hose with a high-to-low pressure regulator attached. Here's a picture http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...8&d=1503163448

cptdzl's uses less fittings and therefore would be the preferred design, but you can use any number of fittings necessary to make the connections. I took the Champion hose to Home Depot and Lowes to find fittings that made the connections. Here's a link where I described in detail what fittings I used. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post1996143

I've been using my Champion DuelFuel generator with these fittings and hoses for all of its 146 hours of use. Its worked perfectly in warm or cold temperatures and in the highest Colorado elevations and at sea-level in Florida. I just plug into the generator and use my 30A Airstream just like when its connected to shore power.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:03 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Antelope , California
We looked into it. Nice unit but VERY heavy. We were not strong enough to lift in and out of truck.
Vinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:53 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Erie , Pennsylvania
Credit where credit is due

cptdzl's uses less fittings and therefore would be the preferred design, but you can use any number of fittings necessary to make the connections. I took the Champion hose to Home Depot and Lowes to find fittings that made the connections. Here's a link where I described in detail what fittings I used. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post1996143

I've been using my Champion DuelFuel generator with these fittings and hoses for all of its 146 hours of use. Its worked perfectly in warm or cold temperatures and in the highest Colorado elevations and at sea-level in Florida. I just plug into the generator and use my 30A Airstream just like when its connected to shore power.[/QUOTE]

It was Airmiles post and photo that got me started on my version of the valves and fuel lines. Thanks for sharing your info.
Rick & Becky #28279
2018 FC27FBQ
2021 RAM 2500 Hemi 6.4
KD3OBX 146.520
Old 11-03-2019, 10:06 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Erie , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinster View Post
We looked into it. Nice unit but VERY heavy. We were not strong enough to lift in and out of truck.

As far as "heavy" that was one of the deciding factors and based on the size it will seldom (probably never) leave the bed of the truck Plus its harder for someone to walk off with it. I rigged a block and tackle (old mainsheet from our boat) to lift it by myself when it does get moved on or off the truck and into the garage. And as Airmiles mentioned mine too has performed flawlessly although it has never seen gas, only propane, which was the second factor in the purchasing decision. Its always connected to the trailer for fuel.
Rick & Becky #28279
2018 FC27FBQ
2021 RAM 2500 Hemi 6.4
KD3OBX 146.520
Old 11-04-2019, 06:45 AM   #29
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Part of the "heavy" aspect of these beasts is that you have other stuff in the back of the truck. You may not have to lift the generator out to get at this or that, but you do have to move it. Also as you bump down the road, it may move a bit (more likely front to back than side to side). That may .... errr .... impact what you decide to put in front of it.

If you run it on the back of the truck, whatever you have back there is hanging out for all to see. You *probably* will move it onto the tailgate when running. Yet another side of the "heavy" part. The generator needs to cool down before you pack up. It may be sitting there longer than might be ideal.

There are wheels on the generator. Depending on how many miles off the ground your truck sits, they may be more or less useful for moving it in the truck. They do a reasonable job on normal pavement. Wet soggy grass .... not so much.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:53 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Drawn to this generator due to wattage, very quiet, dual fuel, as I want to run it on propane, 30 amp RV plug, electric start, (needs small solar panel to keep battery charged).

https://generatorgrid.com/reviews/ch...00w-dual-fuel/

What do you all think?

Bought ours from Costco for $800. Propane Regulator broke and Champion replaced at no charge. Very nice and dependable generator.
CinTerLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:29 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Coyote , New Mexico
QUESTION: Does altitude make a difference in output for the Champion?
Maxroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:55 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Well, pretty much any normally aspirated internal combustion engine loses efficiency at altitude. Mixtures tend to run rich as oxygen density decreases.

I don’t know if Champion offers a high altitude jet for the carb or how that would work with propane...

I spent many summer at Yellowstone (8000 ft msg) and my Honda 2000i did fine. Some power loss but no need to run a/c up there anyway...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:34 PM   #33
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

All generators start out at sea level with an engine that is bigger than required. Many of them also put out more electricity than the specs suggest. The two things are similar, but not the same.

The engine will always loose power as altitude goes up. That's just how it works. At some point (who knows when) it will start to cut into the "more than spec" electrical output. It's a good bet that will be above 6,000', but that's only a guess. At some higher altitude the engine will be reduced enough to cut things back to the rated power. Again at an unknown altitude. Only a guess, but that's likely to be below 14,000'.

With a dual fuel, propane isn't giving you as much power as gasoline. The "rated power" is a bit less on propane as a result. The magic "run out of generator" altitude will be less running on propane. It's a pretty good guess it's above 6,000' on a unit designed from scratch to run on both fuels.

So very much a "that depends" sort of thing. Unless you know the power actually being pulled (in amps) and the power factor, "I was fine at 6,327.2 feet" really doesn't give you a complete picture.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:09 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Fair Oaks Ranch , Texas
We had a Champion 3400 for several years only on propane. Quiet and reliable. It was a bit heavy, although I could get it up on the tailgate. Still a chore. I only used it to charge batteries when the sun was taking a break. Ran the AC a couple of times. I sold it and got a Champion 2000W at Tractor Supply for $399. At only 38 lbs it’s easy to lift and still runs our AC (with easy start). Also quiet and reliable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0DFDE3E3-F9C6-4E61-81A3-3727BB75A1AD.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	355652  
2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II #135
2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7
MikeandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote