Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2021, 08:20 AM   #1

1967 26' Overlander
Columbia , IL
Tail light wiring location 1967 Overlander

Sorry if this is a repeat topic. I have a 1967 Overlander with no power to the rear lights: Brake/turn signal/running lights/clearance lights/license plate/backup. Front three and two front side clearance lights as well as brakes and blue 12 volt power to interior lights work fine. It was my Dad's and sat for a long while, 15 years, before my family decided to get it running this year. Had axels/brakes checked and repacked. New Tires/Wheels. Towed great from South Dakota to Illinois but I had to rig up a set of rear lights for brakes and turn signals for trip off 40 feet of wire run from TV. (I have a 4 flat and 7 blade receiver so I was able to run the temporary lights of 4 flat and brakes off standard 7 blade.) Didn't worry about the clearance lights and only ran in daylight. So I have pulled the access panel at front underside and confirmed, using 12 volt converter and jumper wires as power, that no power is going to rear side clearance lights or any lights on the rear. So my question: what is the wiring path for these rear lights? Is it behind the finished wall board? Is in in the floor? Is there a harness point somewhere accessible in the after part of the trailer to check for power/continuity? Hate to run with temp lights on vacation but don't want to go digging for more problems when I don't know what I am doing. Any thoughts would be helpful.
GenesDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:09 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
Welcome to the forums... Based on my '68 Overlander - wires to the rear ran through a plastic conduit along the inside of the streetside frame rail. Came up through the floor into the rear wall to the streetside of the rear access panel and there had multiple connections to all the lights. I would be very surprised if there was a problem under the floor. At your front access panel there is probably a green wire coming off the connection for all the marker lights that goes to all the front lights so I would look at that connection. Would also be checking continuity through the 7 pin connector, I do all this with a test light but a volt/ohm will work. Will be happy to lend more help...
Regards, Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:49 PM   #3

1967 26' Overlander
Columbia , IL
Reply and thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

"Came up through the floor into the rear wall to the streetside of the rear access panel and there had multiple connections to all the lights."

Does this mean the access panel on the stern where the shore power cord is located or the smaller access panel that houses the battery and the univolt? Also, thanks for mentioning the green wires. I was starting to think that they only handled the front marrker lights. Am I reading you right and this is the case?

Appreciate the help. I have checked all sockets with 12v test light and voltmeter. No power on anything aft and front marker lights all good voltage and good ground.

I will look for wires coming up out of the floor at the stern. glad to hear that they likely don't run through the overhead. Gives me a good new place to look and a break from frustration that was setting in.
GenesDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 04:23 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
I am going to PM you...
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags