Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2018, 09:17 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Gig Harbor , Washington
2018 Bambi prewired Zamp outlets don't appear to work

We largely boondock so solar power is key for us. We initially purchased a portable solar panel which we connect through the prewired Zamp connection on the trailer tongue. This works great, plug and play.

We decided to install a 100 Watt panel on the roof as well to aid with charging while we travel. This panel did not come with a Zamp connector so I purchased a Zamp adapter for it. Using my multimeter I am showing good output directly from the new panel wiring as well as from the Zamp adapter itself but when I plug it into any of the three rooftop Zamp connections it is not providing any power to the Bambi.

Any ideas? These connections should be plug and pay correct, I don't need to take any additional steps to activate them do I?

Thanks for any ideas!
rossdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:40 PM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Zamp panels are wired opposite to most other panels. I needed a Zamp ‘crossover‘ plug to get non Zamp to work.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:03 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' International
Lincoln , Nebraska
Did your trailer have a factory solar system installed? If not, you need to locate the other end of the solar pre wiring, install a solar charge controller and connect it to the positive bus bar.

The portable probably has a built in solar controller, so it works.

Happy trails,
Mike
marter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:25 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Gig Harbor , Washington
Thanks

Adapter does the reversing of power automatically but I'm pretty sure the solar charge controller hit the nail on the head, thanks!
rossdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:29 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Park City , Utah
you need to install a controller, and hook up the prewiring to the controller, and the battery terminal. you can find the prewiring (and battery terminal) under the dinette seat. the solar wires are green and yellow. there's a wood panel under the seat that you can attach the controller to (without drilling into the skin of the trailer). look at the attached pic. feel free to contact me if you need more info.

the pic is of the install on my 16er. if you're going to do it yourself be sure that the controller is hooked to the battery first, before hooking up the panel (or just keep the panel unplugged on top of the trailer until everything is wired)

best!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solar wiring.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	326778  
slackerchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossdn View Post
Adapter does the reversing of power automatically but I'm pretty sure the solar charge controller hit the nail on the head, thanks!

So did you not have a factory solar controller?

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:39 AM   #7
Something Shiny

2017 27' International
Mosinee , Wisconsin
Use of roof mount and portable solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossdn View Post
We largely boondock so solar power is key for us. We initially purchased a portable solar panel which we connect through the prewired Zamp connection on the trailer tongue. This works great, plug and play.

We decided to install a 100 Watt panel on the roof as well to aid with charging while we travel. This panel did not come with a Zamp connector so I purchased a Zamp adapter for it. Using my multimeter I am showing good output directly from the new panel wiring as well as from the Zamp adapter itself but when I plug it into any of the three rooftop Zamp connections it is not providing any power to the Bambi.

Any ideas? These connections should be plug and pay correct, I don't need to take any additional steps to activate them do I?

Thanks for any ideas!
Our 2017 International Serenity 27B was built with 160 watts of factory solar. It also has the Zamp portable connector on the A-frame. Unfortunately, as configured by the factory, our portable 160 watt Amp unit will not work in conjunction with the roof mounted solar.

The two units' controllers detect each other and they both shut down. After extensive research through Zamp, Airstream, and the dealership, it was concluded that the only way to make the roof and portable units work together was to add a second plug for the portable unit. This plug has been fished through the external refrigeration side vent for connection to the portable unit. Wiring then runs up through the roof vent and then connects to the roof mounted 3-connector solar plug, which is also where the 2 roof mounted solar panels are also connected. You will then have to bypass the portable Zamp controller. In this case, I've simply used a Zamp extension cable, which will plug directly into the 160 watt portable unit wiring. (I purchased 2 Zamp extension cables, which allows for more ease in positioning the portable unit to hit sunlight in shady campsites. Zamp only recommends use of a 1 extension cable, but you will not be using the portable units' own cable when you bypass the controller. This results in total cable length being the same as specified by Zamp with a single extension cable.

This configuration does work. While it makes no sense that the A-frame plug will not support a portable unit with factory installed roof solar, Airstream corporate services confirmed that this was their recommended solution.
ProPride hitch, 1400#
2018 Ford F250 Platinum 6.7L Diesel
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:48 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Bellefontaine , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackerchef View Post
you need to install a controller, and hook up the prewiring to the controller, and the battery terminal. you can find the prewiring (and battery terminal) under the dinette seat. the solar wires are green and yellow. there's a wood panel under the seat that you can attach the controller to (without drilling into the skin of the trailer). look at the attached pic. feel free to contact me if you need more info.

the pic is of the install on my 16er. if you're going to do it yourself be sure that the controller is hooked to the battery first, before hooking up the panel (or just keep the panel unplugged on top of the trailer until everything is wired)

best!

How many watts is the solar panel on your 16er with that charge controller?
splat matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:24 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Park City , Utah

the pic is of the install on my 16er. if you're going to do it yourself be sure that the controller is hooked to the battery first, before hooking up the panel (or just keep the panel unplugged on top of the trailer until everything is wired).

I have 2 panels on my 16er, an 80w and a 50w (panels must be within .7v to use together)

best!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3488.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	360294  
slackerchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
mismatched solar panels cant be put in parallel, series is ok

to use multiple mismatched panels, each needs its own solar controller
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
mismatched solar panels cant be put in parallel, series is ok

to use multiple mismatched panels, each needs its own solar controller
Here's a great explanation of mixing solar panels: https://solarpanelsvenue.com/mixing-solar-panels/
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:29 PM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The typical "Zamp Connector" on your typical Airstream ( the one by the battery box) is nothing more than a couple of wires to the battery. There is no charge controller there is nothing "solar" about it. Just wires (and a fuse) to the battery. Whatever you hook to those wires needs to be able to deal with a battery. A solar panel by it's self will not / can not do this.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote