Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2016, 06:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Age is catching up...time for a pair of EU2000i's

When we purchased our Bambi in 2012, I began researching generator threads here. I made the choice of the Honda EU3000is for a number of reasons...it's being the quietest generator available amongst those!
At 215 pounds, 6'3" and in the last year of my 40's, I felt that the 150 pounds with a full tank was workable...I knew that I'd have trouble lifting it at some point but, I so loved that generator...
I've recently been working through a bout of tendinitis in my hip, orthopedic Dr, physical therapy etc, when I mentioned lifting the generator to the physical therapist...you'd have thought I'd admitted to all of the sins of the Old Testament at once!
After being reminded that I am no longer 20 years old, I was instructed to forget about lifting that kind of weight for recreation. Not if I wanted to avoid more physical therapy.
Anyway, I knew this day was coming and as much as I loved that generator (powerful and quiet!) I lifted it one final time into the back of my F-150 and drove it to the local Honda dealer to negotiate a trade... Hey, in spite of what my wife might say, I do as I'm told!

An hour later I came home with a pair of EU2000i generators, still in their box (my request, I trust almost no one to do my mechanical chores). One is the Companion, the other the base model. Oil, fuel and one pull later they were up and running. Not as quiet as the 3000 but still incredibly quiet and so light!

On a parting note, the 3000 did have its revenge, I had to pick it up one final time, no real issues doing that in four years and I "tweaked" my hip again!

Guess it was not a second too soon to trade it in!

Now to finish up the annual maintenance and on to Florida to find a place to give those new generators a real test!
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Take Care Bruce! Hope you all enjoy the warm weather. Sounds like good therapy to me!

Katy, Tex and Wags
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
So THATS who BugsBunny is! 😃

We could make this an NEU thread 😃

Bruce - I talked with a company in MA about converting my Hondas (we have the 2000 and companion) to propane - we want to run them off our 30# tanks. They are fairly easy to lift/move - never had the 3000 to compare...

Good luck with the hip! Have fun in FL!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Hi Steve
We have a pair of 30 pound tanks too...
I only know that propane will reduce the output of the generator a bit and that engines run fairly clean on propane.
I'll probably wait a bit as warranty is voided but it is an intriguing idea!
BB
Old 01-14-2016, 04:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Yup. Sometimes one reaches the point quote, i cant do this sh,,t anymore unquote. Then we adapt as you did. Good job.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hey, Bruce!

Good to see you back on here!

Have a safe and enjoyable trip south, maybe stop at Alumalina on your way back?

Maggie
Old 01-14-2016, 06:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Although I'm only 55, since getting the AS, I have been preparing for retirement style travel and when I think through a mod , TV purchase, accessory, etc. I have been thinking of the progression of limited physical abilities and buying with that as a decision factor. I figure if I wait till something becomes difficult, I may not be able to afford a swap out of a "mistake" when income becomes limited.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Now that you've already traded it...

On my trip last summer I met a SOB owner who went into a drool fest when he saw my Airstream and while I was touring his trailer - a bigger Scamp, it was obvious he was into deep boondocking.

Then he showed me the bed of his pickup truck, complete with a Honda 3000, a heavy duty ramp and a winch mounted to the forward wall of the truck bed. He said he started out with an ordinary "come along" but had gotten lazy after he injured a shoulder and elbow in an accident.

He had built a custom cover for the bed - sort of a modified utility bed that hid and secured the generator, and had an attachable chimney so that he could run the generator on the bed, even with the lid closed.

Why do we always exult over how many ways there are to skin a cat when alternatives for other important stuff are more useful?
Old 01-14-2016, 07:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Paula, I also use a wench for my scooter. Used to just run it up the ramps, but realized it just a matter of time before something goes very wrong. Little ATV 2000# wenches are cheap and fabbing the portable wiring and mounting is easy. It sure would work for a gennie or any other heavy object as well. However, be careful using the center of the front bed wall. It isn't reinforced for a terribly heavy horizontal load. I use the stake pockets or the sidewall tie downs with a pulley at the front of the scooter strap. This also cuts the pull speed in half and makes for a more controlled ascent/ descent.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-14-2016, 08:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I've pretty much given up on the idea of anything larger than a 2000w generator. Had laminectomy surgery in 2000 and don't want to go through that again. If our future needs require the AC to be powered I'll buy the companion.

Kelvin
Old 01-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Thanks for letting us know we're not alone!

I'm an active almost 59 years old, and I'm in denial that my body wants me to slowdown - but after 3 knee surgeries, 3 herniated disks and 3 fused neck vertebra (I had an "active" youth) I am also leaning towards a smaller generator.

The Yamaha 2400 I really want is "only" ~75 lbs; the 2000 is 44 lbs - big difference!

I do think I'm going to go tri-fuel and run off the LP tanks to avoid gas cans and the extra 7 lbs of gas in the generator.
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Spelling/grammar police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Paula, I also use a wench for my scooter. Used to just run it up the ramps, but realized it just a matter of time before something goes very wrong. Little ATV 2000# wenches are cheap and fabbing the portable wiring and mounting is easy. It sure would work for a gennie or any other heavy object as well. However, be careful using the center of the front bed wall. It isn't reinforced for a terribly heavy horizontal load. I use the stake pockets or the sidewall tie downs with a pulley at the front of the scooter strap. This also cuts the pull speed in half and makes for a more controlled ascent/ descent.
I am loathe to correct spelling or grammar variations on anyone else's post - because I am not without sin. However sometimes it's just funny....

WENCH - Paula might be classified as one, but don't call her one unless you're very good friends
WINCH - a device consisting of gears and rope, wire rope or chains - which uses a motor or hand crank to lift and/or move objects

So do be very careful using your WENCH in the center of the front bed wall!
Old 01-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
OOOPS!...now, how 'bout another cup of ale?"

Old 01-14-2016, 01:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Bruce B-
Sorry to hear that you had to replace the 3000is with a pair of 2000's. I am sure you will adapt to the difference in sound. We started with one EU2000 with our Bambi but had to go to the pair of 2000's when we upped the power needed for a longer unit / AC... but finally opted for the quietness and electric start of the 3000iS. I suppose that we will eventually have to go back to the pair of 2000's just as you have because my body is already aging. I am just 67 ... wonder how many years I have left before the change back to the 2000's is needed - because as some have pointed out - financial considerations jump up on us... even if we wench ...er wrench ... errrrrrr, winch around.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:28 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Yorba Linda , California
Saw that writing on the wall some time ago (64yo). I purchased the Yamaha 2000s. Enjoy the 45 lbs to lift. Only carry the companion during the summer to start the AC. Great product. Very quiet. Starts in 1 pull (Thank goodness).

Best of luck with your hip. Save it for the FUN STUFF!!
Old 01-14-2016, 03:30 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
"I so loved that generator..."
Got a chuckle out of that one....while feeling your pain at the same time. Its amazing how we get attached to items that did the job for us over a period of time. When we traded in our first truck, my 10 year old daughter and I were sitting on the lot in tears. She asked "Dad, why do we get so attached to inanimate objects?"...I was too amazed that she knew that word, so have no idea what I said next. But have a safe trip down to Florida, and enjoy the sunshine state. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Something like this might help with the lifting.

1/2 Ton Capacity Pickup Truck Crane
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I considered a crane, or a pulley system, ramps, etc...
In the end I knew that although I am strong enough to lift it, my back would ultimately pay the price...

The sound of the 2000's is indeed "different" than the 3000is, a bit buzzy... I used them today while working on the trailer to run the heater strip, with the a/c on (heat today), the sound of the generators is easily masked by the sound of the air inside the Bambi. It's my fellow campers who will hear them!

On the plus side, they start incredibly easily and moving them around is effortless! I think my spine will thank me.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsgolf View Post
Thanks for letting us know we're not alone!

I'm an active almost 59 years old, and I'm in denial that my body wants me to slowdown - but after 3 knee surgeries, 3 herniated disks and 3 fused neck vertebra (I had an "active" youth) I am also leaning towards a smaller generator.

The Yamaha 2400 I really want is "only" ~75 lbs; the 2000 is 44 lbs - big difference!

I do think I'm going to go tri-fuel and run off the LP tanks to avoid gas cans and the extra 7 lbs of gas in the generator.

Hi, at 70 I can still lift my Yamaha 2400, but that's probably my limit. Wife reminded me that our Yamaha has two handles, so that's about 35 lbs each. I mount mine in the bed of my truck and can run it there, so I won't be lifting too often.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote