Old 08-09-2020, 03:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Any downside to Victron 100/30 use???

Say I buy a Victron 100/30 charge controller and install when I only have 180W of solar, but have intention of having 360W of solar (thus the 30 amps Victron). Then I decide not to go with the additional 180W solar and just buy small quiet inverter generator to top off batteries before nightfall. Is there any technical downside (not the fact I spent a little extra $$) to having the Victron 100/30 if I only have 180W of solar?
stephen

smsasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
it will work

that max amp is 30A.

waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
No downside. The controller will happily work properly with the panels you have.

I have a similar MPPT controller thatís capable of much more, and it works just fine with only 150 watts worth of panel. Itís loafing, but it runs a bit cooler this way.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Howdy!

There is no problem with using a Victron controller that is rated above your solar pane load. I do this quite often with no ill effects.

Have fun!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Corona , California

And there is the final definitive answer from the acknowledged expert!

Nice to see you around, Lew! Hope you are doing well. Stay safe, brother!
Old 08-09-2020, 05:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hi Rich!

Doing well now! The first couple of months were quite a challenge, as I was in the hospital for 3 weeks with a variety of ailments (NOT COVID related though). Thanks for your concern.

I should be back on these Forums now for a while!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2020, 05:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Corona , California

So glad to hear it! I managed to break the heck out of my right ankle in early March, but Iím back on my feet again and doing fairly well. Was lucky to find a very good Orthopedic trauma surgeon!

I still owe you a cup of coffee when we bump into each other somewhere. Let me know if you are in the Southern California region around Los Angeles area sometime!
Old 08-09-2020, 06:25 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Thanks to all for the confirmation there will be no technical issues. Much appreciated. I can buy with confidence now.
stephen
Old 08-10-2020, 08:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
So glad to hear it! I managed to break the heck out of my right ankle in early March, but Iím back on my feet again and doing fairly well. Was lucky to find a very good Orthopedic trauma surgeon!

I still owe you a cup of coffee when we bump into each other somewhere. Let me know if you are in the Southern California region around Los Angeles area sometime!
Will do!
Old 08-10-2020, 09:46 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Here's the math:

30A @ 14V = 420W

That's enough to reasonably handle 400W of panels You should be fine with anything that sized or less ( down to and including a 20W panel ...).

What happens if you go to 5 panels? Not a lot. If and when they get enough sun to give you more than 30A, you will be limited at the 30A point. Nothing catches fire. Nothing self destructs.

You *do* want the version with the built in Bluetooth ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:12 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Bacliff , TX
That Victron will last a lifetime. Get the bluetooth doogle and you can view the performance at anytime via your phone or iPad.

Couple of benefits is you can always increase your solar capacity. With solar efficiency technology advances, you may be able sometime in the next 5-10 years replace the panel you have with a higher capacity panel and the same footprint.

Also, this is MPPT lithium compatible. Should you upgrade to lithium batteries the next time your lead acid/AGM batteries die, you simply change the settings and you are good to go.
jimdelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:07 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1985 34' Excella
Victoria Harbour , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdelane View Post
That Victron will last a lifetime. Get the bluetooth doogle and you can view the performance at anytime via your phone or iPad.

Couple of benefits is you can always increase your solar capacity. With solar efficiency technology advances, you may be able sometime in the next 5-10 years replace the panel you have with a higher capacity panel and the same footprint.

Also, this is MPPT lithium compatible. Should you upgrade to lithium batteries the next time your lead acid/AGM batteries die, you simply change the settings and you are good to go.
According to the Victron product information I saw, no dongle is required to access the 100/30 from Apple or Android phones.
nevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevans View Post
According to the Victron product information I saw, no dongle is required to access the 100/30 from Apple or Android phones.
Correct. The latest versions have BlueTooth built-in.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:23 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Victron MPPT 100/30 Purchased

... along with the battery temperature monitor and two cut-off switches.
Thanks again for all the advice. Need to get it installed, with help from my electrical/power controllers technical son, before I strike out for 30-60 days later this month. Stephen
Old 08-10-2020, 10:39 PM   #15
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
lewster, glad to hear you are back.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:15 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Bacliff , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
Correct. The latest versions have BlueTooth built-in.
I love these advances in modern technology. Soon all manufacturers will get on the bandwagon and have bluetooth apps. I still have the old lithium compatible Victron with dongle - before they integrated. Had it for a long time. Victron products are expensive and have a lot of bells and whistles that I never use. It is nice to have all those bells and whistles, even if I do not use them.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:20 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Bacliff , TX
It is advised that you put a cut-off switch between your solar and your charge controller. I like the inline breakers. Easy to install and push button disconnect. If you disconnect the battery for any reason and the solar is on, you can burn out the charge controller.

eg: Marine Grade Inline 12V 50A Power Circuit Breaker manual reset
https://www.ebay.com/i/324193437060?...IaAqD-EALw_wcB
Old 08-11-2020, 07:41 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
lewster, glad to hear you are back.
guskmg
Thanks Gus!
Old 08-11-2020, 07:43 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdelane View Post
It is advised that you put a cut-off switch between your solar and your charge controller. I like the inline breakers. Easy to install and push button disconnect. If you disconnect the battery for any reason and the solar is on, you can burn out the charge controller.

eg: Marine Grade Inline 12V 50A Power Circuit Breaker manual reset
https://www.ebay.com/i/324193437060?...IaAqD-EALw_wcB
A bit confused here. I have a marine cutoff switch AFTER the controller. The controller can be shut off via the app. Why would that damage the controller???

And welcome back, Lew!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:16 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
A bit confused here. I have a marine cutoff switch AFTER the controller. The controller can be shut off via the app. Why would that damage the controller???

And welcome back, Lew!
Thanks Rich,

On to the question; I place an appropriately sized circuit breaker BEFORE the solar controller and a 300 amp Blue Sea cut-off switch AFTER the solar controller. This allows you to isolate the controller if you have any problems that require either repair or replacement.