Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2021, 09:54 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If you do go for raw cells ( I have piles of them sitting here), you also will need:

1) An enclosure that properly supports / protects them.

2) A good / reliable BMS with all the right features and current ratings.

3) Interconnects and possibly fusing (depending on config).

At that point you still don't have a 10 year warranty on the result .....

Bob

I think the warranty isn’t worth the price difference. I could buy this set up 4 more times for the price of Battle Borns. With the quality of the cells, I don’t think that could ever happen. Battle Born is counting on the same thing.
Humboldt Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:13 PM   #42
Always learning

1974 27' Overlander
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Woodway , WA
This is great, I'd never head of that battery type in my search so i'll be looking into these as well for sure!
Thanks!
barryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:18 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
There are two components that secure the feet, the VHB tape (there are different grades) and the Sikaflex 221 which has to completely cover the foot on all 4 sides. With that setup the VHB is protected from the elements and the Sikaflex becomes a strong complementary adhesive.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:25 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
This is my current 200Ah setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryz View Post
This is great, I'd never head of that battery type in my search so i'll be looking into these as well for sure!
Thanks!

These are the CALB cells. Nothing fancy but very effective. Still testing at 100%.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4319.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	568.4 KB
ID:	394930   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4320.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	581.2 KB
ID:	394931  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4321.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	588.6 KB
ID:	394932  
Old 05-06-2021, 07:41 PM   #45
Always learning

1974 27' Overlander
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Woodway , WA
Wow, thanks for the pics, I've never seen that sort of set up but i'm liking it! Need to get by brain around that layout!
barryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:36 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryz View Post
Wow, thanks for the pics, I've never seen that sort of set up but i'm liking it! Need to get by brain around that layout!

Check out some info at Mobile-solarpower.com. This system is very easy. Don’t let the look of it make you think it is difficult.

There are 5 parts. 4 individual batteries @3.2volts. All of them are tied in series connection to make 12.8volts. Then add the BMS. If you are interested the money savings is large! But I do understand that many people don’t have the time to work on ever bit.

Good luck. If you want more information PM me and I will help with anything you may need.
Old 05-12-2021, 02:21 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I'm loving the Miasole CIGS panels! I found 50 watt panels and could run 4 down the centre of my trailer roof inline between the vents which I think would look good. Just wondering if combining them in parallel or series is the way to go on a 12V battery with a Victron 100/30 MPPT? The panel specs say Pmax 50W, Vmpp 13V, Impp 4.0A, Voc 16V and Isc 4.7A, which if my extremely basic understanding is sound means I'd be OK and would end up with peak Voltage of 16v x 4, 64V in parallel. Anyone got any guidance?
Old 05-12-2021, 03:11 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
check this site. he has many panels under review

waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:14 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I have watched that one, he has another one here talking about the CIGS panels, it's pretty convincing stuff, starts on CIGS at 1:32.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:41 PM   #50
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckasaurus View Post
I'm loving the Miasole CIGS panels! I found 50 watt panels and could run 4 down the centre of my trailer roof inline between the vents which I think would look good.

Where did you buy and what was the cost?

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:47 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckasaurus View Post
I'm loving the Miasole CIGS panels! I found 50 watt panels and could run 4 down the centre of my trailer roof inline between the vents which I think would look good. Just wondering if combining them in parallel or series is the way to go on a 12V battery with a Victron 100/30 MPPT? The panel specs say Pmax 50W, Vmpp 13V, Impp 4.0A, Voc 16V and Isc 4.7A, which if my extremely basic understanding is sound means I'd be OK and would end up with peak Voltage of 16v x 4, 64V in parallel. Anyone got any guidance?
Parallel adds the current not the voltage and series adds the voltage and not the current.

Also, if your roof vents shade your panels you've wasted your money.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:30 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Where did you buy and what was the cost?
They're on amazon, however I contacted Miasole and these are velcro backed rather than adhesive which is less appealing.
Old 06-03-2021, 03:33 AM   #53
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
The CIGS panels in general have got me thinking, so some questions.

It looks like you have panels running north/south? How do you have them connected? I am going to go with a 24v system, which means the open circuit voltage needs to be at least approx 40v for the charger controller to work. If all the panels are in series, at least 50% will be in a non-optimal inclination. Or do you have them setup as arrays in parallel? Individually they are under 40v, but in pairs you should always have one side in direct inclination? Of course the center panel would need to be part of one array as that panel on its own would not reach 40v? Or maybe this is just a issue of having a 24v system!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:20 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
The CIGS panels in general have got me thinking, so some questions.

It looks like you have panels running north/south? How do you have them connected? I am going to go with a 24v system, which means the open circuit voltage needs to be at least approx 40v for the charger controller to work. If all the panels are in series, at least 50% will be in a non-optimal inclination. Or do you have them setup as arrays in parallel? Individually they are under 40v, but in pairs you should always have one side in direct inclination? Of course the center panel would need to be part of one array as that panel on its own would not reach 40v? Or maybe this is just a issue of having a 24v system!

I’m no solar expert, but I can say that with my limited knowledge, I’m impressed by the tolerance of my array. I installed all of the panels in parallel. I expected to get some not great results through winter, but I think because of the by pass diodes I’m still getting good power.
In retrospect I should have made at least two different arrays but I’m having great results.
Just got back from a trip and was producing over 2 KW hrs per day.
Old 06-04-2021, 07:01 AM   #55
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

All the Wonderful videos on Youtube that get into how terrible shading a panel is are really showing you something different. They are showing you that your 12V controller will not do well if it is fed < 12V. Indeed most cut out at a significantly higher voltage. As long as you keep the controller input voltage "ok" you will get power out of the array.

One "interesting" take on this is to go even further in the series wiring stuff and use a controller that will handle a high input voltage. Victron makes some, so do others.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:53 AM   #56
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

All the Wonderful videos on Youtube that get into how terrible shading a panel is are really showing you something different. They are showing you that your 12V controller will not do well if it is fed < 12V. Indeed most cut out at a significantly higher voltage. As long as you keep the controller input voltage "ok" you will get power out of the array.

One "interesting" take on this is to go even further in the series wiring stuff and use a controller that will handle a high input voltage. Victron makes some, so do others.

Bob
Which is the basis for my question...I plan to use with a 24v battery (to keep the amps low on the high draw systems like inverter, fridge and macerator toilet) so need the voltage to be well above 24v to be useable, most easily achieved by have the panels setup in pairs in series (the MiaSole Flex-2N are 37v OCV) rather than individually. If shading is bad on one side it could drop below useful voltage but at least the opposite bank should remain above the minimum useful voltage.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:24 AM   #57
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Which is the basis for my question...I plan to use with a 24v battery (to keep the amps low on the high draw systems like inverter, fridge and macerator toilet) so need the voltage to be well above 24v to be useable, most easily achieved by have the panels setup in pairs in series (the MiaSole Flex-2N are 37v OCV) rather than individually. If shading is bad on one side it could drop below useful voltage but at least the opposite bank should remain above the minimum useful voltage.
Hi

There will *always* be a situation that shade happens. You have flat panels and no way to adjust things. Simply hook them up as best you can and move on. Even if you hook them up as one big series string, it's still going to work. Indeed in a few cases, that would work best.

Bob
Old 07-30-2021, 05:36 AM   #58
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
So....

After a bit of searching, unlike regular PV panels which are internally wired in series and so if the series is blocked by shading you can literally loose the output of the whole series possibly panel. The CiGS panels are internally wired in parallel so you literally only loose the shaded areas contribution. Also means you should wire the panels in parallel.

For anyone interested there is now a manufacturer (in the UK) making just about any combination of lengths with the three standard widths (single, double, triple) so you can choice panels to cover whatever area you want rather than having to deal with fixed length runs, (https://mipvsolarpanels.co.uk/products/)
Old 07-31-2021, 07:47 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Quote:
So....

After a bit of searching, unlike regular PV panels which are internally wired in series and so if the series is blocked by shading you can literally loose the output of the whole series possibly panel. The CiGS panels are internally wired in parallel so you literally only loose the shaded areas contribution. Also means you should wire the panels in parallel.

For anyone interested there is now a manufacturer (in the UK) making just about any combination of lengths with the three standard widths (single, double, triple) so you can choice panels to cover whatever area you want rather than having to deal with fixed length runs, (https://mipvsolarpanels.co.uk/products/)
After being out this summer many times now Im more convinced that CIGS is by far the best option for solar on vehicles of any type, but of course the ability to wrap around curves makes them perfection for Airstreams. I have been meticulously monitoring and trying to stress my setup as much as possible. I drive with my absorbtion fridge ON every where I go now with confidence I will arive at my destination with around 90% battery. This has been the case even when I drive the coast for 5 to 6 hours through fog and forests.

The array is completely shade tolerant and produces great power from the moment very small amounts of sun is dancing on the panels till late into the day. And on foggy or overcast days I'm still producing high amounts of power.

There was some chatter about the panels being black and producing heat but honestly IMHO it is a non issue. If the airstream is in direct sunlight Im running my fans through the day constantly and the inside of the airstream remains cool even in high outside temperatures. My youngest daughter has even taken naps in her upper bunk in the middle of the day, 85 degrees without any problems.

With all things considered from the ease of install, wieght savings and performace I stand firmly behind the idea that CIGS panels are the BEST fit for airstreams.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:00 AM   #60
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
So....

Hi

If they *have* wired all the cells in parallel, then the panels will only put out < 1V in full sun. That would take a *very* unusual controller ....

The only way to get things to work and put out the ~20V the normal controller is looking for is to have cells in series.

Bob