Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #121
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Ice Man,
Glad to see the article in Blue Beret. Although, it seems that the service dept. at JC doesn't feel the same about it. I went to the service shop at JC in October of 2017 with my EastStart in hand, for them to install it for me. They refused to touch it saying that they tried to install one recently and it didn't work and that they had to end up replacing the air conditioner out of A/S's pocket.
Hopefully, they figured out what they did wrong and will now install them. I drove to JC from TX to have them install mine. I was not very happy when the tech refused to do the work.
Originally, when I told Artie (service adviser) what I wanted done via phone and email all was fine till I drove there and it was time to do the work. I still have it in the box and hope to have it installed someday.

That is very disappointing to hear. It’s a very straight froward installation, there are only 4 wires. I’ve done it 3 times now.

Are you comfortable putting up a ladder and kneeling on your roof? If you are - there are plenty of us on the forum including Matteo who can walk you through the install. It takes about 30 minutes. You can do it!

Matteo has good instructions on how to install on a late model airstream AC (penguin II).

http://microair.net/main/products/ma...Penguin_II.pdf
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:57 AM   #122
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Atwood Air Command

Thinking out loud here and looking for feedback.

Would EZ Start work on Atwood Air Command ACs? Unless I find out some reason not to I think I am going to push the button and get one.

Atwood (bought by Dometic) has a 16K and an 18K. The comments I have heard is they are very quiet and electrically very efficient. They say you can run the 16K on one 2000 watt genny (at lower altitudes). so not sure if I really need the EZ Start

My 93 34 footer came from the factory with one 13.5K Penguin. It still works, but underpowered for a 34. The shroud is very brittle from the sun ($300 for a new shroud) and the drip pan has a recurring leak. I found out about the shroud when I went up to the roof to prep for a painting the roof with Bus Kote. 95% of the time I use the 34' with hookups. (I have a 25 footer for boondocking also with a 13.5 Penguin).

If the 18K works well on my 34' I may get a 16 K for my 25'' Tradewind down the road.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:18 AM   #123
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Deforest , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Pro - more cold air
Con - none
Too funny...
RxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:36 PM   #124
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Would EZ Start work on Atwood Air Command ACs?
Hi Lumatic. Yes, many EasyStarts have been installed into Atwood Air Command A/C units. I happened to install one myself into an Atwood during the 2017 WBCCI Airstream International Rally in Escanaba, MI. It worked very well.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:22 AM   #125
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Don't want to hijack this thread but after a few posts on Atwood Air Command Acs and the website claiming Air Command Acs are 16K and 18K I called up Atwood and this is what I found. (I posted this also as a separate thread)

I got all fired up reading on the Atwood site their Air Command air conditioners have "16k or 18k equivalent performance". I just called Atwood and they sounded confused. They said they only make 13.5 and a 15K air conditioners and 16k and 18k was a mistake they were going to bring to the attention of their marketing department. Anybody have the experience that the Air Command ACs are more efficient at cooling, or is this just a marketing ploy?
Old 03-10-2018, 04:44 AM   #126
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Honda EU2000i Finally Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro-Air View Post
Thanks for the condolences, Pteck. I think I'm over my pity party and ready to go on the attack again! Since I don't want to take this thread off track, I'm going to keep all of the gory details of my Honda power loss investigation in the other forum (thread link here). If and when I come up with a solution, I'll certainly share it here for everyone's benefit. BTW, the Honda EU2000i generator I'm working on was owned by an Airstream customer. I felt compelled to move ahead with this investigation since the 1 or 2% affected like Trailbob might benefit down the road.
As promised from way back in September, I wanted to let everyone know that I have finally fixed the Honda EU2000i generator that would only run an A/C on an Airstream for 3-5 minutes before losing RPM and output voltage to the point where the compressor would stall.

If your are interested, the details of all the (mis) diagnoses I carried out since May 2017 are documented in the power equipment forum referenced above. The root cause turned out to be a short in the stator winding that only manifested after 3-5 minutes of heating under full-load operation. This makes complete sense since the insulating material used on the copper windings of any stator does breakdown with age and heat (like the rest of us do too ). Once a short occurs, the load on the engine climbs since it is trying to drive a huge current load, a portion of which goes to the inverter module (normal portion), and the rest of which loops around internally in the stator only (faulty portion). Cooling off the stator reduces the short, allowing it to work properly again until the short re-emerges.

Sadly, I didn't find this until after changing just about EVERY part on this generator, but it was worth it to me. Hopefully, this documented odyssey into tearing down the Honda EU2000i benefits someone else out there. Now, what shall I do with a totally rebuilt EU2000i?...
Old 03-10-2018, 06:55 AM   #127
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Kiefer , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Thinking out loud here and looking for feedback.

Would EZ Start work on Atwood Air Command ACs? Unless I find out some reason not to I think I am going to push the button and get one.

Atwood (bought by Dometic) has a 16K and an 18K. The comments I have heard is they are very quiet and electrically very efficient. They say you can run the 16K on one 2000 watt genny (at lower altitudes). so not sure if I really need the EZ Start

My 93 34 footer came from the factory with one 13.5K Penguin. It still works, but underpowered for a 34. The shroud is very brittle from the sun ($300 for a new shroud) and the drip pan has a recurring leak. I found out about the shroud when I went up to the roof to prep for a painting the roof with Bus Kote. 95% of the time I use the 34' with hookups. (I have a 25 footer for boondocking also with a 13.5 Penguin).

If the 18K works well on my 34' I may get a 16 K for my 25'' Tradewind down the road.

Yes, it will work with the Atwood Air Command 13,500 or 15,000 btu with or without heat pump. Buy their touch thermostat too.
Floatingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:55 AM   #128
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
I guess I have 2 Honda eu2000 generators with shorted stators. Neither will run either of my 2 AC units more than 3 minutes.

Bruce
PD9160 converter, Prosine 1800 inverter
2x Victron 100/30 Smart Solar, Victron Smart Shunt
AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:17 PM   #129
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroBruce View Post
I guess I have 2 Honda eu2000 generators with shorted stators. Neither will run either of my 2 AC units more than 3 minutes.
Bruce - Try the "load bank" test I used so you don't have to contend with a stalling compressor and you can prove if you really have the problem. Use a hair dryer and another device that total to about 16.5A (~2000W). I used an HVAC vacuum pump (~6A) and a hair dryer (~10A) to produce about a 2000W load. Then, get one of these RPM/Hour meters that you can use later on as an hour meter for routine maintenance schedule (available at this link). The RPM meter is key to seeing whether or not you have the same problem I found. The Honda generator will go to 5000RPM (almost exactly) when it is providing 2000W. If the engine gets overloaded by a shorted stator, it will start to drop the RPM after about 3 minutes. The AC output voltage drops with it, so that is what ultimately ends up causing your A/C compressor to stall and quit. EasyStart detects that stall, and then waits 5 minutes before retrying another start. 5 minutes of unloading is typically enough for a shorted stator to cool off and not be shorted anymore.

Anyway, the point of the above load bank test is to use a more "controlled" load situation that doesn't suddenly shut off (i.e. a stalling compressor) that can withstand the drop in voltage and just keep running at a lower current. Good luck and let me know if you have any further questions!
Old 03-11-2018, 08:08 AM   #130
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:

Bruce
What's the actual "fix" if you have this issue? Or, is there a fix?

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #131
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro-Air View Post
As promised from way back in September, I wanted to let everyone know that I have finally fixed the Honda EU2000i generator that would only run an A/C on an Airstream for 3-5 minutes before losing RPM and output voltage to the point where the compressor would stall.

If your are interested, the details of all the (mis) diagnoses I carried out since May 2017 are documented in the power equipment forum referenced above. The root cause turned out to be a short in the stator winding that only manifested after 3-5 minutes of heating under full-load operation. This makes complete sense since the insulating material used on the copper windings of any stator does breakdown with age and heat (like the rest of us do too ). Once a short occurs, the load on the engine climbs since it is trying to drive a huge current load, a portion of which goes to the inverter module (normal portion), and the rest of which loops around internally in the stator only (faulty portion). Cooling off the stator reduces the short, allowing it to work properly again until the short re-emerges.

Sadly, I didn't find this until after changing just about EVERY part on this generator, but it was worth it to me. Hopefully, this documented odyssey into tearing down the Honda EU2000i benefits someone else out there. Now, what shall I do with a totally rebuilt EU2000i?...

Nice persistence! I am sure someone would buy it for the right price! Do you plan on selling it?
Old 03-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #132
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
What's the actual "fix" if you have this issue? Or, is there a fix?
The fix for the issue on the Honda EU2000i I was battling was the replacement of the stator winding (Honda P/N 31125Z07C31). One has to be very careful though and put forth the due diligence to eliminate all of the other possible causes since there are many other (higher probability) issues that could cause this sort of power loss symptom (e.g. fuel starvation, air starvation, spark issues, compression loss, in that order). I have only limited evidence to support the fact that this sort of stator issue could occur in Honda generators besides my own. However, my intuition and this 10-month experience tells me that such a stator fault could be more prevalent in the Honda EU2000i than owners and Honda would willing to admit to. The Honda EU2000i is a magnificent machine, built like a Swiss watch. 99% of its owners never have a single hiccup or issue with them. And although I can now disassemble one down to the piston rings blindfolded, I would not even remotely begin to claim that power loss after a few minutes or operation is due to an internally shorted stator winding. I therefore advise you carry out your own, full diagnosis before drawing any conclusions.

And so as to not hijack this thread any further, if anyone has any further questions about this Honda EU2000i troubleshooting effort, please PM me and I'll be glad to fill you in. Thank you.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:32 AM   #133
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
After reading most of the above posts.... I don’t believe the 2000 Honda will run the ac for very long...cheaper to run a larger generator....you can’t expect a little dog to do a big job for very long...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:28 AM   #134
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
After reading most of the above posts.... I don’t believe the 2000 Honda will run the ac for very long...cheaper to run a larger generator....you can’t expect a little dog to do a big job for very long...
I imagine we will know the accuracy of your beliefs pretty soon. Lots of folks with easy starts and Honda 2000s. I for one, don't want to haul a larger generator.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:44 AM   #135
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Quote:
Is all night long any indication of lasting power?
After Maria knocked out our power we slept in the Airstream with the A/C running on a Honda EU 2000 while it was also powering the house fridge. During the day it powered the fridge, a few fans, and the television. That little dog ran for three days straight and never skipped a beat.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:00 AM   #136
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
After Maria knocked out our power we slept in the Airstream with the A/C running on a Honda EU 2000 while it was also powering the house fridge. During the day it powered the fridge, a few fans, and the television. That little dog ran for three days straight and never skipped a beat.
That isn’t very long......
Old 03-14-2018, 08:20 PM   #137
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
Did you try running the A/C during the day with the temps 90 to 95 degrees?

Bruce
Old 03-15-2018, 05:31 AM   #138
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
I just Pre-ordered the NEW Honda 2200i (not 2000i) from Electric Generators Direct. Honda is delivering the newly-designed Honda to Dealers in April. The new Honda is the same size/weight as the old Honda but you get 200 extra watts (or more importantly 2 extra amps) of run power. I have an older model Yamaha that just won't keep the A/C on consistently before it faults out. I see that Camping World has the old Honda 2000i on sale to get rid of their stock.
glcmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:42 AM   #139
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Did you try running the A/C during the day with the temps 90 to 95 degrees?

Bruce
Yes I have , in an open field, 70-90 degrees, 4 days straight, with a $278 duro start, from amazon,same as the predator generator at harbor freight....4000 watt, 3500 continuous.....twice a year for 3 years...
Old 03-19-2018, 08:26 PM   #140
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Yes I have , in an open field, 70-90 degrees, 4 days straight, with a $278 duro start, from amazon,same as the predator generator at harbor freight....4000 watt, 3500 continuous.....twice a year for 3 years...
I presented my question to JMynes, who was using an eu2000i to power his air conditioner. There is no doubt your 3500 watt generator will power an air conditioner in any and all conditions.

Bruce

Tags