Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2016, 06:46 AM   #21
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Make certain to mount said switch outside so annoyed camper neighbors can shut off by themselves! Nobody likes glaring rv lights in a dark star filled night!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:45 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
Wow - lots of great suggestions consider. I will have to think about this for a bit. Thank you all!
Greg
Greg1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:44 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
Thanks Protagonist. If I opt to go with a switch inside, your suggestion of doing both the blocking diode and switch makes sense to be safe. For the blocking diode - I guess I would try to find one that is for 12V and 15 amp capacity (since my wire is 14AWG)? I found this on ebay - http://www.ebay.com/bhp/schottky-blocking-diodes - but hard time finding a 12V one. Any suggestions?

Also, will I need to run a ground to the switch?

Thanks,
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
That type of switch works.

The main reason I recommended a blocking diode instead is that with the diode, you can't forget to switch on the clearance lights when you plug in the umbilical cable; they come on automatically. A blocking diode combined with a simple on/off switch only on the house side lets you choose whether to turn the clearance lights on when camping, but always have them on when the tow vehicle's lights are on.
Greg1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:59 PM   #24
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1410 View Post
Thanks Protagonist. If I opt to go with a switch inside, your suggestion of doing both the blocking diode and switch makes sense to be safe. For the blocking diode - I guess I would try to find one that is for 12V and 15 amp capacity (since my wire is 14AWG)? I found this on ebay - http://www.ebay.com/bhp/schottky-blocking-diodes - but hard time finding a 12V one. Any suggestions?

Also, will I need to run a ground to the switch?

Thanks,
Greg
I got the diodes for my toad at my Airstream dealer, Foley RV in Gulfport, MS. I went with the ones they suggested.

You shouldn't need to run a ground to the switch. The switch simply goes in the hot wire at the location most convenient to you; the lights still are grounded normally.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:28 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Switch for clearance lights

Any silicone rectifier or Schottky diode with a 15 amp rating at any voltage above 12 volts will work.

The voltage rating is not an issue. It's all about current when you are picking a diode for this use.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote