Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2020, 01:19 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

Munford , Tennessee
I wouldn't screw the panels into the roof. Make 4X6X1/4 aluminum plates predrilled and countersink 1/4-20 X 1 inch stainless bolts that match the footprint of the mounting adapters. Cover plate and bolt heads with 3M 5952 VHB tape (available on eBay in sheets). Mount to roof and then cover edges with Dicor or Silkaflex. I found a seller on eBay that had the plates for sale. You might not find the exact size but if you find something like 4X12 ask the seller if they will cut in half. I found a seller for another project that didn't charge extra to cut.

Cut a slot in the end of the bolts in case you need to keep them from turning when tightening the nuts. I put the tape on the bottom of the plates a couple days before I mounted to the roof and my bolts didn't turn. I'm not sure of the days sitting helped but it does take a few days for the tape to "cure".

EDIT: Be sure the mounting plate is EXACTLY where it needs to be before sticking to the roof. Once stuck, you will not get it off. Well you could get it off I think with some nylon fishing line sawed between the roof and aluminum plate but the tape would definitely not be reusable. It's amazing how well this tape sticks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar Panel Plate.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	361016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Panel Foot w:o Nuts.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	361017  

RV2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:27 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
8awg Solar Prewire, now what?

I must admit I have no problem mounting solar panel feet directly to the roof using VHB 3-M tape and caulking/sealing the tape from damage with Sikaflex or the like.

Because my panels have aluminum frames, and I also have ham radio transmitting antennas close by on the roof, I have found it necessary to drill holes and use Rivnuts or Olympic rivets to very tightly electrically bond the panels and feet to the roof structure for RF safety. Getting RF into the solar system is not a great idea. I dislike getting zapped as well.

In most normal cases using VHB tape and sealant is more than sufficient to keep the panels on the roof.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:50 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV2019 View Post
I wouldn't screw the panels into the roof. Make 4X6X1/4 aluminum plates predrilled and countersink 1/4-20 X 1 inch stainless bolts that match the footprint of the mounting adapters. Cover plate and bolt heads with 3M 5952 VHB tape (available on eBay in sheets). Mount to roof and then cover edges with Dicor or Silkaflex. I found a seller on eBay that had the plates for sale. You might not find the exact size but if you find something like 4X12 ask the seller if they will cut in half. I found a seller for another project that didn't charge extra to cut.

Cut a slot in the end of the bolts in case you need to keep them from turning when tightening the nuts. I put the tape on the bottom of the plates a couple days before I mounted to the roof and my bolts didn't turn. I'm not sure of the days sitting helped but it does take a few days for the tape to "cure".

EDIT: Be sure the mounting plate is EXACTLY where it needs to be before sticking to the roof. Once stuck, you will not get it off. Well you could get it off I think with some nylon fishing line sawed between the roof and aluminum plate but the tape would definitely not be reusable. It's amazing how well this tape sticks.

I love it! I planned on doing something similar to compensate for the small footprint of the 'curved' Renogy mounts I purchased.
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 01:11 PM   #44
1 Rivet Member

Covington , LA
What’s the best way to find the pre wires on the roof? 2022 27 GT FBT. I have heard behind the rear fantastic fan.
BF_Brewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 02:14 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2018 16' Sport
1962 22' Safari
Corvallis , Oregon
It should be near the "rats nest", where all the rest of the power comes (by the power convertor usually. Not up in the ceiling. They are yellow and green wire with labels, loose, next to the rest of the wiring. Check the wiring diagram for your trailer, that should point you to the place in the trailer too. Good luck!
WBCCI #7944
skitger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 05:30 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV2019 View Post

This RV looks like the roof of a Leisure?
Last Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 04:47 AM   #47
1 Rivet Member

Covington , LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitger View Post
It should be near the "rats nest", where all the rest of the power comes (by the power convertor usually. Not up in the ceiling. They are yellow and green wire with labels, loose, next to the rest of the wiring. Check the wiring diagram for your trailer, that should point you to the place in the trailer too. Good luck!
I found them in the rats nest. I’m trying to locate the other end on the roof. Any tips or tricks?
BF_Brewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:08 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2018 16' Sport
1962 22' Safari
Corvallis , Oregon
I had a 2018 and they put a Zamp box on the roof, so sorry, no good advice on the roof, I had also hear they were next to the fan. You may want to post a question on Solar Show and Tell thread and see if anyone has experience.
WBCCI #7944
skitger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:08 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
On my 2016 27 FB, they are coiled up near the front fantastic fan.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:53 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Can you see them behind the fridge running up the wall in the corner?
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 08:41 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF_Brewing View Post
What’s the best way to find the pre wires on the roof? 2022 27 GT FBT. I have heard behind the rear fantastic fan.
On newer large trailers like yours the solar pre wire goes from a gland on the roof to the rats nest of DC wires near the front passenger side. That’s usually under a bed or under a seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1F19078F-8912-4E0F-885B-A30CABDC3EB9.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	555.9 KB
ID:	407631  
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote