Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
Saint Charles , Missouri
Wiring Diagram

I purchased a 1974 31' Excella 500 which has been gutted on the inside. Previous owner cut a lot lot wires which in turn shut down everything. Seeing that it is gutted an I will be doing a complete new install, I am not to worried about that. However, does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram for the all the exterior lights by chance?

Thanks,
Paul
pejokerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Adair , Oklahoma
I have a 74 31' Sovereign manual that I can scan the wiring diagram for you if that will help. PM me your e mail address and I'll send it to you so you can print it out.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:58 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Brooklet , Georgia
Does anyone know where to find a wiring diagram for a 77 Argosy 28'?
Duckgirl321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckgirl321 View Post
Does anyone know where to find a wiring diagram for a 77 Argosy 28'?
Trailer or motor home?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:41 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
Saint Charles , Missouri
Tailer
pejokerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:51 PM   #6

1973 25' Tradewind
Chouteau , Oklahoma
I have a '73 Land Yacht, I have lost both books on my trailer, would like to find another set. Any ideas?
weggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by weggie View Post
I have a '73 Land Yacht, I have lost both books on my trailer, would like to find another set. Any ideas?
Owners and service manuals are available from Airstream.

They can be purchased from a dealer or Airstream.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:07 AM   #8

Augusta , Georgia
You say you are not worried about doing a complete install of the electrical. Do you have experience installing electrical? I have a completely gutted airstream and I have pretty much been staring blankly at it because I do not know how to wire it. It is the only part of the remodel that I am struggling with, the rest of the project seems very doable for me. I am considering hiring someone to wire it for me so I can get over this hump. Any wiring advice for me?
cehensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Lots where do you want to start? By gutted do you mean the inner skin is off and you have sealed the shell on the inside and have the insulation in? If yes did you mark or do you know where you want ac (115 - 120 volts) and what and where you want the dc (12 volt) run? Hint here is lights power for devices and fridge 9 volt source. Most of the time we like to put things back where they were before and add the new outlets where we want them which keeps us from covering those cut outs from previous no longer desired outlets. Next are you replacing the converter or adding a fuse panel? Last but most important what does she want? Let us know then we will talk gauge and breakers and such then how to check it so that you don't fry the rest of your work!
Cliff
Old 05-03-2014, 06:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Just read your first post and those are the easy ones ! Airstream color code is a bit confusing but it's all good they daisy chained the clearance lights (1 line for CL in the back sometimes green) brakes, backup and running lights are brought up from the distribution box (rats nest splice from tow cable). More in a bit better half beckons!
Cliff
Old 05-18-2014, 12:34 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
Roy , Washington
In the same boat -

Cliff -

Complete gutting - I intend to not remove the interior panels and just run a couple of simple circuits in conduit inside the cabinets (before cabinets are built in...)

Going solar, shore power will be one small circuit of plugs, the rest will be 12v for all LED lights etc.

Intending this to be a boondocking/camping rig so not concerned with making it too pretty... just highly functional.

Solar will prob be a kit from AM Solar or the like, with convtroller, inverter etc.

Thanks for any advice.
truck
truckirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Do you have the mouse or mold smell? Are you going to continue to use the original circuits? There are many reasons we pull those skins searching and sealing leaks pest clean up re insulate! So I was wondering.
Cliff
Old 09-10-2015, 07:29 AM   #13

1986 31' Sovereign
Byron , Michigan
Have 1986 Sovereign 31, the running light wire was off on the inside. so I drill a 1/2 hole by the wire hole. All I can see is a brown wire, black and a white with a wire nut, that go's to the ground on the light. Top front left running light. Thanks
larrylana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:19 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylana View Post
Have 1986 Sovereign 31, the running light wire was off on the inside. so I drill a 1/2 hole by the wire hole. All I can see is a brown wire, black and a white with a wire nut, that go's to the ground on the light. Top front left running light. Thanks
A green wire, is what you need.

Pull a clearance light nloose, that's next to the one that's inop.

That will allow you to add a wire if necessary.

Andy
Old 09-11-2015, 07:52 PM   #15
cmipilot

1975 27' Overlander
Flower Mound , Texas
Picking up a 1975 27' that's been sitting for 15 years. Belonged to my dad before he passed away. Put a new battery in it and the interior lights work. Bad news, I have no running lights anywhere and no wiring diagrams. I recall working on it with my dad back in the 90's but never had any issues with running lights. A place to start? Need to get on the road with it. Vehicle end checks ok.
cmipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:17 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmipilot View Post
Picking up a 1975 27' that's been sitting for 15 years. Belonged to my dad before he passed away. Put a new battery in it and the interior lights work. Bad news, I have no running lights anywhere and no wiring diagrams. I recall working on it with my dad back in the 90's but never had any issues with running lights. A place to start? Need to get on the road with it. Vehicle end checks ok.
Examine everything on the coach.

Exterior gaskets, especially the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets that only last 2 to 3 years.

Also check the following.

The Dura-Torque Axle

Andy
Old 10-08-2015, 07:14 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Paw stuck , Connecticut
I ALSO HAVE GUTTED THE MOUSE HOUSE AND NEED A NEW ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
(1) battery
(2) converter box
(3) inverter/fuse box

going to use my 1971 land yacht for business so just basic track lighting on ceiling four outlets exterior lights air conditioner that's it any sugestions or know anyone in Connecticut that does this kind of work!!!! thanks
Katzmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:20 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Paw stuck , Connecticut
HELLO I haven't ripped out all the wiring its just that I won't have a fridge stove or any appliances safe a roof ac and track lighting maybe 3 or 4 plugs I want to use my AS as a traveling shop so i'll use the tow plug for my exterior and would like to separate that from the interior needs any advise or suggestions for me??? thanks
Katzmeow is offline   Reply With Quote