Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2021, 01:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
My Toyota Tacoma came with a 400 watt inverter already installed from the factory. It’s standard.
Same with my Ford.
Old 09-09-2021, 01:10 PM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluda372 View Post
Don't know if I agree, not uncommon for people to have two and three dogs now. One sets the others off and it seems there is no quieting them.
POI....We have gone to many dog shows and water trials, you would be surprised at the lack of barking. Socialization 👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-09-2021, 01:12 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
and a different level of training ??
Old 09-09-2021, 02:37 PM   #24
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
POI....We have gone to many dog shows and water trials, you would be surprised at the lack of barking. Socialization ��

Bob
����
X2 - barking dogs is always an owner issue. It doesn't take much training to achieve quiet.

As for the CarGenerator product, I fail to see where there is any value to be found at the offered price point.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:25 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
POI....We have gone to many dog shows and water trials, you would be surprised at the lack of barking. Socialization 👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Yup. I once took a friend to a big agility trial. He couldn't believe that we didn't step in any dog poop as we walked in the field.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:28 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
Car Generator a bonus

I love my Car Generator!!!! I do not want to carry a heavy generator in my SUV nor the gas to power it. (Can't lift one anyhow). If you have a big truck then maybe you can. This weighs about 12 pounds, is small (fits under my dinette seat or behind the car's seat on the floor. It is 1000 watts so powers everything I have except the AC. I got it primarily to top off the batteries (within 1 hour) and run any 120V appliances while bookdocking. I don't have to run the car for hours at a time. And my SUV is quieter than most generators I have to listen to. It doesn't use much gas either. But an extra bonus, it will power my home's frig an freezer if I have a power shortage, ie hurricane where no power for days. Now I can run an extension cord into the house and keep my food cool. For me it's perfect!!!
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:17 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
It occurs to me that most Airstreams already have a 1000 W inverter in them, which as others have pointed out is underpowered to do much anything, like make coffee. Is there an advantage of taking your vehicle’s DC power, converting it to AC to hook to your Airstream, which then uses its converter to make it back to DC to charge the batteries? Why not just connect your Airstream straight to your TVs 12V system if you want to charge using your TV and save $800? Your 7-pin connector already does that, or you could make or buy a fused extension cord with alligator clips. The product they’re selling seems to have no purpose other than adding ~20% inefficiency to charging your batteries from your TV.
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:27 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payan View Post
Hello airstreamers,

I need your advice especially from person operating a generator. I am going to purchase a generator from a new concept for me. See below, the short description and the internet address.

Thank you in advance for your comments.
This earlier thread is a pretty good one for positive constructive responses:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37...ac-213053.html
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 11:50 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Tahoe Vista , California
I saw this for $80. 750w 1500w peak. Not really sure how it compares. Not waterproof obviously.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Schumacher-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AB828AD6-BF74-4E14-A46A-51A5C34CA25B.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	403905  
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 03:44 PM   #30
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Yup. I once took a friend to a big agility trial. He couldn't believe that we didn't step in any dog poop as we walked in the field.
Isn't it fun when the Judge can appreciate a Puppy's first show.
It was also Sandy's first.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	91423771-77E4-45BB-A262-D825BD3FD05F_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	393.7 KB
ID:	403913  
Old 09-12-2021, 06:25 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payan View Post
Hello airstreamers,

I need your advice especially from person operating a generator. I am going to purchase a generator from a new concept for me. See below, the short description and the internet address.

Thank you in advance for your comments.
I think this is one of those questions where you have to go with your gut rather than the "wisdom" of the crowd. I think I only saw one comment from someone who actually has a Car Generator, and that was a positive comment. Personally I have no interest in taking a generator camping with me, even if someone gave it to me for free! I think solar is the best option, but this is a lot cheaper. If you're handy with electrical work you could rig up a heavier gauge wire to charge your trailer batteries from your alternator which would be cheaper and more efficient. You're not likely to get sufficient charging through the umbilical since the wires are small and there is a significant distance from your alternator to the batteries.

I say if you think it will work for you, then go for it! No two people have exactly the same situation, so what might not work for most others might be just what you need.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 08:44 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Cargenerator

I don’t have a CarGenerator but I have installed a 1,000 watt inverter in my Tundra. I believe the CarGenerator inverter is the same one I installed and is manufactured by Giandel. It is available from Amazon for less than $200. The latest model has been upgraded to 1,200 watts.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0669.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	403935

The installation in my Tundra works great. It replaces the 1,000 watt Honda generator we used to carry with us. We don’t use this when we are camping. We use it when we are traveling. It powers the converter so the lithium batteries charge just like as if we were connected to shore power. For example we just returned from camping for 3 days off grid. The batteries were down to 58% SOC. We turned the inverter on and connected 120v power to the Airstream and we were charged up to 100% SOC when we arrived home 3 hours later.

Some folks commented that it would get too hot under the hood or wasn’t waterproof. Neither situation has been a problem.

We don’t use it for 120v power when we are camping because we have a 2,000 watt inverter in our Airstream. However if we didn’t have this we could use this inverter for 120v power while we were camping and be able to power stuff like the toaster, my wife’s hair dryer and our microwave (with the 1,200 watt model).

DanClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0362.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	361.4 KB
ID:	403936
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:58 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNate View Post
It occurs to me that most Airstreams already have a 1000 W inverter in them, which as others have pointed out is underpowered to do much anything, like make coffee. Is there an advantage of taking your vehicle’s DC power, converting it to AC to hook to your Airstream, which then uses its converter to make it back to DC to charge the batteries? Why not just connect your Airstream straight to your TVs 12V system if you want to charge using your TV and save $800? Your 7-pin connector already does that, or you could make or buy a fused extension cord with alligator clips. The product they’re selling seems to have no purpose other than adding ~20% inefficiency to charging your batteries from your TV.

First of all, not all Airstreams have an inverter in them, ie Bambi's like mine. Secondly, I want 120V power sometimes to power a fan, or my coffee maker or recharge my batteries which trickle charge from the TV does not do sufficiently, etc. And sometimes there is no sun for days so solar doesn't work. This is a perfect alternative for me and others. And simple to use.
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:27 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
1962 16' Bambi
1993 34' Excella
St. Thomas , Ontario
I Have a CarGenerator and Love it!

I have a car generator, bought it at Alumapalooza a couple years ago and love it. I tow with an SUV and don't want cans of gas around, so no stinky generator for me. I have also used it to power parts of our house when our electricity went down and I have no issue idling my vehicle for dozens of hours if need be, you know, like Police cars, funeral vehicles, city vehicles, and other fleet vehicles do every day. No, my CarGenerator does not fire up my AC, but if you are really buying a Generator to go off grid, serious boon-docking, you are likely missing the point of the experience. I just want to make sure I don't get caught with dead batteries and have a plan-B in case the power goes out wherever I am. I never take it out of my vehicle because it is so small and easy to store.
Most of my friends that buy gas generators hardly ever use them and when they do they are hard to start and you have to make sure you have lots of fuel on hand. No thanks to that.
I think there is a new Ford truck that has this feature built in, a VERY expensive option I believe, but its the exact same thing.
1978 Olds 98
56 Ford Fairlane
vintagemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:33 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
1962 16' Bambi
1993 34' Excella
St. Thomas , Ontario
Can-Am does sell this product. That means it is a reputable product as I know they are very careful with what products they represent.
1978 Olds 98
56 Ford Fairlane
vintagemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:49 AM   #36
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
I don't it's 'reputable' product, only that it's not an efficient way to charge the AS batteries at the CG with the TV running.

Those who comment that idling won't harm a modern TV, read the idling & cold start myths.

Especially the one about starting and warming up on a cold morning with a remote starter. 👎 NEVER
Start & drive away as soon as the warning lights go off.

As a side note the CatConverter works harder at idle, a very $$$$ item.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-14-2021, 10:03 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
I don't it's 'reputable' product, only that it's not an efficient way to charge the AS batteries at the CG with the TV running.

Those who comment that idling won't harm a modern TV, read the idling & cold start myths.

Especially the one about starting and warming up on a cold morning with a remote starter. 👎 NEVER
Start & drive away as soon as the warning lights go off.

As a side note the CatConverter works harder at idle, a very $$$$ item.

Bob
🇺🇸
I think it's a matter of how much difference it would make to your engine, and that has to be balanced out against the cost and inconvenience of using a generator. Using the Cargenerator a few times a year while camping is a lot different from using a remote starter and letting your vehicle idle for 20 minutes every cold winter day, or on hot days to run the AC. I don't see the Cargenerator as being something a full-timer is going to use every day, but more of a convenience for occasional use. I agree that ideally a car would never sit idling.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:51 AM   #38
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
I think it's a matter of how much difference it would make to your engine, and that has to be balanced out against the cost and inconvenience of using a generator. Using the Cargenerator a few times a year while camping is a lot different from using a remote starter and letting your vehicle idle for 20 minutes every cold winter day, or on hot days to run the AC. I don't see the Cargenerator as being something a full-timer is going to use every day, but more of a convenience for occasional use. I agree that ideally a car would never sit idling.
Yes but, that 'genmo' is a weak 10a max 'charger' and will take a bit more than 20min to fully charge, may be ok for a bump up.

If you don't believe a car should sit idling how would use the device?

We've had our Honda for 14 seasons and never found it inconvenient.
Granted we don't use it as much now since the solar addition, but it still rides along....conveniently.
TETO

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-15-2021, 06:00 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Don't forget dogs that don't stop barking.
Don't blame the dog.

No...We don't include barking dogs, because it's the barking dogs owners who are the culprit.👍

Bob
🇺🇸[/QUOTE]

Shouldn’t the same be said about the kids and loud music?
Shiny16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:09 AM   #40
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
Don't blame the dog.

No...We don't include barking dogs, because it's the barking dogs owners who are the culprit.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Shouldn’t the same be said about the kids and loud music?[/QUOTE]

Yep...along with Loons & Coyotes.

Bob
🇺🇸