Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2020, 12:39 PM   #261
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Never been able to tell if the objects are gaining weight or I’m just getting weaker...so far I can still power lift it into the bed with proper footing and concentration.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:19 AM   #262
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
East Blue Hill , Maine
RMKRUM,
I just unboxed my Champion 3400 Dualfuel Generator. I am a complete newbie, and will be making the modifications you recommend. I am ordering the parts today from your parts lists. Just wanted to thank you for all the information. It is because of your post that I became a supporting member today.
Air4ME
Air4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:14 PM   #263
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Champion 3400 dual fuel generator great deal

Thanks for supporting AirForums. It’s proving to be a great source of information on all things Airstream and lots of entertaining opinions. Just try to filter out the somewhat overly opinionated stuff.

I try to provide accurate information at all times. I’m a systems engineer by experience and education and a computer security wonk as well.

Be careful making the modifications. The metal the Champion regulators are made of is kind of soft. Also be sure to use Yellow Teflon sealant tape or propane-rated pipe dope. Don’t let tape or other stuff get into the big regulator input port. Murphy’s law says the stuff will always go where it can screw things up.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:21 PM   #264
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
East Blue Hill , Maine
I have read, and reread your directions many times, I feel like I'm heading in to brain surgery (can you tell this is all new to me!). All the parts have arrived and will begin surgery on Saturday. Will update and let you know how it goes when job is completed. I did add the hour meter and have run the generator on a 20# tank, amazing how quiet it is for its size. Wish me luck!
Old 05-04-2021, 08:20 PM   #265
Rivet Master

Corona , California

Just go slow, gently test fit everything before you put yellow Teflon tape on it and go for the wrenches.

If you are confused, jump on here with pictures and clear questions. I’m around most of the day and well into the night.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:27 AM   #266
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
East Blue Hill , Maine
detaching regulator

I am struggling to detach the regulator from the pressure reducing valve. I knew I needed to be gentle so when it wasn't budging I thought I would ask for some clarification.

1. FYI The brass nut is no longer made from brass, it looks like some sort of soft metal. When removing the regulator, should I put the wrench on that nut? Does the nut come off with the regulator and the I put that nut back on to the pressure reducing valve?
2. These are gas fittings so am I still going righty tighty or is it opposite?

Thank you for your assistance.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:02 AM   #267
Rivet Master

Corona , California

Pictures would help a lot!

1. I put an open-end or thin adjustable wrench on the fitting on the bigger regulator and gently unscrewed the small regulator by hand after removing the bracket.

2. Should be standard righty righty threads.

(The only left-handed gas fittings are the old brass POL fitting nuts that used to connect to tanks. Those nuts generally have little ‘nicks’ on the corners to remind you they are left hand threads. )
Old 05-08-2021, 11:13 AM   #268
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
East Blue Hill , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air4ME View Post
I am struggling to detach the regulator from the pressure reducing valve. I knew I needed to be gentle so when it wasn't budging I thought I would ask for some clarification.

1. FYI The brass nut is no longer made from brass, it looks like some sort of soft metal. When removing the regulator, should I put the wrench on that nut? Does the nut come off with the regulator and the I put that nut back on to the pressure reducing valve?
2. These are gas fittings so am I still going righty tighty or is it opposite?

Thank you for your assistance.
I think I am almost there. The photo shows the low pressure regulator with the quick connect fitting in place, all ready to connect to my low pressure port on the AS.

I now have to attach a quick connect to the high pressure regulator, but it seems that the updated parts list didn't include the fitting I need OR I just messed something up. Is there a part listed somewhere for the male adapter I need to use to connect the high pressure port to the quick connect hose?
Thanks.. almost there I think, and so far no injuries...
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2021, 03:02 PM   #269
Rivet Master

Corona , California
It’s kind of a crapshoot at finding the right adapters. I had to search and try several sizes. Try taking the tank regulator and quick connect fittings to the local big box home improvement store. They usually have sizing samples mounted in the area of the brass fittings.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:50 AM   #270
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
I connected the hose to the regulator directly. The male barb goes into the quick connector on the trailer.

Your hose will need 2 ends male and female with that setup. I personally don’t like unnecessary connections or fitting. More chances of leaks.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:15 PM   #271
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
East Blue Hill , Maine
It works!

I made all the connections, hooked it up to AS port, didn't work! Perhaps turning on the gas would help! It did! Up and running.
Thank you for your help!
Now on to installing a bike rack on our F-250. Time for a new thread!
Old 05-10-2021, 08:02 PM   #272
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Great! Post pictures of the final setup, or as we say on the forums, it never happened! (Grin)

Keep in mind the way to shut the generator down is to turn off the propane valve first. It relieves pressure on the hose and generator internals and is the safe way to shut down. Mine won’t shut down any other way, and I think it’s a design feature…not a bug!
Old 05-10-2021, 08:14 PM   #273
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Did the Amazon list with the correct parts not help?
Old 05-11-2021, 05:13 AM   #274
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
You did add oil to the motor? I would soap bubble the connections. You have to leak check it.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:30 AM   #275
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
East Blue Hill , Maine
Brass Fittings.... flare? compression? who knows?

I did add oil, and the generator is running beautifully on propane - quiet, almost odorless, electric start and the 30 amp connection makes it all effortless. I was being so careful though with gas connections, that I forgot to turn on the gas.

BUT...now I can't get the high pressure regulator to attach to the quick connect fitting. Because I know you all love photos, here is the picture of where I am now, the pictured fitting screws into the quick connect, but not far enough because of the "flare?" on the end? (Updated parts list didn't have this but I can't find that post to confirm)

Click image for larger version

Name:	High Pressure Connect.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	395274

The fitting shown came from the big box after my little box hardware store couldn't figure out what I needed.... oh and the BIG BOX had noone to help me so with the able assistance of my 18 year old daughter we thought the pictured fitting would work.

After reading back through the "Which Generator" thread I discovered this from RMKRUM's post.

"On the High pressure regulator I used a brass ¼" male pipe to ½" male pipe adapter threaded (very carefully) into the high pressure regulator output port to connect the female quick connect to it. Hopefully I remembered this correctly…"

Click image for larger version

Name:	3:8 to 1:4 fit.png
Views:	42
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	395275

I now believe based on my rereading of RMKRUM's post that if I order the Amazon part (shown above) I should be all set.

Does this sound right? I have already spend hours at hardware stores trying to find the part, should have reread your posts earlier. BTW, really funny and informative thread.

Will post more pictures when I get both options working. And BTW Gypsydad, we have an F250 with 20" tires, needless to say, the generator is going to live in the back of that truck once my DH and I get it in there! No built in step on the tailgate, I bought a light step ladder instead.
Thanks for your continued help!
Old 05-11-2021, 04:50 PM   #276
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
I did add oil, and the generator is running beautifully on propane - quiet, almost odorless, electric start and the 30 amp connection makes it all effortless. I was being so careful though with gas connections, that I forgot to turn on the gas.

BUT...now I can't get the high pressure regulator to attach to the quick connect fitting. Because I know you all love photos, here is the picture of where I am now, the pictured fitting screws into the quick connect, but not far enough because of the "flare?" on the end? (Updated parts list didn't have this but I can't find that post to confirm)

Attachment 395274

The fitting shown came from the big box after my little box hardware store couldn't figure out what I needed.... oh and the BIG BOX had noone to help me so with the able assistance of my 18 year old daughter we thought the pictured fitting would work.

After reading back through the "Which Generator" thread I discovered this from RMKRUM's post.

"On the High pressure regulator I used a brass ¼" male pipe to ½" male pipe adapter threaded (very carefully) into the high pressure regulator output port to connect the female quick connect to it. Hopefully I remembered this correctly…"

Attachment 395275

I now believe based on my rereading of RMKRUM's post that if I order the Amazon part (shown above) I should be all set.

Does this sound right? I have already spend hours at hardware stores trying to find the part, should have reread your posts earlier. BTW, really funny and informative thread.

Will post more pictures when I get both options working. And BTW Gypsydad, we have an F250 with 20" tires, needless to say, the generator is going to live in the back of that truck once my DH and I get it in there! No built in step on the tailgate, I bought a light step ladder instead.

Not an issue for me any longer...got the Genconnex propane Honda 2200 with bluetooth monitor. Came with a 3 year warranty and works great both with AS connection and the 20#portable bottle.. Little easier on the back for sure...took me awhile to sell the Champion 3400, but all is well for now. Still curious to see how the new Champion 2400 dual fuel reviews from some of the AS Forum crowd...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:33 PM   #277
Rivet Master

Corona , California

Quote:

Attachment 395274

Attachment 395275

Yup. The high pressure regulator is 1/4” female pipe thread. Keep in mind my quick connection fittings were probably bigger than yours. Your photo shows a possible 1/4” male flare fitting on one end, and I know for sure mine were all standard pipe fittings…

Sometimes this stuff takes a little experimental work. I still have a small collection of ‘stuff that didn’t quite fit’ to keep in the plumbing junk box.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:23 AM   #278
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Return the flair fitting and while your there get the correct one. The 1/4 x 1/2 is the correct fitting. The HD or Lowes should carry it. It’s in a different section than the plumbing fittings.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:47 AM   #279
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Great! Post pictures of the final setup, or as we say on the forums, it never happened! (Grin)

Keep in mind the way to shut the generator down is to turn off the propane valve first. It relieves pressure on the hose and generator internals and is the safe way to shut down. Mine won’t shut down any other way, and I think it’s a design feature…not a bug!
Agreed, the power switch is only for when it runs on Gas (which mine never has). I just close the blade valve on the AS and let it just stop on its own...takes a few seconds.....safe and easy.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:52 PM   #280
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
I found 2 more good deals on champion generators.

Champion 5,500W/4,000W Dual Fuel Inverter Generator with Electric Start

$1,099.99

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cham...AFF&cm_soc=AFF

Champion Power Equipment 2500-Watt Ultralight Portable Dual Fuel Inverter Generator

At Walmart.com $464.49