Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2022, 01:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Monterey , California
Benefit to running portables through main controller

2019 27' FB: Four rooftop Zamp Obsidian 100 w into Victron 100/50 controller using 8 ga factory prewire/combiner box (using two Zamp, two into 1 splitters). Also have a 200 w Zamp legacy portable with its own 15 amp PWM controller. Zamp has confirmed that they will work together just fine. Seems like it would be better (as some have suggested) to run everything through the Victron controller. Seems pretty simple to rewire around the PWM controller and add to the Victron which has spare capacity. What benefit if any would I derive? Also, would I splice the 12 ga portable conductors into the 8 ga prewire with a, say 6 ga exit wire or simply stuff the 12 ga and 8 ga into the screw lugs in the Victron?
Thanks
Kenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 02:39 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Angeles , Washington
I’m in a similar process. I have a 300 soon to be 400w system running to a Victron. I also have an older Zamp 80w portable that has stopped working I want to use to supplement the system. After some research I decided to install a Renogy wanderer (10a PWM) in my trailer. This way my run from the new charge controller to the batteries will be short and I can have a longer run from the portable panel to the trailer. By having the controller close to the batteries I can have a longer run in order to get the panel out to where the sun might be with less “wire loss”. The Wanderer was cheap and will work with lithiums. I don’t think the old controller on the portable panel would be compatible with lithiums plus the controller didn’t seem to work.
We’ll turns out the old controller does work. The output wires from the controller were corroded and broken. I installed solar couplers from the old attached controller and from the back of the panel. Now I can use the portable with the old controller to any other battery I may want, or run the portable(bypassing the old controller) to the new Wanderer in the trailer to assist in solar production there.
Like I say the new controller was so cheap it just seemed to give me more options rather than going into my existing Victron.
Llittle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 03:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

North AL , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzo View Post
What benefit if any would I derive? Also, would I splice the 12 ga portable conductors into the 8 ga prewire with a, say 6 ga exit wire or simply stuff the 12 ga and 8 ga into the screw lugs in the Victron?
Thanks
I think the biggest benefit is that you'll be running the portable through a MPPT controller. That should boost efficiency. You'd also be simplifying the system. As far as combining the wires, I'd terminate both sides with a quality ring, combine them on something like a power post, and then run a new wire from the post to the MPPT.

I did something similar, however my 150/35 was pretty close to maxed out with my roof panels. I added a Smart Solar 75/15 MPPT under the bed dedicated to the Zamp port just for my portables. The 150/35 has the BT Dongle, so theoretically the Victron software is coordinating everything.
Tyler2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 05:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
I was considering running my portable panels through my Renogy roof panel controller. I asked Renogy about doing it and they said that they do not recommend mixing solar panels into one controller. I was going to get another Renogy MPPT controller, then I found a 300 Watt controller by Powerwerx that was only $55 that looked like it would work.
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 09:12 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
One of the benefits of the Zamp Obsidian portable sets is that you can use them Controlled (with the Controller they provide with the set), or Uncontrolled (i.e. connected directly to the MPPT controller in the Airstream.)

Cheers,

Bryan
blacklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 12:00 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Fullerton , California
Kenzo,

On my Caravel 16, I combined my Zamp roof panels (180w total, Legacy and Obsidian) with my two 100w external Zamp Obsidian panels via a Blue Sea switch (positives to switch, negatives combined via a separate ground post) and then to the Victron 150/35 Bluetooth controller.

The advantages of adding the Blue Sea switch:
1. I can monitor the roof panels or portables separately to diagnose issues, and obviously see combined via app.
2. I can turn off the solar system during long term storage after lithium batteries are fully charged, or any other time if/when maintenance is needed.
3. No potential conflict between separate solar controllers.

Hope this helps

Bob
NeahBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 01:00 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Escondido , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzo View Post
2019 27' FB: Four rooftop Zamp Obsidian 100 w into Victron 100/50 controller using 8 ga factory prewire/combiner box (using two Zamp, two into 1 splitters). Also have a 200 w Zamp legacy portable with its own 15 amp PWM controller. Zamp has confirmed that they will work together just fine. Seems like it would be better (as some have suggested) to run everything through the Victron controller. Seems pretty simple to rewire around the PWM controller and add to the Victron which has spare capacity. What benefit if any would I derive? Also, would I splice the 12 ga portable conductors into the 8 ga prewire with a, say 6 ga exit wire or simply stuff the 12 ga and 8 ga into the screw lugs in the Victron?
Thanks
I do that by running in parallel the 400 watts on the roof and 400 on the ground. The problem you run into is if the panels voltage doesn't match you won't get peak performance. It will always run at the lower voltage panel so if you roof panels are 24 volts and your ground deploy is 17 volts, you won't get peak performance out of the rooftop solar.
dsatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 06:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeahBay View Post
Kenzo,

On my Caravel 16, I combined my Zamp roof panels (180w total, Legacy and Obsidian) with my two 100w external Zamp Obsidian panels via a Blue Sea switch (positives to switch, negatives combined via a separate ground post) and then to the Victron 150/35 Bluetooth controller.

The advantages of adding the Blue Sea switch:
1. I can monitor the roof panels or portables separately to diagnose issues, and obviously see combined via app.
2. I can turn off the solar system during long term storage after lithium batteries are fully charged, or any other time if/when maintenance is needed.
3. No potential conflict between separate solar controllers.

Hope this helps

Bob
That is an excellent way to do it. Wish I knew about that before getting my second MPPT controller. Still learning all the ins and outs about solar.
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote