Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2016, 03:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
London , Ontario
Yet another LED replacement thread...

Greetings,

We're looking at replacing the bulbs in our 2004 30' Classic with LEDs. Looking at the bulbs, there are a few distinct types, and I'm not sure of the bulb/socket types so that I can source the right bulbs. I'm hoping others on the forums have replaced similar lights.

I've attached a few pics of the bulbs/lights for reference - my apologies for not getting them inline - I'm still trying to figure out the posting process! Numbering them across, then down for referencing. (edit - the pics are all showing in one long column now, numbered top to bottom).

The first bulbs I'm looking to replace are the ones in the outside storage compartments. I took one out, and it says '1141' on it. Googling around, I found these replacements. I chose 'cool white', and as low a light output as I can find, thinking that its only for storage compartments anyway - a couple hundred lumens should be fine. This is pic 1 at the upper left. I think these would be reasonable replacements:

GRV Ba15s 1156 1141 High Power Car LED Bulb 13-5050SMD DC12V Warm White Pack of 10

Most of the bulbs in my trailer have no bayonet fitting on the end - they're simply glass with a couple of wires extending and wrapped back around. I think the one in pic 2 came out of the 3 bulb 'chandelier' over our dinette (pics 5 and 6). I think these bulbs are referred to as '921'. Looking on Amazon for 921 bulbs, these look like reasonable replacements:

GRV T10 921 194 9-5050 SMD LED Bulb lamp High Bright Warm White DC 12V Pack of 10

The other bulbs (pic 3 and 4) from the reading light above our couch look to be the same 921 bulbs. Not sure if the led replacements are short enough. Wondering if the glass would get in the way.

The same is true for the reading light bulbs in the rear bedroom (pic 8), and the range bulb (pic 7). They both look like 921 fittings to me. Does anyone have any experience with these bulbs or light fixtures?

And last but not least, the fluorescents that are all over our coach. The bulbs are all F8T5/CW (pic 9). I saw what looked like drop in replacements, but the price is a lot more than I'm comfortable paying:

Revolution F8T5-12™ Tube - 400 Lumens

I've seen some other threads where folks are disconnecting the ballasts, and wiring directly in. That's a possibility provided the price is reasonable - but it would be nice if replacing the bulb didn't require disassembly of the light...

Thanks to everyone in advance for your help/advice/opinions!

Brawny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2201.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	261899   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2178.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	261900  

Name:	IMG_2193.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	261901   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2192.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	261902  

Name:	IMG_2194.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	261906   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2197.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	261907  

Name:	IMG_2198.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	261908   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2199.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	261909  

Name:	IMG_2179.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	261911  
Brawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:10 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Call Dan...

The lesson I learned..... buy quality the first time.

Bob
Old 05-04-2016, 07:32 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Call Dan...

The lesson I learned..... buy quality the first time.
Hi Bob,

I saw Dan's site, and his stuff looks good, but... how to put this politely... I'd need a second mortgage to replace everything with LEDs with his prices - and I'd be ordering from his Canadian company - Triad RV Parts which is even more dear.

Can you describe some of the issues you had sourcing the bulbs yourself so I can get an understanding of 'worst case' if the offshore parts from Amazon weren't up to par.

Appreciate your input!
Brawny
Brawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I replaced all of my lamps with units sourced from EBay or Amazon two years ago. Zero failures so far.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:01 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Just what I did....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawny View Post
Hi Bob,

I saw Dan's site, and his stuff looks good, but... how to put this politely... I'd need a second mortgage to replace everything with LEDs with his prices - and I'd be ordering from his Canadian company - Triad RV Parts which is even more dear.

Can you describe some of the issues you had sourcing the bulbs yourself so I can get an understanding of 'worst case' if the offshore parts from Amazon weren't up to par.

Appreciate your input!
Brawny
Brawny,

My reasons for switching to LED…extend off grid battery life and convenience.

The first two, the step light & scare light were sourced from Amazon, they lasted one Season.

LED4RV used from then on.

Cost control accomplished by selective application.

We replaced all interior incandescents, puck,(warm white), closet & stove,(bright)
Left the florescent fixtures as they are fairly efficient & the LED replacements $$$, plus we don’t use them all that much.

Next…all the exterior storage compartments & trunk,(bright)

The only other exterior lamps were the B/U lights,(bright), as we use those for camp illumination and the extra light backing is a big help.

I am not yet inclined to do the rest of the exteriors as none of the incandescents have burnt out yet.

POI....LED headlights have been a very good up-grade for our TV.
Superbright has been the only other source I've used

Bob
Old 05-05-2016, 06:53 AM   #6
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I replaced all my interior bulbs with LED bulbs from eBay. They cost about $1.50 each. I am satisfied with them.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:11 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Woodburn , Kentucky
LED Replacements

I replaced all of my interior bulbs with LED's except one. I used Amazon as my source and am quite pleased. The one I did not replace is due the my inability to find a LED that fits. I plan to replace the exterior bulbs but have yet to do so.

David Parker
1969 Sovereign 31'
1989 Dodge D-350
davidlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:39 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
I bought bulbs from DT-Autotech through ebay. It was a site someone else on here posted. 10 bulbs are $15.48 free shipping. If you buy 2 or more you save 10%. That makes them $1.39 each.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:41 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1999 27' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
Fountain Valley , California
These are what I replaced all my fixtures with (I liked changing fixtures rather than changing bulbs). I purchased them all through ebay. The screw holes were almost the same as the original lights.

Single purchase:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200748251242...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Double purchase:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200916191536...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

WindyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:14 PM   #10
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
LED4RV's LED's are over priced ten fold. They're china junk that you can get on ebay for usually 1/5th the price he charges for 1 LED. I bought them and compared them to several brands I sourced.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
I have yet to see an RV light I thought was "cool" or "pretty." Thus, I'm going to make my own. Sure I'll have a couple pucks, domes, and recessed lights, but for "feature" lights I would like something interesting. The problem I am running into is what socket to use. There seem to be a lot of 12v sockets, but no single standard and no obvious "best."

I know LED's are supposed to last "forever," but as we all know, they fail (it's more often the wiring in the bulb/fixture or something else, even thought the lights themselves are rated for 50,000 hours). I don't want to install lights that require replacing the entire light when they fail (I would like to just replace the bulb). LED 12v bulb replacements are expensive right now, but hopefully the price will continue to come down as they become the standard, so I just want to use a socket that will also remain in use.

What say ye, all?
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
I guess I just skipped over the obvious solution...

Evidently I can just use a regular Edison base but wire it to a 12v circuit and then use a 12v LED bulb like this: https://www.amazon.com/Projections-1...rds=12v+edison

A reminder for those who try this, you will need to remember (mark it!) the socket (which looks like a 120v socket) is wired for 12v and requires a 12v bulb.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:08 PM   #13
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Brawny,

My reasons for switching to LED…extend off grid battery life and convenience.

The first two, the step light & scare light were sourced from Amazon, they lasted one Season.

LED4RV used from then on.

Cost control accomplished by selective application.

We replaced all interior incandescents, puck,(warm white), closet & stove,(bright)
Left the florescent fixtures as they are fairly efficient & the LED replacements $$$, plus we don’t use them all that much.

Next…all the exterior storage compartments & trunk,(bright)

The only other exterior lamps were the B/U lights,(bright), as we use those for camp illumination and the extra light backing is a big help.

I am not yet inclined to do the rest of the exteriors as none of the incandescents have burnt out yet.

POI....LED headlights have been a very good up-grade for our TV.
Superbright has been the only other source I've used

Bob
What size LED's did you use for the puck lights? I've been looking for how many lumens the existing halogen lights emit but can't seem to find any information. I want to try to come close to the level of light coming from the halogens.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote