Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2021, 06:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Cargenerator

Hello airstreamers,

I need your advice especially from person operating a generator. I am going to purchase a generator from a new concept for me. See below, the short description and the internet address.

Quote:
"The Car Generator is a great and innovative new product that allows you to turn your car into a generator. This detachable inverter system uses your car's engine to provide 120 volts of pure clean power at 1100 watts to power and charge your trailer quietly and with a minimum of emissions. If you think about it, your modern vehicle meets the most stringent of pollution standards, runs quietly and has enough fuel to let you run your Car Generator for days at a time if needed. The creator of Car Generator is fellow RV'er and Can-AM RV Centre customer, Jonathon Schloo, from Ontario, who invented this gadget and pitched it on Dragon's Den a couple of years ago. Guess what? Like all great new products on that show, Jonathon won investment from more than one of the Dragon's and the product is on the market and growing exponentially. I love mine because I don't have to carry fuel cans and I don't worry if it is going to start, or offend my neighbours. I have used it at home on several occasions to get me through power outages and even run my freezer and furnace. Don't take my word for it...check their website. www.cargenerator.com «*.
Thank you in advance for your comments.
Payan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
So, you ask advice about a device you have already bought and include a handy link.

1100 watts @ 120VAC is less than 10 amps. Won’t run your A/C. Won’t run the microwave. Should power the converter, top off the batteries…

But, you have to run the prime mover in your tow vehicle to power it.

Not useful to me. Other opinions may vary.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I'll just run my 2, 2000 watt generators and have power for what I need. My diesel can stay shut off!! Just a big inverter!! Sounds like a sales pitch, and probably gets a "kick back"!
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
So the question is, is this something you want just in case some day you want to boondock over night and you are worried about your batteries running dry, or is it something you intend to use instead of a generator every time you take your trailer out? If you just want to top off your batteries, your tow vehicle already does this more efficiently via your 7 pin umbilical.

There is nothing innovative about this product other than the packaging (it is waterproof!). You can buy functionally the same thing at Harbor Freight for a lot less.

The idea of using your vehicle as an AC power supply only really has merit if you compare it to the expense and trouble of owning and maintaining a generator solely for the purpose of having it in case of a power failure at your home. I don't think it has much merit as a replacement for a generator that you would use every time you use your camping trailer.

Seriously, think about it. If this actually made sense, no RV would include a separate generator. It would be much cheaper to just install an inverter on the main engine, and you could then have a whole campground filled with rumbling RVs at idle.

Also, I think their data is skewed. Their claim that a Honda 1000W generator uses more gas than a 2 L car engine at idle, I just don't buy. I've run my Honda EU2000 in eco mode and gotten about 12 hrs out of a gallon of gas.

Anyway, good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:52 PM   #5
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Agree, it's just an inverter, there are thousands of inverter choices out there (and for less than the $800 price tag on the Cargenerator). It's been discussed here and the general consensus is that it is not a great idea especially to be running your tow vehicle for hours on end. CB Well I thought the OP was a sales pitch at first but if you re-read you will see that the quoted text is quoted from the web site, it is not the OPs. n2916s I don't think the OP has bought it yet, I think the quoted text is from the website, not the OP saying they have one. I could be wrong on that though. Looking on their website all the reviews are 5 star of course but not so much on Amazon.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
I kind of like the idea because I don’t want to carry a generator in the car. I use a portable solar panel frequently and it works well, but it would be nice to have a backup.

However, the price seems high. You can buy a cheaper generator (not a Honda) for less.

I’ll do some looking for alternatives here in Canada. Princess Auto is the Canadian version of Harbor Freight.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:31 PM   #7
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
It’s just an inverter with alligator clips in a plastic case. I installed a 500w inverter permanently in the bed of my truck for a couple hundred bucks…..
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
My Toyota Tacoma came with a 400 watt inverter already installed from the factory. It’s standard.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 05:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I notice it mentions the inventor is a customer of Can-Am RV. Seems designed to make you think Can-Am endorses it in some way. A bit sneaky.
Old 09-08-2021, 05:39 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Not something that interests me.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Inverter to make power from the car alternator.

The only plus I see is that you get a little power without carrying a separate generator and fuel. But...you do have to carry something. Those packages shown on the website are pretty sizable.

I see some negatives: The car is louder and gives off more pollution when running than a separate generator would. It is harmful to the car to idle for long periods. In some cases very harmful to the engine. Lead acid batteries take long runs to pick up an appreciable charge.

I looked at the advertising and literature for these units about 15 years ago. So the company has survived the test of time. I decided the car generator was not for me and bought a Honda generator. I do drive a pickup and have the capacity to carry a generator with no hassle. I do not live in an area where I feel the need for a generator for the house and I also understand you cannot just "hook it up" to the house unless you have a generator input station wired in.

The car generator might be interesting if one has lithium batteries and buys a large enough unit to put a quick charge on them. For lead-acid I just cannot see running the car for the 2 to 3 hours or so a day it will take to put any appreciable charge into them.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:20 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
So, you ask advice about a device you have already bought and include a handy link.

1100 watts @ 120VAC is less than 10 amps. Won’t run your A/C. Won’t run the microwave. Should power the converter, top off the batteries…

But, you have to run the prime mover in your tow vehicle to power it.

Not useful to me. Other opinions may vary.
^
Ditto
We Camp..to do so. we also travel. I would not want the Suburban to think it's travelling when it's not.
At our favorite woodland campground I don't believe it's a good idea.
Better a genset in a tent.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3F16C79E-5F82-481D-8ACD-E38AEF681183_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	536.9 KB
ID:	403644   Click image for larger version

Name:	C655CD63-8650-4672-B263-166533FEFD7E_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	708.0 KB
ID:	403645  

Old 09-08-2021, 09:19 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' International
Aloha , Oregon
Input from someone without a generator - be respectful of your fellow campers and get solar instead. Any internal combustion engine will make audible noise that will destroy the ambience of the great outdoors.
PeterDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:21 AM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDB View Post
Input from someone without a generator - be respectful of your fellow campers and get solar instead. Any internal combustion engine will make audible noise that will destroy the ambience of the great outdoors.
Output from someone who duz....

No noise when it's in a tent, out of sight out of mind.

No worse than screaming kids, loud music & drunk bubba's
Plus, I always let them know we use one in the morning if needed at breakfast & offer power & coffee if they want it.

Disclaimer...we don't camp in the 'we got everything' grounds'. And at dog shows & water trials WE need it.
BTW we also use solar.

Nothing is for everyone, blanket statements do not apply.

TETO

Bob
Old 09-09-2021, 08:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
Also, I think their data is skewed. Their claim that a Honda 1000W generator uses more gas than a 2 L car engine at idle, I just don't buy. I've run my Honda EU2000 in eco mode and gotten about 12 hrs out of a gallon of gas.

Anyway, good luck!
You forgot to mention the question; How many people tow a camping trailer with a 2L car engine?
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:45 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
You forgot to mention the question; How many people tow a camping trailer with a 2L car engine?
Oh noooo! It has long been my suspicion that all threads turn into TV discussions if given enough time....please...nooooooooo!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I notice it mentions the inventor is a customer of Can-Am RV. Seems designed to make you think Can-Am endorses it in some way. A bit sneaky.

Can Am sends out a regular newsletter by email. The car generator was mentioned in the one sent out last weekend.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
[Partial QUOTE=ROBERT CROSS;2535662]Output from someone who duz....

No worse than screaming kids, loud music & drunk bubba's.

Bob[/QUOTE]

Don't forget dogs that don't stop barking.
Old 09-09-2021, 12:57 PM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluda372 View Post
[Partial QUOTE=ROBERT CROSS;2535662]Output from someone who duz....

No worse than screaming kids, loud music & drunk bubba's.

Bob

Don't forget dogs that don't stop barking.[/QUOTE]

Don't blame the dog.

No...We don't include barking dogs, because it's the barking dogs owners who are the culprit.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-09-2021, 01:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Don't know if I agree, not uncommon for people to have two and three dogs now. One sets the others off and it seems there is no quieting them.

Sorry for the drift.