Old 11-15-2017, 10:01 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Petaluma , California
Basic solar power wiring question

Good Morning,

We recently bought a 95 Sovereign and it has a solar panel installed. I'm in the process of installing wood flooring and I found 2 smaller wires (one black and one red) that aren't attached to anything that have a label saying they are for solar. They are located in the front of the trailer near the converter and batteries. Does anyone know what these wires should be connected to?

My trailer has the Siemens 20 Amp controller as well. Not sure that makes a difference.

Thanks
cgseanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgseanp View Post
Good Morning,

We recently bought a 95 Sovereign and it has a solar panel installed. I'm in the process of installing wood flooring and I found 2 smaller wires (one black and one red) that aren't attached to anything that have a label saying they are for solar. They are located in the front of the trailer near the converter and batteries. Does anyone know what these wires should be connected to?

My trailer has the Siemens 20 Amp controller as well. Not sure that makes a difference.

Thanks
They could be anything. The only real way of knowing is to trace them back to their source and destination. Then you might have a better idea. Also, what wire size are they? That is often a clue. You said smaller, but smaller is relative. I doubt that the solar install is factory so whatever you have has been added later.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:30 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Petaluma , California
Well I attempted to follow those red and black wires but lost them so couldn’t tell where they led to. They were a size 12.

On a side note, my 20amp solar controller panel kept blowing the fuse.. like instantly as soon as I pooped it in. I pulled the face plate off and realized the wires that go to the trailer battery were installed backwards! The volt display on the panel were reading something weird like 196 and as soon as I swapped the wires it now says 13.xx and it actually shows the batteries are charging..
Old 11-16-2017, 07:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
In the your first post you mentioned that the wires were not connected? So one end is not connected and the other end goes somewhere? You also mentioned that you had a solar panel installed. How is that connected? Or is it not?

I'm glad you got the other issue resolved. It sounds like whoever you got the trailer from had no idea on wiring. Which is usually a bad sign on everything else. Sometimes it is best to start over if you want the solar to function properly.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:05 AM   #5
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
12 awg is really not large enough for solar panels. Voltage drop becomes a problem when we need every electron.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:25 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
In the your first post you mentioned that the wires were not connected? So one end is not connected and the other end goes somewhere? You also mentioned that you had a solar panel installed. How is that connected? Or is it not?

I'm glad you got the other issue resolved. It sounds like whoever you got the trailer from had no idea on wiring. Which is usually a bad sign on everything else. Sometimes it is best to start over if you want the solar to function properly.
Sorry for the confusion. I found 2 wires, a red and black, that weren’t connected to anything near the converter, and on those wires was a piece of tape that someone wrote “solar panel” on. Now, those wires may be connected at the other end, but I wasn’t able to trace the wires out because I lost them under a cabinet.

Now, when I pulled off the solar controller panel, it had 4 wires on the back. 2 that come directly from the panel, and then 2 that go directly to the battery. These wires are totally separate from the black and red that I found disconnected.

With that being said, any idea what those 2 red and black wires could have been for?

I know there could be many different things, I’m just trying to figure out the “options” which may help me figure out what they are for. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-16-2017, 09:50 AM   #7
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
A former solar panel maybe?
Old 11-16-2017, 10:08 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Redding , California
maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgseanp View Post
Sorry for the confusion. I found 2 wires, a red and black, that weren’t connected to anything near the converter, and on those wires was a piece of tape that someone wrote “solar panel” on. Now, those wires may be connected at the other end, but I wasn’t able to trace the wires out because I lost them under a cabinet.

Now, when I pulled off the solar controller panel, it had 4 wires on the back. 2 that come directly from the panel, and then 2 that go directly to the battery. These wires are totally separate from the black and red that I found disconnected.

With that being said, any idea what those 2 red and black wires could have been for?

I know there could be many different things, I’m just trying to figure out the “options” which may help me figure out what they are for. Thanks for the help!
a quick check would be to check it for voltage. If it is hooked up then you would get charge. if not... a wild guess would be some sort of voltage meter. you might check the control center to see if it terminates there. small gauge like that might be a switch or meter. just an idea.
Leadvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
As noted check for voltage at the exposed ends first. Hopefully nothing and then just ignore it. If you get voltage there are only a few places to tap into 12 Volt....dist'n panels, breakers, batteries etc. all of which should be fairly easy to look into for the same wires. (I had a portable 7 watt with controller and it had 12 gauge stranded wires; red and black; with special plugs for various uses. I used to plug it into one of the 12 Volt receptacles)
JCW
I'm thinking maybe someone had a portable panel wired,buried under what ever flooring was originally there pre-installation of your flooring, since it is at the front of the trailer where you would normally mount a portable array and feed wiring to the battery
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:37 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Surry , Virginia
Probably not a factory solar in 95. Maybe the installer made separate connections and not the pre-wired connectors.
NukeSubSailr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Could of even been for a battery monitor. At this point it could be anything. Bottom line is don't just leave it alone. Take some heat shrink tubing (harbor freight if you can't find it) and shrink it on each wire so that there is a 1/2 inch over the end to seal the end. Then shrink a piece over both of them. Pull it back to under a cabinet and tie wrap it in place. That way you know you are safe if somehow this wire ever gets energized by mistake.