Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Champion 1600w generator: Very quiet!

I just bought a Champion generator from Costco.
Champion Power Equipment
I didn't want to spend too much for a Honda or Yamaha, so $500.00 was within my budget.
It's rated for 1,600 watts, running, and 2,000 watts max. It's stackable to connect 2 in parallel.
It really seemed similar (clone) to the Honda, so I thought "What the heck, beats $900.00".
I put in gas and oil, and it started right up on the second pull.
I am pleased with how quiet it is!
In the ECON mode, it's about as loud as a dishwasher. You could talk on a cell phone standing right next to it. Really.
In regular mode, it's about as loud as a small electric lawnmower. Not too bad, and you could have a conversation 10-15 feet away, no problem.
I ran it for about 5 hours in the backyard while I worked on the AS in the front. I could barely hear it. It sounded like maybe someone was mowing their lawn a couple of blocks away, if you listened carefully.
I couldn't hear it at all inside the house, and I have single pane windows.
I used to have a Coleman, and MAN, was that thing ever LOUD!!!
The materials and construction seemd very good. I've never heard of Champion before this week, when I started looking into a decent genny.
So far, I'm happy with it. Of course, I'll see how it holds up, and if the 1,600 rated watts are accurate.
I'll post my findings soon.
Has anyone else had any experience (good or bad) with Champion?
It has a 2 year warranty, but I don't know how good that is.
Also, it's small enough that I should be able to easily bumper mount it to the back of the AS, with a small welded bracket assembly.
edglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Prepare yourself! Lots of people are soon to jump in and tell you "you can't mount that there!"

I've heard of Champion and I've seen them advertised as quit as Honda but I've never been around one.

Just thought I'd give you the heads up!
There coming I hear the keyboards lighting up now!
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
San Jose via Winnepeg, Toronto, Orlando, Saratoga and Groton , California
Send a message via AIM to tyggeln Send a message via MSN to tyggeln Send a message via Yahoo to tyggeln
edglenn - that sounds like a really good deal. With a 2-year warranty, and if it doesn't work out for any reason (like gets real loud in about three weeks) you can take it back to COSTCO no questions asked.

I checked the Honda 2000i, and they have the same noise level as long as both are spec'd at 23 ft.

I've resisted a generator, but perhaps this year New Year trip to Yosemite might be the reason to splurge.

It weighs 50 pounds, and so I would be skeptical about mounting it on the rear. With the moment arm, it could feel like 100lbs inside the rear storage of your unit. I wouldn't put anything aft of the rear bumper, and am skeptical about carrying much weight in the back at all.

Chris

Chris
tyggeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Your Overlander is too long to put any additional weight on the bumper!

You might get away with it on a Caravel or Globetrotter, but nothing longer. (Mr&Mrs S were right!).

Zep
Old 11-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by edglenn View Post
I just bought a Champion generator from Costco.
Champion Power Equipment
I didn't want to spend too much for a Honda or Yamaha, so $500.00 was within my budget.
It's rated for 1,600 watts, running, and 2,000 watts max. It's stackable to connect 2 in parallel.
Keep in mind that if you wish to have that generator to have a long life, you must not load it beyond 80 percent of the 1600 watts, which is 1280 watts.

That leaves out the AC, and the typical electric counter top appliances, since the univolt will always have some draw.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyggeln View Post
I checked the Honda 2000i, and they have the same noise level as long as both are spec'd at 23 ft.
Chris
Honda's numbers are based on 9 feet while the champion is at 23. The Champion would be 61+ if measured at the same 9 feet according to this.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Long Island , New York
EdGlenn.. I actually bought one at Costco about 2 Months ago (At that time, it was also an additional $40 off, which brought the price down to $449) - so I loved the price.

I liked the fact that it was quiet and seemed well built. In the end, I ended up returning it to Costco and purchasing a used Honda eu3000is and 2 Honda eu2000i (they were a package deal at an unbelievable price).

What I did not like about the Champion (my only gripe really) was the fact that it had an annoying habit of cycling up and down. With the AS plugged in, the engine did not run at a constant tone (hope I am explaining that correctly) ,The sound of the engine going up and down finally got to me. I should state however, that I did not exchange the Champion for another one at Costco; so it is possible, the above issue was only with the one I had.

In comparison, I thought it to be just a little louder that the Honda.

I suppose though had I not found the used Hondas. I would have learned to tolerate the engine cycling on the Champion.
dnssandbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Good luck with the Champion... Please post how you like it so the rest of us can have the benefit of your testing it. "Which generator should I get?" is a huge topic of importance to this crowd crowd, so even those of us who have bit the bullet and put down our money on Hondas (two 2000s here — a Companion + a Regular) or Yamahas are eager to know how others fair...just so we know.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
OK,...I'll bite. Why can't the 50 lb generator be mounted on the rear bumper?
It's 3" steel channel, running to the frame(?).
If the bumper will "fall off", then I'll have to strengthen it.
Added weight in the rear can't be a huge factor, there's anywhere from zero to 200 pounds in the waste tank, depending on what day of the week it is.
Has anyone actually had experience with problems mounting on the bumper, or is this an old wive's tale?
Old 11-18-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by edglenn
I saw a guy with a bike rack welded on there, and it had bikes on it too. Guess he doesn't read this forum because it should have cracked off the back end of the trailer and made his TV pop a wheelie. Just kidding. There are lots of posts on the topic of adding weight to the bumper and most agree there is no frame in the classical sense - built more like an aircraft. The 3" channel probably does not extend far into the trailer.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
OK,...I'll bite. Why can't the 50 lb generator be mounted on the rear bumper?
If the bumper will "fall off", then I'll have to strengthen it.
Added weight in the rear can't be a huge factor, there's anywhere from zero to 200 pounds in the waste tank, depending on what day of the week it is.
Has anyone actually had experience with problems mounting on the bumper, or is this an old wive's tale?
The camper shell is holding the two 4" C channel frame rails up back there, the frame doesnt hold up the walls, so the generator could pull the frame down from the camper shell.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Guess I'll have to puruse the Floor & Frame forum for more detail. But, if the waste tank hasn't fallen onto the road, it must be supported by something. Therefore, I should be able to weld an extension, even if it has to lever from the axle mounts.
If we can put a man on the moon, surely a generator can be attached to the back of an AS!
Old 11-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #13

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Guess I'll have to puruse the Floor & Frame forum for more detail. But, if the waste tank hasn't fallen onto the road, it must be supported by something. Therefore, I should be able to weld an extension, even if it has to lever from the axle mounts.
If we can put a man on the moon, surely a generator can be attached to the back of an AS!
In general it's recommended to dump the waste tanks before traveling whenever possible. Also, something attached to the bumper will have another foot or two of moment arm from the axle(s) than the waste tanks do.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
True story.

Quote:
Hi, please mount your generator to your trailer's rear bumper and post pictures and all for us to see how you made it work.

I read two stories on the SOB forum, from the same person.

(1.) I made a bracket to mount to the rear of my trailer's bumper; It holds my portable generator, an ice chest, a gas can, and two bicycles. You people on this forum keep saying it won't work, but I'm proof that it can and does work. Here are the pictures of my bracket with my generator, gas can, ice chest, and two bicycles on the rear bumper of my trailer.

About three weeks later:

(2.) I was towing my trailer and someone pulled next to me yelling something about the back of my trailer. I pulled over to look and my rear bumper was torn loose from my trailer's frame. My bracket and and bumper were dragging in the street. I was lucky that the only things that were on the bumper bracket, at this time, were my ice chest and an empty gas can. My generator and expensive bicycles were at home. I am posting this and the pictures to show you and anyone else on this forum that I was wrong and you guys were right. Next time I will listen to those of you with more experience.

Note: this is not an exact quote, but the story is very close as per my memory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bumper failure.jpg
Views:	61706
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	145595  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
He used the original 15ga 4x4 square tube bumper that is paper thin to bolt all that crap to. Look on the bumper where it was welded to the frame, there is 2 holes. If he would have cut off the original bumper and used 4x4 3/16 wall tube it would of worked. He was just smart enuff to get himself in a lot of trouble.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:34 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I offer this input. I am guilty of the same mistake in the picture. I was hunting in Colorado and had a fifth wheel at the time. I needed a way to haul an ATV with me.

I simply U-Bolted a receiver hitch to the stock rear bumper of the trailer, loaded a mid-sized ATV on a 5x8 small utility trailer and took off from Arkansas to Colorado. I made it to Colby, KS where I stopped to eat and refuel. We walked around the rig, and as part of the “safety check” kicked the rear bumper of the fifth wheel witch almost fell off the trailer.

As mentioned previously, the light gauge tubing had torn away from the frame rails at the welds and was about to fall off. Luckily, Colby is a farming town and a kind hearted welding shop welded a section of heavy walled tubing back in place and off we went.

As to bolting something to the bumper of an Airstream, SOB trailers in the above stories are a “body on frame” design. The frame is intended to provide all the strength The walls and floor simply sit on the frame. The frame is heavy enough to tolerate additional loads.

An Airstream is entirely different. The frame is lighter and the “bubble” is intended to carry much of the load. The tanks in modern trailers are below the floor, and over the axels to let their weight ride in supports right above the axel. Not the skins.

I am a fan of the rear bath, I like the room. But look around. They take very special care and feeding to remain road worthy.

Some light loads like bicycles seem work, at least for a while. But, no equipment racks of any kind on the back of my AS.

Best of luck with any choice one may make,

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
That is a white box trailer. Their frame actually supports the trailer whereas the Airstream monocoque type of shell construction helps the frame to support the complete structure.
I wouldn't add any weight at the rear of an Airstream.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:44 AM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Why not just get a good container and carry it in the AS or TV?

ActionPacker Werks 'fer us. No smell, no worry.

Bob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HONDA CONVERSION add vid pix2-3 006.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	548.6 KB
ID:	145598  
Old 11-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Why not just get a good container and carry it in the AS or TV?

ActionPacker Werks 'fer us. No smell, no worry.

Bob.
And it wont disappear off your bumper.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I say go ahead and mount it on the bumper. A 5 gallon gas can next to it would be cool. We need to keep this economy going somehow. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote