Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Where's the quality control?

Well, I ordered a new license plate light. took off the 1980 license plate and this is what we found. Harold keeps saying that this trailer was built by college students on spring break and now I have to agree with him.

Why in the world would they install the bracket upside down? If you turn it right side up you can still install the license plate. Also the taillights, now how much effort would it have taken to install them straight?

Annette
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1101.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	80310   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1100.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	80311  

bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Actually as far back as yours was built (and mine) I would suspect some use of marijuana may have figured into it. I found evidence of it in mine behind a wall panel.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes, indeed, it is an issue. We thought ours had been built on a Monday, Friday, day before a holiday, day after a holiday, ad nauseum, but it seems to be a common problem. Not good.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
They are in a hurry to push the units out.
Build them faster and faster..
Seems to be a common issue from the 50's to 00's
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
It seems the Quality control dept has has been layed off to save a few bucks. Bean counters are taking over the build process now.
In this case, "you get what you pay for" does not apply, sadly. These rigs are very expensive and they should have better or some Quality control prior to leaving the factory. Our Komfort was not that bad, problem is is that its square.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullydogsmom View Post
Well, I ordered a new license plate light. took off the 1980 license plate and this is what we found. Harold keeps saying that this trailer was built by college students on spring break and now I have to agree with him.

Why in the world would they install the bracket upside down? If you turn it right side up you can still install the license plate. Also the taillights, now how much effort would it have taken to install them straight?

Annette
Let's see, your trailer is 37 years old, the license plate you took off has been on the trailer for 29 years, and you took the license plate off to replace the light. Sounds to me like the QC of the license plate bracket was not bad at all since it has stayed solidly in place for all this time. From the look of it, I can see no mechanical reason why one would consider it to have been mounted upside down. Perhaps you think so because it has "top" or "up" marked on it somewhere?

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
Let's see, your trailer is 37 years old, the license plate you took off has been on the trailer for 29 years, and you took the license plate off to replace the light. Sounds to me like the QC of the license plate bracket was not bad at all since it has stayed solidly in place for all this time. From the look of it, I can see no mechanical reason why one would consider it to have been mounted upside down. Perhaps you think so because it has "top" or "up" marked on it somewhere?

Tim

Tim If you take a GOOD look at the picture you will see that the bracket is indeed on upside down. There is a hole in the braclket which you can see and that is where the wire is suppose to run through, If you were to swing the bracket UP if would mate with the light. No it's not marked "top" or "Up" I was just born with some common sense.

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
My lights look pretty much like yours, Annette. My opinion is that the design of light assembly was just poor. I decided to leave mine in place, rather than try and straighten them out. I'd probably make things worse.

My tag light still works and the license plate mount is the original. I opted to restore those rather than buy new. Came out pretty nice.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
The `simple truth is, the quality control is not good. The materials are to industry standards ( for the most part) but the assembly leaves something be desired. To many units out the door to fast. Although there are many workers at Airstream who could do their job in their sleep. There are probably a lot of new hires who's only contact with a screw gun was hanging curtains at home. Airstreams should come with a lable stating " some assembly required.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote